Author Topic: RiffTrax Movies that have had quality upgrades!  (Read 413 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
RiffTrax Movies that have had quality upgrades!
« on: June 30, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Fellow forum member SIRHAMHAT pointed out that a few titles have quietly been upgraded to HD!! Let's use this thread to keep track of picture upgrades that have happened since they first released!

WARRIORS OF THE WASTELAND - upgraded to HD
R.O.T.O.R. - upgraded to HD
Killers from Space - Upgraded SD from original release

I went through the catalog and didn't see anymore but if you find them post them and I will update this list!
There are a few movies that I know have HD masters so let's hope they find their way here!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:19:47 PM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
Re: RiffTrax Movies that have had quality upgrades!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
Awesome!!  8)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 164
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
Fellow forum member SIRHAMHAT pointed out that a few titles have quietly been upgraded to HD!! Let's use this thread to keep track of picture upgrades that have happened since they first released!

I went through the catalog and didn't see anymore but if you find them post them and I will update this list!
There are a few movies that I know have HD masters so let's hope they find their way here!

R.O.T.O.R.'s upgraded to HD? I gotta get my hands on the HD version!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:03:30 PM by MrTorso »

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 273
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »

This was a desperately needed upgrade. I actually started to try to do it myself. I'm glad that's off the plate.

Is this the same upgrade that came out shortly after the original, or did they upgrade again?

Killers From Space was also recently upgraded (not HD, but MUCH better video)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:41:03 AM by eegah »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »

Is this the same upgrade that came out shortly after the original, or did they upgrade again?

I went through the old posts and the one you refer to was a SD upgrade that was better than the original. This is a full HD upgrade.

Here are a couple of caps. not the same frame but you can get the gist.
SD:

HD:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:18:39 PM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline SIRHAMHAT

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 03:11:04 AM »
I am more than willing to put up a dedicated thread. Usually these threads are a community effort like this thread since none of these have ever been advertised as becoming available. We just find them periodically.  I will start a thread with these titles and see where it goes!

Sorry for the extremely-delayed response... AND... Thank you for starting the new upgrades thread, based on our discussion, MrTorso.

Again, I think lot's o' Rifftrax fans would be excited to upgrade their older SD copies if they only KNEW they were available. Obviously, the more people that buy these, the more Rifftrax will have the funds & incentive to upgrade others as better prints/copies come available. As much as I love Rifftrax, I don't think they've done a good job of drawing attention to the upgrades. I'm a Drip member, a Kickstarter backer/subscriber, an email subscriber, facebook & Instagram subscriber (plus, I check all of those everyday)--and still, I was unaware of the upgrades available. I know there are not pristine, blu ray versions of ALL of the movies they've riffed, but the ones that ARE available & they have access to, I'd love for them to make that happen. Abraxas & Laser Mission are 2 that I'd REALLY love to see them upgrade.

Another one that I'd love to see upgraded & definitely has an HD version available is Ghosthouse. Similar to R.O.T.O.R., Scream Factory released a Special Edition Blu Ray of that. Since they HAVE, in fact, upgraded R.O.T.O.R., I wonder if Scream Factory works with them to share the profits of the HD version. I don't know how all of that works... Anyhow, my main points of all this jazz, are A.) I'd LOVE to see many, MANY more UPGRADES, 2.) cause I'll buy the heck out of 'em... & Q.) They need to find a better way to promote the upgrades, even though 7.) I don't exactly have a suggestion of what the best way to do that is, but still... x+19.) Maybe, at least, put some better way to search for them on the site, cause y-z2.) the ones that definitely ARE upgraded don't show up when you tick the "Available in HD" option in the site's search engine, so that's just a matter of some site upkeep, but corn=grass.) I hate to sound like a whiny little baby, but I guess, in many ways, I'm kind of being that, but it's only cause 2, again.). I wanna' buy more Rifftrax stuff... Xx.) Can't be bad.

Whenever I have a free moment, I have been slowly searching through the SD VODs to find more upgrades. And I found one more... So, to MrTorso: Please add this to the list, at your convenience (& Thanks again!):

City of Dead
https://www.rifftrax.com/city-of-the-dead

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 273
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »
Abraxas & Laser Mission are 2 that I'd REALLY love to see them upgrade.
I agree wholeheartedly with those. I actually found a better copy of Laser Mission and did it myself because I was so annoyed with that print (and love that riff!).

Another one that I'd love to see upgraded & definitely has an HD version available is Ghosthouse.
I never noticed any issue with that one.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
Whenever I have a free moment, I have been slowly searching through the SD VODs to find more upgrades. And I found one more... So, to MrTorso: Please add this to the list, at your convenience (& Thanks again!):

City of Dead

That one has always been available as HD. The release date was May 15, 2014 and I bought it May 17, 2014 as HD.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
There are a number of titles that have HD versions out there that I have been able to re-author my own.

Viva Knievel
Night of the Lepus
McBain
Crater Lake Monster
House on Haunted Hill
Stone Cold
The Wizard

Offline SIRHAMHAT

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
City of Dead
That one has always been available as HD. The release date was May 15, 2014 and I bought it May 17, 2014 as HD.

Oh, crazy! I must have accidentally bought the SD version... Woops! I could have been watching City of Dead in HD this whole time!

That's how I've been checking to see if they have been upgraded to HD is cause I own all of the VODs, so I just go to the purchase page and if there is an option to add "$2.00 for HD", then I know it has been upgraded.

There are a number of titles that have HD versions out there that I have been able to re-author my own.

Viva Knievel
Night of the Lepus
McBain
Crater Lake Monster
House on Haunted Hill
Stone Cold
The Wizard

Oh, wow! That's cool. I hadn't thought of doing that... That's a really good list of riffs too. I AM tech savvy enough to do it, but I hadn't thought to track down all of the HD versions of the movies they'd riffed. I still do my own DVD/blu ray rips/muxing for the "Just the Jokes" mp3 releases. I know they have the app & all that, but I'm too stuck in my ways to not have the movie & riff married together into ONE file. Plus, I like to make sure the audio is properly ducked & all that... I still need to re-tackle The Fifth Element... It's an absolute mess!!! Anyhow... Well, I'll let you know if I find any more, OR more that I accidentally purchased in SD... but, I'd say the very short master list of upgrades may already be COMPLETE!

Here's to them continuing to upgrade!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:10:00 AM »
The ones I listed I was able to take the riffed audio and mux it with the HD versions pretty easily. There are a few more titles that have HD versions BUT they now edit the films so it can't be a straight mux job and I just haven't had the time to try to figure out the cuts needed to make them work.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
Surprised that The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant doesn't have an HD version here.. KINO Lorber released it on blu-ray WITH the RiffTrax.