Author Topic: PAL versions slow in coming?  (Read 975 times)

Offline Miron

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
PAL versions slow in coming?
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:27 AM »
Sorry if this question has been asked before: I searched and couldn't find it, though I would guess that many people would be ticked off as much as I am.

I've noticed that some RiffTrax take awfully long for the PAL version to show up. For example, The Happening PAL DVD has been out for six months, but there's still no PAL RiffTrax. The same goes for The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk: Final Round, and Dark Water.

I'm not sure how much effort has to be put into a NTSC->PAL conversion, but with an appropriate tool this should be more or less automatic, shouldn't it?

So what's the deal here? Does anyone know?

--Miron

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
Re: PAL versions slow in coming?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:15 AM »
Miron,

I'm surprised that the Dark Knight and Happening are not up yet.  I will see if we have received them and just been slow in adding them.  The reason that the process is not automatic is that sometimes the PAL version of the movie will be a different cut.  We have someone in New Zealand who checks these for us before we add the PAL files to the products.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 339
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »
TDK is up, The Happening I still haven't been able to rent Fatso still have it High Demand! It's been at the top of my list since it was released.

Offline Miron

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Conor! (And for the update, BathTub.)

I'm afraid the situation is now worse than ever: I'm counting four official RiffTrax (The Happening, Incredible Hulk: Final Round, The Empire Strikes Back, Red Dawn) and six RiffTrax Presents (Dark Water -been waiting for that one for way more than a year now-, Die Hard, Tron, The Running Man, Ghost, Batman Forever) where there are PAL DVDs that should be identical to the standard NTSC versions.

I'm specifically not complaining about movies where it would be hard to check if the PAL version is close enough to the NTSC one, i.e. Reefer Madness, Little Shop of Horrors, House on Haunted Hill, Night of the Living Dead, Missile to the Moon, Carnival of Souls, Swing Parade, Planet of Dinosaurs, and The Room -- though at least Little Shop, House on Haunted Hill and NOTLD are available in so many good DVD transfers that there should be few problems.

But really, with ten reasonably available PAL versions missing, I'm starting to feel a little left alone as a PAL region user, especially since I already own six of those ten movies as PAL DVDs...

(I've also suggested a list of alternate DVD versions with syncing hints [direly needed for Troll 2, for instance], and offered to help out with some of my DVDs, and I still think that would be a good starting point if the main issue is that the PAL versions might differ from the NTSC ones.)