Author Topic: Video Game Bargain Thread  (Read 173699 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Video Game Bargain Thread
« Reply #615 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
I hope it's still there on Thursday (payday) because I've wanted that one for quite a while. Yeah, I'm that damn broke.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #616 on: December 18, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
I'd recommend picking up the DVD version. I'm at about the 10 hour mark of the download and I'm on file 3/22 downloaded. This is allegedly through Amazon's servers too (I saw an Amazonaws notice as it began.)

For better news, go here: 
Amazon's offering Bioshock 1, 2 and Spec Ops The Line for $9.99. It's very much worth it. (and you get a $5 credit towards downloads next month too. Yes, they activate on Steam)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1785
« Reply #617 on: December 18, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
Sweet!  Just snagged it. 20 hours of downloading is worth the less than $2.00 price tag. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #618 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
http://www.gog.com is having an "end of the world" sale. There's lots of cool old and indie games for sale.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #619 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »
I'd recommend picking up the DVD version. I'm at about the 10 hour mark of the download and I'm on file 3/22 downloaded. This is allegedly through Amazon's servers too (I saw an Amazonaws notice as it began.)

Boy, you're not kidding. I started a day ago and I'm on file 8 of 22. Downloading most modern titles takes me 4 hours tops. I'll probably be able to play this by Christmas. :^)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #620 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »

Boy, you're not kidding. I started a day ago and I'm on file 8 of 22. Downloading most modern titles takes me 4 hours tops. I'll probably be able to play this by Christmas. :^)

At the 36 hour mark (or so) I've just started file 13 of 22. These are "torrents back when I still had dialup" speed.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #621 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »

At the 36 hour mark (or so) I've just started file 13 of 22. These are "torrents back when I still had dialup" speed.

I finished!  Let's see, I started at 11 pm two nights ago and finished around 4 am today, so that's 29 hrs for me.  I win the race!  Suck it!  I smoked both you!  I'm lightning fast!

Sorry, got a little carried away with competition there.  I'd still say it was worth it due to the under $2.00 price tag.  I do like living in Manhattan for this very reason; I'm usually pretty close to the east side servers and I get a little bump in download speed and a nice low ping for online games. 

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #622 on: December 20, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
Yep, just snagged it myself and I can take the crappy download speed for less than $2 for a game I've wanted to play ever since it came out.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #623 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Steam Holiday sale now live.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #624 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »

Whew, nothing I want yet.  I shouldn't spend any more money but it's so hard for me to resist a steam sale.

Yep, just snagged it myself and I can take the crappy download speed for less than $2 for a game I've wanted to play ever since it came out.

I'm having fun with it so far.  I've played a few adventure games before, not a ton but a few.  In my experience the key is figuring out how the game thinks.  Now that I've figured out what the game considers clickable and fair play (and not cheap and annoying as was my original assessment) I'm having some fun.  For example, whole control panels sometimes give you the "clickable" cursor no matter where you point, yet you're supposed to click on the tiny little lever you can barely make out at the top of the panel before you click on the panel, because you can't see the lever when you're zoomed in on the panel. Grrrr. Had quite a bit of frustrating trouble to begin with, but I've past that and now I'm making progress. 

The game crashes quite a lot.  It freezes a lot too, but still lets you save and reload while frozen, which fixes the problem.  This actually turns out to be a boon because it forces you to save more often which at least helps you not pull your hair out from the frequent crashing.  But it's an old game, I can't really complain. 

The graphics hold up well enough I'd say, but some of the design choices really date it.  You can only skip transitions sometimes, and when you can't it becomes mighty tedious watching the camera float around again.  But I'm having fun slowly uncovering the campy-but-interesting story as I wander around the ship grumpily looking at things.  Extended hibernation has apparently made me really disgruntled in addition to my amnesia. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:44:18 PM by varietyofcells »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #625 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »

I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.  :speechless:

Today's offerings are somewhat "meh" or games I already have. The only one that intrigues me is Hitman: Absolution for $25.
Reviews are generally positive. Is it worth getting?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #626 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Nevermind. I got it anyways. It was $25. What the hell.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #627 on: December 21, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Nevermind. I got it anyways. It was $25. What the hell.

Do you have any idea how much that sounds like me?

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1193
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #628 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
Today's Steam Sale (which ends in 38 minutes) you can buy both Darksiders games and all the DLC for Darksiders 2 for about $13.59. Odd, since they're charging $16.99 for Darksiders 2 by itself.

EDIT: Sorry, make that 38 hours.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #629 on: December 21, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
Today's Steam Sale (which ends in 38 minutes) you can buy both Darksiders games and all the DLC for Darksiders 2 for about $13.59. Odd, since they're charging $16.99 for Darksiders 2 by itself.

EDIT: Sorry, make that 38 hours.

I can beat that. The package is $13.19 on Amazon. It still activates on Steam too.