Author Topic: I just finished watching..........................  (Read 131349 times)

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
Re: I just finished watching..........................
« Reply #375 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Thor

Some solid riffing but nothing spectacular. The movie was very hard to take, swallow and redeliver. Branaugh has finally stopped ruining Shakespeare though and that is good. The movie was even worse than I could possibly imagine.

When are they going to stop doing the cliche two people (or three in this case) hanging onto each other above an abyss thing? (Last seen in Star Trek reboot). I laughed at that more than any of the riffs, I think.

7 out of 10

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #376 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »

Sometimes with the big budget blockbuster riffs, the jokes rarely rise above 'mildly amusing' and the whole thing just gives me a vibe of being obligatory... Like they went into the thing knowing they had to write a riff because it made a gazillion at the box office and it was going to sell a kabillion DVD copies. Thankfully, Avatar did not fall into that category. While it's a three hour movie and not a non-stop side splitter... the movie offered up a lot of great riff fuel during the middle 90-120 minutes and the guys delivered a lot of laughs. I'm pushing 40 years old... and I'm sure Mike, Kevin and Bill are all 10-20 years older than I am... and they dropped a freakin Boy Meets World riff in there. I guess that could come from a staff writer or freelancer or whatever... seeing I was in college when that show was on the air, I can't imagine Mike or Bill having any point of reference for it.... But it was that kind of riff overall... Lots of clever / obscure riffs... Lots of laughing at the movie, virtually no bashing it without really making a joke... like they were occasionally guilty of during the SW prequels.

They weren't going through the motions, you could tell they had a good time with this. Probably not something that I would consider a 'top 10' or whatever... but I'm very glad I finally got around to watching it... and bummed out that it took so long to get there. I really couldn't imagine watching Avatar again without the Rifftrax... which I guess could be a backhanded compliment... but good times all around. I give it a B+

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #377 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
what's with my double post? why aren't you kids eating your wheaties and just finshing the watching of Rifftraxes?

Titanic

As time goes on... I realize that I actually like this movie. Sure, the script is bloated... I really think they could have found some more economical way of setting up the story besides Bill Paxton Treasure Hunter and his bizarre move of flying a 100 year old woman out to the middle of the North Atlantic by helicopter... But anyways... the movie generally went down easy on this viewing. Considering all the setup at the beginning and the hour of sinking ship at the end... the romance in the middle isn't really overdrawn or tedious... There are a few great jerkoff bad guy evil types in Zane and Warner... After going over a decade between viewings... I was surprised that I enjoyed this three hour behemoth as much as I did.

Mike, Kevin and Bill deliver a lot of really funny lines... and I guess I shouldn't complain about the 100 year old woman... as the really, really elderly always seem to provide great riff fuel. Eventually they did seem to founder a bit towards the end when about all the movie was giving them were various stuntmen and CGI folks plummeting off railings... but overall another great riff on a three hour Cameron epic.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
Watched Galaxy Invader for the second time.

Still my favorite riff yet. So Mst season eight. So many great jokes. A classic.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
Shorts to Go

Good set here.  Love the seat belt short, although I can come up with a better excuse for not wearing a seat belt that this thing.

But I must comment on William's Doll.  This one was funny yes, but it really makes you think.  Why is it OK in society for a girl to play boy's games but a boy cannot have a doll?  Yes, things have changed a bit (more PC), but boys still get made fun of for it.  I remember my friend's son (he's 17 now) asking for a doll at five.  You'd have thought he'd said the most horrible thing in the world.  He did get his doll, and played with it, not in the the creepy way in the short though. 

And the Gasoline short.  People cleaned clothes with gasoline?  The Hell?

Now I'm going to go purchase Galaxy Invader and Crater Lake Monster.  Wheeee!!!
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Still my favorite riff yet. So Mst season eight. So many great jokes. A classic.

That's a powerful endorsement.  I think I need to see this one.

Just be prepared for a lot of redneck jokes!

Watched Braniac and the new short Joy Ride.

Joy Ride was a fun short but the riffing was just so so.

Brainiac was a blast.  A truly strange film. I'm torn between giving it a nine or an eight.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

I thought the riffing was pretty good in that.  And what a strange short, most lame scare film ever, it pretty much says stealing a car is a lot of fun, just avoid the crash at the end.

Offline pegaso220379

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

I thought the riffing was pretty good in that.  And what a strange short, most lame scare film ever, it pretty much says stealing a car is a lot of fun, just avoid the crash at the end.

Joyride was a short our riffing troupe picked to riff at first, but later we decided against it because of the ending and that it was based on actual events...which wasn't very funny.  I applaud them in the attempt, and I agree the riff was so-so (as have their riffs from most of this year have been, sadly).

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
I just want to say a so-so riff is still funnier than anything else out there right now. Which means pretty damn funny.

They can't knock it out of the ballpark every time. I think the riffing on the VODs has been really great this year. Many of the shorts too.

Now, if you'll excuse me...I'm gonna go get duded up, baby!

Offline MissEJ23

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
Prisoners of the Lost Universe. I never met an MST/RiffTrax that I didn't enjoy, but I've always thought that Mike, Bill and Kevin do their very best work with the fantasy crap from the 80s (Outlaw, Deathstalker and that school). There's just so much to work with from those decades: clothes, hair and music, as well as the strange longing to be the new Conan. Prisoners of the Lost Universe kept me laughing pretty steadily throughout, particularly the comments on John Saxon trying to be an intimidating warlord in his disco outfit. It's not quite Outlaw (missing Jack Palance picking up a paycheck) but I'd highly recommend it for people who love Mike & Co.'s work on the sword and sorcery pics.

« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
Just received Crater Lake Monster and Galaxy Invader in the mail today!

Yay!

« Reply #386 on: July 23, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
Watched Galaxy Invader again last night.

And all day at work today I was humming the end credits.  Bunky Hart!  Cracks me up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:04:40 AM by Mrs. Dick Courier »

Danecho1967

« Reply #387 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
Birdemic.  Was surprised that, even though I knew some of the jokes were coming, I laughed at them again.  Just a great riff.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #388 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
Flatliners - really great stuff.  Any riff that can reference Dark City, Double Dare, and "This Used to be My Playground" in that same movie is a winner.

This one doesn't look like it's selling very well.  C'mon people start buying!
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Danecho1967

« Reply #389 on: July 29, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  The Riff was as good as I've heard on this forum.  NPH did a great job.

It's been years since I've seen the movie, and now I remember why I was never compelled to watch it again.  The guys said the filmmakers were high...  That's an understatement.  Damn.