Author Topic: Codec issue  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Tsavo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Codec issue
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »
I have literally downloaded every program you suggested in the beginning, and even a few that others posted. The K-Light Pack, the power dvd demo, I even downloaded the newest windows media player, and the update for K-light you suggested. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Rifftrax player, and still nothing. By now Im a bit frustrated, having spent some time working on this myself. And every time I try running rifftrax and loading the file, I get a message the reads as follows: Rendering of Standard dvd files failed. This errors is caused by not having the standard capability of rendering dvd filters- We suggest you check to make sure you have a dvd video decoder &audio decoder installed on your machine!

And to top it all off, I already had a dvd player that could play movies just fine before, and it still does. I will use that for now, But I had really hoped to be able to use my rifftrax player. If you can help please do so. My system uses Windows Xp home edition, service pack 2 is has a pentium four cpu at 3.00 ghz, its a little old I know, but it should run this just fine. On top of that, there is a new developement. Once I Click okay on the error message. It comes up with a second. "Error occured" It then reads "Access violation at adress 0042A582 in module 'RiffTrax.exe'. Read of address 00000008."
 It seems to repeat, then comes up with another before I use ctrl alt and delete to exit. "Access violation at address 000B0210. Read of address 000B0210." Please help!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:06:52 PM by Tsavo »

Offline Tsavo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Re: Codec issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:02:52 AM »
Nothing?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
I have literally downloaded every program you suggested in the beginning, and even a few that others posted. The K-Light Pack, the power dvd demo, I even downloaded the newest windows media player, and the update for K-light you suggested. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Rifftrax player, and still nothing. By now Im a bit frustrated, having spent some time working on this myself. And every time I try running rifftrax and loading the file, I get a message the reads as follows: Rendering of Standard dvd files failed. This errors is caused by not having the standard capability of rendering dvd filters- We suggest you check to make sure you have a dvd video decoder &audio decoder installed on your machine!

And to top it all off, I already had a dvd player that could play movies just fine before, and it still does. I will use that for now, But I had really hoped to be able to use my rifftrax player. If you can help please do so. My system uses Windows Xp home edition, service pack 2 is has a pentium four cpu at 3.00 ghz, its a little old I know, but it should run this just fine. On top of that, there is a new developement. Once I Click okay on the error message. It comes up with a second. "Error occured" It then reads "Access violation at adress 0042A582 in module 'RiffTrax.exe'. Read of address 00000008."
 It seems to repeat, then comes up with another before I use ctrl alt and delete to exit. "Access violation at address 000B0210. Read of address 000B0210." Please help!

Sorry for the delay.

When you say "update to K-Light that you suggested" I'm not sure who you are referring to. K-Light doesn't ring any bells - but once suggestion we've always had was to install PowerDVD, which comes with the standard DVD codec that you need to use the RiffTrax Player.

You can download the trial, install it, and then uninstall it if you want - the codec will remain on your machine, at which point you can run the RiffTrax Player again.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/movie-playback/powerdvd/overview_ENU.html

Try that and let us know if it helps.

Offline Tsavo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
No problem on the delay, and yes I did actually did download the power dvd demo, but to no avail. I also have the vlc player and the ffdshow codec pack installed. I also have two other dvd players downloaded as well. Still nothing. I am honestly stumped at this point.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »
Hmm.... stumped here too. But I will get the Player guys to look at this thread and hopefully we can come up with a solution. Hang tight.

Offline Tsavo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:21 PM »
Thank you

Offline wfrantz

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
Your computer might be borked at this point.  Unfortunately a lot of these "codec packs" install sketchy codecs that are unreliable or that you don't actually need.  Windows uses a priority system for codecs so even after you install a good codec from a reputable authority (like divx.com) you might find your computer still uses some crummy codec from a codec pack.  It may not be easy to clean up your machine now.  You need to completely remove any of the codecs you've installed.

My advice is to avoid codec packs.  Between Windows Media Player, Quicktime Player, DivX Player and Power DVD; you shouldn't need anything else.  The only other filter I install is an AC3 decoder like AC3Filter for Windows or a52codec for Mac.  If you find a video that cannot be played by one of those players, try using DivX Converter.

If you don't want to switch between 4 media players you can try software like VLC or MPlayer but there are always compromises.  For example, only Quicktime can play videos purchased from the iTunes Music Store.  Only DivX Player can play DivX VOD files.  Only Windows Media Player can play files from Amazon Unbox.  In addition to DRM limitations, there are other issues.  For example, VLC and MPlayer will not display DivX XSUB subtitles or interactive menus.

Having said all that I admit I still use VLC and MPlayer to watch Flash (.flv) video files because none of the other aforementioned players will work for those.

Offline robincofer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
I had the exact same problem, and I had tried everything that Tsavo tried.. btw, the K-Lite codecs he's referring to are suggested in the rifftrax forum here, in the first link:
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,6026.0.html
It actually seems to be a decent codec pack.

Anyway, I was completely flustered, then I thought to check the "dvd settings" button in the rifftrax player.  The codec options were set to something other than the default, so I changed each one to "none (System Default)".  Now it works fine.

Hope this helps

Offline tsnow24

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »
I am also having this issue.  I've got the Cyber Link DVD player... and am still getting:

access violation at address 0042a582 in module 'RiffTrax.exe'. Read of address 00000008

Please help me out. I have no clue why this won't work.

Thanks

p.s. Did several searches before posting and couldn't find any help.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
Yeesh. Yeah.... well, long story short the current player sucks, and we're working on a new one.

Until then I'm not sure we can be of much help. Sorry!

(We'll keep you posted on when the new player is ready for testing.... sign up for our mailing list on the homepage so you can be the first to know!)

Offline tsnow24

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
Ok great.  I've subscribed.

Any ETA as to when you guys think the new player will be done?  Love RiffTrax and am looking forward to "automatic sync technology!"   ;)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
No ETA yet - we want to have something that works well and has been tested. I'm working with a couple devs who are building this in their spare time. They are working purely on donations at the moment, so anything is appreciated :)

https://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=291141

Anyway - hope to have something soon. :)

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
i will be waiting for that one too.