Author Topic: I just finished watching..........................  (Read 113651 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: I just finished watching..........................
« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2019, 02:25:59 PM »
Gammera The Invincible. I liked the MST3K version better. It had better riffing and Joel explicitly said that he liked the movie, and even though I'm sure Mike and Bill love GTI as much as Sandy Frank's distribution of Gamera, Sandy Frank's version was in color and had anglicized names, which made it more digestible (and paradoxically more riffable).

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 243
« Reply #706 on: January 25, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
Gammera The Invincible - despite its popularity, the MST version was never a real knockout for me. Good, with some top notch skits, but not brilliant. So for me, this one isn't the weak sister of the two. I like getting a different version of the movie, and of course the new quips. Maybe not a complete laugh-riot, but fun and funny.

Also Mind Ripper and Honor and Glory

And a bunch of shorts. The funniest... A Day with Fireman Bill, Six Murderous Beliefs and What Mary Jo Wanted (with MJ and Bridget)

And with the current weekend sale I pretty much cleared out my wishlist. I picked up 19 Trax (features and shorts) so plenty to look forward to.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:50:47 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 379
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #707 on: February 07, 2019, 06:56:22 AM »
...but I really wish that we'd get more "just the jokes" of bad movies like this instead of just Star Wars movies.

Reign of Fire actually spends a couple minutes referencing Star Wars too!  ;D ;D

I decided to look at the past 20 Just the Jokes riffs to see how that criticism holds up. There are only 3, but that reaches back to the past 6 years. They really don't release Just the Jokes often enough imo. My guess is they make more money with VODs, so I can't really blame them.

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #708 on: February 07, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
I finished Yor, Hunter From the Future today. I watched it back to back and the gym with a merging of the MST3K and Rifftrax Live Space Mutinies. I'm basically a strong man now.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
So, my friend has a new TV that included the rifftrax network thing. They saw Fun in Balloonland for the first time, which we all loved. Which was then followed by Rollargator which opens with
"Rollargator, because we didn't think we could get you to watch Fun in Balloonland either."

Whoever decided on the play order was a genius.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #710 on: February 15, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
Mothra - The disc I have is the Japanese release, so obviously that wouldn't work... but I did find a copy in English - and I pretty much got it synched up from the start. So no adjustments, just kicked back and enjoyed. I liked it a lot at the start, but felt it faded down the stretch (or maybe I just got tired). Wish I'd have been able to have made it to the theater and saw it with a crowd.

Naturally A Girl - I was in stitches start to finish. Killer work from B&MJ.

I also picked up Beyond Christmas and Deadly Instincts, so I have more from the ladies to look forward to.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #711 on: February 22, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
Krull - I finally got time to sit down and watch this. I even remembered some riffs from the live show (since it's basically a re-recording of the live show). I really enjoyed this one. At the end, I found out that Colwyn was played by Ken Marshall and not Liam Neeson as I originally thought; Liam Neeson played Regan.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4408
« Reply #712 on: February 22, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »
I hope they can eventually get to Ladyhawke at some point.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #713 on: March 09, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
Sketchfest 2019
Good show, but where was Mike? Liked that Frank and Trace got time to do three straight shorts and they were all new to me shorts, but it was kind of Frank on his own as Trace's voice was shot and half the time when he did riff you couldn't understand him. Sean Thomason filled in for Mary Jo with Bridget and did fine but seemed to lack some confidence that he had no reason to lack. Despite my apparent criticisms, enjoyed it more than some of the other Sketchfests and still really glad they release these as the chances of me ever going to one live are slim to none.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #714 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »
Sketchfest 2019
Good show, but where was Mike? Liked that Frank and Trace got time to do three straight shorts and they were all new to me shorts, but it was kind of Frank on his own as Trace's voice was shot and half the time when he did riff you couldn't understand him. Sean Thomason filled in for Mary Jo with Bridget and did fine but seemed to lack some confidence that he had no reason to lack. Despite my apparent criticisms, enjoyed it more than some of the other Sketchfests and still really glad they release these as the chances of me ever going to one live are slim to none.

I had to put on earbuds in order to catch what Trace was saying, it really helped. And man the audience just lost it over the Cautious Twins. Very funny work. I thought Janet and Cole were hilarious too. Despite missing some MVPs (and 1 losing his voice) this was a goodie.

I watched She Demons
It's another classic from B&MJ. And another goodie from Richard E. Cunha. Between this and Missile to the Moon I think Rifftrax needs to do more Cunha. Frankenstein's Daughter cries out for a riffing.

Online losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 298
« Reply #715 on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:30 AM »
Sketchfest 2019

I had to put on earbuds in order to catch what Trace was saying, it really helped. And man the audience just lost it over the Cautious Twins. Very funny work. I thought Janet and Cole were hilarious too. Despite missing some MVPs (and 1 losing his voice) this was a goodie.

I watched She Demons
It's another classic from B&MJ. And another goodie from Richard E. Cunha. Between this and Missile to the Moon I think Rifftrax needs to do more Cunha. Frankenstein's Daughter cries out for a riffing.

I agree. Frankenstein's Daughter has to be done. They can skip Giant of the Unknown though. That was is TOO boring.

Online losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 298
« Reply #716 on: April 10, 2019, 02:56:33 AM »
Shorts Marathon!

Started with What Mary Jo Wanted and then watched every release from World of Tupperware to Tommy's Day.

What Mary Jo Wanted is one of their best. A classic I'd say from MJ and B.

Every short was excellent but the standouts were Farm Animals and Tommy's Day. The latter was so weird for a film about losing a tooth. If that's what it was about. Maybe it was a cautionary tale about letting your sister watch your bathroom routine.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #717 on: April 14, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
…The Rifftrax Presents of  Flash Gordon: Purple Death from Outer Space. Wow, this film was meandering and boring. Not to mention that it is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I find it ironic that Rollergator is an infinitely worse film yet is way more interesting than this PoS.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #718 on: April 26, 2019, 04:41:37 AM »
Invasion of the Animal People - brilliant! This was like old-school MST3K. You have a painfully bad B&W movie (one that I'd hoped MST would do back in the day) and quips that are chock full of funny references. Simply a joy, so glad I finally got to see this movie riffed.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #719 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Jack and the Giant Killer: Live This was one of those movies, like Magic Sword, which wasn't actually bad. It was very standard for the genre, which was popular for a time. The riffs were fun, much like... Magic Sword's were. So this is a rare case of a work that can be enjoyed on two levels.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:12:05 PM by dbsommer »