Author Topic: The Mega-Super-Ultra Buffy/Angel Episode Guide  (Read 17112 times)

anais.jude

Re: The Mega-Super-Ultra Buffy/Angel Episode Guide
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
cause the last line in his review for school hard wasn't flashing forward...I kid, i kid.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »
ha,ha

A  little call-backs here and there to later seasons are cool, especially since most people here probably have seen these episodes more than i have,  i just don't want 2 page long conversations about season 6 during season 3, if you get my drift.

anais.jude

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
you're tearing me apart Ortega!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
Oh, to get to my opinion on School Hard:  just a fantastic episode.  One of my all-time favorite Xanderisms, "While I whittle, I'll whistle a jaunty tune."  And Cordelia and Willow trapped in the bathroom together....genius.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:)

As for School Hard, this episode is near perfect (Joss dropped the ball w/ Spike addressing Angelus as his Yoda, in this episode, while later in Season 5 unveiling it to be Dru). You've the introduction of Spike & Dru, the emergence of the Buffy/Joyce dynamic in a big-way, Angel organically playing an important role in an episode, a fun dig at Anne Rice, and the viewer begins to feel Snyder knows more than he's letting onto. Then there's this important line of dialogue from Spike:

"A Slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't in the brochure."

Hence why she's the best-of-the-best and an absolute force to be reckon with. Also, too think of the fun when Kendra comes to Sunnydale.

A perfect "10" from me, my favorite episode from Season 2.  :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
Yeah School Hard is ace, it has one of my favourite Spike bits, the "Vampire Woodstock" speech. :)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

The "Vampire Woodstock" bit is mint, and I forgot to mention it in my last post but massive props to Whedon/Greenwalt for somehow managing to subtly shroud Buffy's slayer duty from Joyce in School Hard. I didn't think it was remotely possible given the situation, but they managed to pull it off.

This is as good as it gets even w/ the continuity snafu I mentioned above. I'll probably check out now until Season 3 rolls around.  :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I recently had to move, and after three years of living in my previous location, it was an ordeal that severely limited my online time.  But never fear, the guide that most will never read will continue. 

Hulu Episode Link:

Episode 204 - Inca Mummy Girl

Fair episode.  Not the greatest premise, adding "The Mummy" to the list of horror tropes that Whedon tries to tackle.  While not asinine as some of the earlier Season 1 episodes, this still feels a bit hokey.  Still, it was a good episode for Xander to shine, where he's given a romantic interest where,  at least initially, she isn't trying to eat him or sacrifice him.  Here we see the embryonic stages of the Willow/Oz relationship, which is good, because out of all the couplings on the show, it was the least troublesome.  I did get a kick out of the gang commenting on the disappearance of one of the students from the exhibit, joking about the mummy reviving, and attacking the kid, only to slowly make a "Oh, shit!"-face, and go rushing back to the exhibit.  Even though the episode's plot is a bit weak, the actors involved help push along an otherwise unimpressive episode.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:45:13 PM by Ortega »

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
I have to say, SMG looks pretty freaking awesome in the library scene in this episode. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
The Inca mummy girl, when not in demon form isn't too shabby herself.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
Wasn't this also one of the first episodes (aside from the unaired pilot) to feature Jonathan?  I always had a soft spot for this episode.  Sven cracks me up.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »
ALL HAIL the Necro Thread!!!

Sorry for abandoning the thread, as i've tried to take a break from the forum and RiffTrax in general.  But the episode guide saunters on!!

Episode 205 -  Reptile Boy

Another fair to mediocre episode, very much in the X-files monster type thing that categorizes Season 2.  And it might be just me, but the whole "dating college guys" thing seemed pretty creepy to me.  I wouldnt trust any 18-19 year old who would want to "date" a 15 year old, for any reason.  We're subjected to more Whiny Buffy here, and surprise, surprise: Cordy is still the two-dimensional bitch she started as.  This episode is one of a number of standalone episodes that dosent add to the series, and doesnt impress much by itself.  I'd say skip it, and you'd be missing nothing.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
Yea yea, this topic has not been posted in for over blah blah days.

I want to talk about Buffy. I have seen some discussion on other threads, but they were not Buffy threads.

So, I am rewatching the series again. I want to write a paper about trauma/recovery and season 6 (because that is how nerdy I am). Anyway, so I am on season 2, Inca Mummy Girl. I loved rewatching Prophecy Girl and When She was Bad (Season 1/2). The feelings and emotions displayed are going to be explored in so much more depth in season 6.

Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I recently had to move, and after three years of living in my previous location, it was an ordeal that severely limited my online time.  But never fear, the guide that most will never read will continue. 

Hulu Episode Link:

Episode 204 - Inca Mummy Girl

Fair episode.  Not the greatest premise, adding "The Mummy" to the list of horror tropes that Whedon tries to tackle.  While not asinine as some of the earlier Season 1 episodes, this still feels a bit hokey.  Still, it was a good episode for Xander to shine, where he's given a romantic interest where,  at least initially, she isn't trying to eat him or sacrifice him.  Here we see the embryonic stages of the Willow/Oz relationship, which is good, because out of all the couplings on the show, it was the least troublesome.  I did get a kick out of the gang commenting on the disappearance of one of the students from the exhibit, joking about the mummy reviving, and attacking the kid, only to slowly make a "Oh, shit!"-face, and go rushing back to the exhibit.  Even though the episode's plot is a bit weak, the actors involved help push along an otherwise unimpressive episode.

I would like to add that when Xander choses Willow over the hot chick, it really makes the ending of Season 6 more wonderful :)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
Over the last year I've re-watched most of both series but I skipped a bunch of the early ones, 204 must have been one of them, I'll have to check it out and look for that moment.

When the show aired I watched it up until the middle of season 6 when I gave up, and only watched some of Angel.  Now I've re-watched the last 3rd of season 6 and most of season 7 a few times.  And have watched all of Angel at least once.  That episode when Spike comes to get the magic ring is funny as hell at the beginning, when he is riffing on Angel while watching him from a distance.  That is probably the best of the crossover shows.