Author Topic: This movie is mean  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Goshzilla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
This movie is mean
« on: December 25, 2006, 01:43:07 AM »
I'm not even comenting on the riff trax either. Down right awful.

Let's see here

1.) Picked on by everyone because of his big ears. The narrator and the animators have to bring this fact up.
2.) The owner throws him around, I mean really beating up the poor donkey. "You didn't earn your keep."(ridiculous, what's a baby donkey do for a living anyway?)
3.) Mother dies.
4.) Mocked by a vaguely Arab merchant

Apparently, helping a pregnant virgin(yeah right) give birth to an alleged savior is enough to land him back in the warm arms of his abusive owner? Did anyone else think to themselves how idiotic it seems, considering that very few people really knew who Jesus was at that time, nor bothered to care. Besides the historical inaccuracies that line up with the religious inaccuracies, this was the meanest Christmas film ever.

Kudos to Virgin Mary for using her jedi like powers to get a good deal off Nestor from the stingy arab merchant.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: This movie is mean
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
Kudos to Virgin Mary for using her jedi like powers to get a good deal off Nestor from the stingy arab merchant.

:D

But yeah, did anyone else think this was just Rankin Bass's attempt to create another marketable Christmas charicicter, and it just flopped? Somehow, that seems the meanest thing about it- Hey, the second most important holiday in Christendom has already been filled with various Pagan charicters and marketing ploys- Why not add one to the pile?

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »
They new SModcast talks about Rankin and Bass.  A little about Nestor, but mostly about the Rankin and Bass universe.  It's funny.
http://www.smodcast.net/SModcast-25.mp3
On timeout

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:03:14 PM »

But yeah, did anyone else think this was just Rankin Bass's attempt to create another marketable Christmas charicicter, and it just flopped? Somehow, that seems the meanest thing about it- Hey, the second most important holiday in Christendom has already been filled with various Pagan charicters and marketing ploys- Why not add one to the pile?

I might agree with you, except for the fact that the mass-marketing of these characters came decades after the original specials. I think Rankin-Bass just ran out of steam.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »
Why would a secular-humanist be more unlikely to give a donkey to a pregnant woman than a Jew?
On timeout

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »

Hey, the second most important holiday in Christendom One of the eight most important holidays in the Pagan calender has already been filled with various Pagan charicters Christendom and marketing ploys- Why not add one to the pile?

Fixed it for ya  ;)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing