login

Author Topic: thank you members  (Read 8783 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
thank you members
« on: December 27, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »
man i went away briefly to a different board to check something and as always my retinas were almost burned forever by the stupidity i found there.

to qoute " why is this movie in a foreign language?  if the japanese could do it for ol crouching tiger hidden dragon why not this move?"

im sorry to bring such blasphemy here but i just want to say thanks for at least one board on the net not filled with idiots.  Even the people who i disagree with here are generally pleasent. 

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: thank you members
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »
if the japanese could do it for ol crouching tiger hidden dragon why not this move?

I think my brain hurts.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 02:10:30 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and guess IMDb boards, right?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:06:05 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and guess IMDb boards, right?

Those imdb boards are almost as bad as the comments section on youtube, which I consider to be the armpit of the internet.

I used to be at the Rotten Tomatoes boards a lot (~1400 posts), but the elitism and clique-forming got to be too much for me.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:14:12 AM »
Gotta agree. I've been  to message boards, but I give this board awards for both most well-behaved AND most uses of proper spelling and punctuation.

Is there something about the Rifftrax experience that makes people more literate? :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »
Gotta agree. I've been  to message boards, but I give this board awards for both most well-behaved AND most uses of proper spelling and punctuation.

Is there something about the Rifftrax experience that makes people more literate? :^)

I think it's the other way around, but you might be on to something. Have MST and RiffTrax made us smarter? Or at least more articulate? It's possible.

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »
Well, rifftrax and MST show us a different way to look at things that previously we only looked at as the directors, actors and other hollywood machine wanted us to.  Once you open the mind, it's only short steps to questioning everything.  Let's face it, life is but a dream, and once you wake up, the mind grows.

Also I notice a lot of us are also fans of the Sci-fi/Fantasy genres and that tends to be thinker's entertainment.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Agenda.. er..  Dragon was MADE to be how it was for a HUGE amount of ca$h.  Not all movies have gobs of liquid assets to draw from.

All forums have their idiots, in fact on one board I frequent, the rule "DO NOT ASK ABOUT ROMS" is clearly posted at the top, yet in every topic asking how to use emulators?  Normally includes the question "Where do I get the ROMfiles?"  *shakes head*  These same people put out their cigarettes on the No Smoking signs, I'm sure.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »
These same people put out their cigarettes on the No Smoking signs, I'm sure.

They also choke and die when they forget to read the instructions on the flight peanuts.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »
They also choke and die when they forget to read the instructions on the flight peanuts

And hopefully they do that before they breed with anyone.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 01:03:01 PM »
It's quite simple.

When you watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 or watch a movie with Rifftrax commentary, you gain knowledge. You gain experience. You become more aware of your surroundings. Your IQ increases.

We is smarter than those uther stupids is!!

:D

• Compsognathus
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
how much experience do i need to gain before i gain a level?

Offline mdh65120

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 03:57:55 PM »

I think it's the other way around, but you might be on to something. Have MST and RiffTrax made us smarter? Or at least more articulate? It's possible.

I think for both MST and Rifftrax the standard of intelligence that the guys held us to was very high.  Sure there's some silly Sophmoric humor now and then, but to get all the jokes you have to be culturally aware in a way most audiences are never asked to be.   You need to be fairly well educated, literate, and aware of what goes on in the world around you.   There's nothing more satisfying than listening to an old MST or a Rifftrax and hearing them make a fairly obscure reference to something you actually know about.   The fact that they would put a joke in for that small number of people who know that rock band's lyrics or once saw an episode of The Prisoner is like a little private moment between friends.  I think one of the problems I had with talking people into watching MST or listening to Rifftrax is they didn't "get it".   Either the concept annoyed them or they just didn't get very many of the jokes.   My vote is that the folks who love Rifftrax are smarter than your average bear.   Of course, I would think that wouldn't I?  ha ha
Kenny:  I don't care! (Time of the Apes)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 04:31:34 PM »

I think for both MST and Rifftrax the standard of intelligence that the guys held us to was very high.  Sure there's some silly Sophmoric humor now and then, but to get all the jokes you have to be culturally aware in a way most audiences are never asked to be.   You need to be fairly well educated, literate, and aware of what goes on in the world around you.   There's nothing more satisfying than listening to an old MST or a Rifftrax and hearing them make a fairly obscure reference to something you actually know about.   The fact that they would put a joke in for that small number of people who know that rock band's lyrics or once saw an episode of The Prisoner is like a little private moment between friends.  I think one of the problems I had with talking people into watching MST or listening to Rifftrax is they didn't "get it".   Either the concept annoyed them or they just didn't get very many of the jokes.   My vote is that the folks who love Rifftrax are smarter than your average bear.   Of course, I would think that wouldn't I?  ha ha

I don't always think it's intelligence. I think it's more tied into being well rounded overall which doesn't exactly require intelligence but, rather, experience.

Regardless, I have to say that it's great to be on a board with people who not only know how to use the shift key, but actually know how to spell (mostly)!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
  I don't always think it's intelligence. I think it's more tied into being well rounded overall which doesn't exactly require intelligence but, rather, experience.

Regardless, I have to say that it's great to be on a board with people who not only know how to use the shift key, but actually know how to spell (mostly)!

Quoted for truth.

But I'm not sure if I find your indenting of first lines impressive or annoying...

Either way, the only other board I'm on that seems to have this general level of erudition is the Brian K. Vaughan Cabal board. No, wait...A Special Thing, the comedy board, is quite sharp too, overall.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 06:26:33 PM »
If you want my honest opinion, I think the Rifftrax board is so nice because of it's size.  I've been on many boards/goups that started out nice and intelligent and then, when they took off, became complete and total chaos...one of them was even mst3k related (never posted but I read until I got annoyed).

Generally one either indents the first sentence of paragraphs or one skips a line between paragraphs.  On the other hand, generally paragraphs are more than just one line.  I'm sure you all knew that because you're super-intelligent rifftraxers, but I thought I'd share.   ;D
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?