login

Author Topic: Shy Guy still compressed  (Read 6605 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 207
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Re: Shy Guy still compressed
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
Yup. Tested  with Source Audio files included with the short also. No syncing necessary.

Thanks a million!

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »
Okay guys... here is the video in its proper aspect ratio encoded correctly. No audio is included, just the corrected video.   [...]

http://riffage.nwbagpiper.com/misc/Shy Guy(no audio).mpg (400 Mb)

Mucho gracias!

• Big Montana
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
... except that I can't seem to get it to work right.  If I play the video in VLC, it's 13:39 (which matches the length of the audio files I have).  But when I go to run the video through some other program to combine all the tracks, I end up with the video being 16:22 long.  Things go downhill from there.

I should stick to systems-level programming.  I have no luck when it comes to the world of user-level applications!   (the main problem is that I try to run these programs without reading any of the manuals, and I don't have the background where I can get away with doing that...)

This does get me closer though.  I'll stumble on through it some future weekend.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:41:24 PM by Invisible NanoGhost »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 118
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
... except that I can't seem to get it to work right.  If I play the video in VLC, it's 13:39 (which matches the length of the audio files I have).  But when I go to run the video through some other program to combine all the tracks, I end up with the video being 16:22 long.  Things go downhill from there.

I should stick to systems-level programming.  I have no luck when it comes to the world of user-level applications!   (the main problem is that I try to run these programs without reading any of the manuals, and I don't have the background where I can get away with doing that...)

This does get me closer though.  I'll stumble on through it some future weekend.

That's kind of weird... but some program behave differently if the audio length does not match exactly. I didn't include the rifftrax logo in the vid so that I don't interfere with rifftrax's copywrite stuff. Maybe I can help... what were you needing to combine the video/audio files for? Are you needing to do that in order to re-author it to a dvd or are you doing something different? And what programs are giving you trouble?

• Big Montana
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »
I'd probably just drive you nuts, because I know so little about the topic.  I've got Final Cut Express, and it won't take this .mpg file, but it will take a digital-video (.dv) file.  I can get to that format by running your video through VisualHub, but then I always end up with a 16-minute video.  One other odd thing is that when I'm playing this video in VLC, VLC is not able to display how far into the movie it is.  When I play this video, the time-counter in the VLC player window stays at 00:00.  Sometimes when I play it, the timer will update to something like "02:02" -- and then just stays at that value.  It plays the right length of time (I sat here with a stopwatch to time it...), but the VLC program doesn't seem to know how long the video has been playing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:57:49 PM by Invisible NanoGhost »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 10:04:44 PM »
I'd probably just drive you nuts, because I know so little about the topic.  I've got Final Cut Express, and it won't take this .mpg file, but it will take a digital-video (.dv) file.  I can get to that format by running your video through VisualHub, but then I always end up with a 16-minute video.  One other odd thing is that when I'm playing this video in VLC, VLC is not able to display how far into the movie it is.  Usually the time-counter stays at 00:00, but sometimes it will update to something like "02:02" -- and then just stays at that value.  It plays the right length of time (I sat here with a stopwatch to time it...), but the VLC program doesn't seem to know how long it has been playing.

Okay... I ran the mpeg through various programs and it seems to work fine with anything I use (DVDlab, etc...). I did check VLCplayer... and that appears to never show the time for mpeg streams that do not have audio. This is normal for VLC for every mpeg video stream I've tried. I've never used Final Cut... but something that you might try is converting the video to DV first. I found this program http://www.squared5.com/ that was recommended for those having trouble importing mpeg files in the program. From what I read it seems the program isn't the most compatible when it comes to mpeg format. I'm just guessing... but maybe this will help!

• Big Montana
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »
...   I found this program http://www.squared5.com/ that was recommended for those having trouble importing mpeg files in the program. From what I read it seems the program isn't the most compatible when it comes to mpeg format. I'm just guessing... but maybe this will help!

Well, that was a big help!  When I tried to convert the video using that application, it told me that I didn't have the MPEG-2 Quicktime playback component -- even though I thought I did have that installed.  But I didn't, so I bought a copy from Apple.  With that installed, things seem to be working right.  In fact, with that installed it looks like I can just pull the original video into Final Cut Express.  Before I kept getting "unknown error" when I tried.

So, Thanks again!  I might finally be able to get somewhere with all these apps I've bought!     :)

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »
Glad I could help... I would've never guessed that installing quicktime would fix it! But hey, whatever works.

• Big Montana
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
Quicktime was already installed (Quicktime Pro, in fact).  This is a $20 quicktime add-on which just adds support for MPEG-2.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »
Quicktime was already installed (Quicktime Pro, in fact).  This is a $20 quicktime add-on which just adds support for MPEG-2.

That makes a bit more sense now.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 04:22:10 AM »
You paid 20 dollars for a codec?  I've got a bridge....
On timeout

• Big Montana
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »
Well, I've made something like $20,000 on Apple stock that I bought back in 2001, so I feel kinda loyal to Apple.

Certainly more loyal than I feel to Sun Computers right now!

Offline onib

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 06:25:49 AM »
First of all, thanks a lot to Piobman for the suggestions as well as the fixed video file. 

I got curious to try to get the issue worked out myself.  So, I started with Piobman's 1st solution to dumux the audio & video, then fix the aspect ratio to be correct.  Afterwards, I used MPEG Streamclip to crop the video.  However, it annoyed me that MPEG Streamclip cannot output MPEG video, so I did some more looking.

It turns out that the latest version of eRightSoft's SUPER has some great enhancements. (Now, it allows muxing/demuxing as well as stream conversion and also allows for AviSynth scripting interface.)  So, in one program, I was able to take the original video, do a direct stream copy of the audio, and convert the video stream to 4:3 aspect ratio while cropping about 107 pixels from the left & right sides.  This created a fixed video with perfect audio sync that was still in MPEG-2 format.  The only issues I saw were: (1) getting a copy of SUPER is always annoying as you have to navigate through several different screens before reaching the download link, (2) you can't pick the exact video bitrate to match the original, so I picked the next higher value so as not to lose any quality, and (3) the aspect change causes the Rifftrax tag at the end to appear stretched - however, this is acceptable to me.

If anyone is interested in a screen cap of the values I used in SUPER to convert it correctly (e.g. you need to use the FFmpeg radio button rather than the default Mencoder for encoding if you don't also use AviSynth, etc.), then I would be happy to paste one here.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 731
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 07:55:46 AM »
I was going to try to fix that mpeg myself then I realized I have the same DVDs that RiffTrax has been using for some of the shorts and I just ripped it from there.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »
RiffTrax team... are we ever going to get an official replacement for this short?  Two versions have been released to date and both have had problems.