Author Topic: The Mega-Super-Ultra Buffy/Angel Episode Guide  (Read 16761 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The Mega-Super-Ultra Buffy/Angel Episode Guide
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
Well for Angel that's true, but not so for all the characters.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2009, 07:37:52 AM »
For some reason, Buffy always had somewhat weak season openers.  When She Was Bad, Anne's pretty weak in my opinion (though maybe I just missed the Scoobies), Freshmen isn't great, and the Dracula one is only saved by Xander.  I do like Bargaining and Lessons though.

I agree with you, Court.  I think my issue with the season openers is that they ALL are about taking Buffy and putting her in a place where she's feeling fish-out-of-watery.  It's a formula that for me had serious diminishing returns.  Welcome To The Hellmouth/The Harvest is good (although horribly dated now by most of the episodes that followed it), When She Was Bad is uncomfortable but decent, Anne is pretty weak, The Freshman is meh, Dracula...ugh.  Bargaining at least has Buffy dead at the beginning of it, so that's a different kind of fish-out-of-water scenario.  And Lessons at least didn't have Buffy in her mopey "Oh poor me I'm not dead anymore" mode, but I can't really say I'm a huge fan of either episode.   

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
You mean have Spike self actualize not have a soul installed/reinstalled.

Yes, yes. :)

Now that would've provided some inner-conflict I would be fascinated by w/ Spike fighting the endless struggle w/ his true nature and becoming an anomaly Angel could only dream of. I'm still somewhat vexed Joss didn't go into that direction. I blame Marti Noxon!

But I still have Harth...even though he's kind of a pussy. :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »
I blame Marti Noxon!

The rally cry of all Buffy fans!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »
I blame Marni Nixon too!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »

"Buffy Vs. Dracula" is hilarious, and it not only, of course, established Drac into the Buffyverse, but the Xander/Drac dynamic for which is used to many chagrins in Season Eight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heh.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »
I blame Marni Nixon too!

Just you wait, dignan...
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:12 AM »

"Buffy Vs. Dracula" is hilarious, and it not only, of course, established Drac into the Buffyverse, but the Xander/Drac dynamic for which is used to many chagrins in Season Eight.

Heh.

;)

I, for one, loved the whimsy of "Wolves at the Gate".

There isn't anything but love, for the arc, from me.  :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2009, 05:12:37 AM »

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2009, 01:17:32 AM »
Hulu Episode Link:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/14642/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-some-assembly-required

Episode 202 - Some Assembly Required

Can someone say : "Completely Obvious Frankenstein Allusion"?

Seriously, coming off the heels of a half-way decent episode, we're treated to a three-course helping of shit.  And not just regular shit.  No.   Low-grade X-files-type-story-shit.  This is something that i halfway remember from that shitty Nightmare on Elm Street series.  Its THAT kinda bad.  And the eird kid with the camera at the beginning, was like 10 kinds of creepy with the singing.  Plus, the plotline of the epiosde is kinda weak.  Teenager revives his brother, then proceeds to create a "Bride of Frankenquarterback"( see what i did there).  And what did Creepy Kid hope to gain from the plan?  Was he gonna get busy with a patchwork woman, while Zombie quaterback with retard strength is in the wings?  The questions are endless.  One question really comes to mind:  WHY THE FUCK DID THIS SCRIPT GET GREENLIT??!!!!

The only saving grace for the episode was the general back and forth between the gang, and seeing Giles's befuddled attempts at courting Miss Calendar.

Overall, skip this horrible shit-filled episode.  Thankfully, the next one is worth waiting for.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
Some Assembly Required feels like a holdover from Season 1 to me.  That said, it's...I don't know..."quaint"?  It's certainly not an episode I'd choose to watch most of the time, but I suppose it has a low-key charm.  It's good to see Cordelia and Angel get some screentime together (though what is UP with Angel's jacket?), and Xander cracks me up.  But yeah, it seems like season 2 doesn't really get all its engines up and running until the next episode.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/14658/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-school-hard

Episode 203 - School Hard

Now we're talking.   Right from the get-go, this episode rocks.  If i even have to say it, it marks the introduction of Spike, who has probably one of the coolest star intros ever, with the running over of the Sunnydale sign, taking a drag off a cigarette.  Definitely more anarchistic than the vampire villians we've been exposed to.  I'm kinda indifferent towards Drusilla.  For the most part , she kind annoys me, but is defintely the yin to Spike's yang, the Nancy to his Sid( yeah, like that wasn't too subtle).  Overall, they were more enjoyable as villians than the over-pompous, verbose Master.

The gang's back-and-forth is really enjoyable, especially Buffy & Willow's anger at Xander's jinxing of the coming day.  And i was rolling on the floor when Buffy sent Xander to go fetch his stake, and his rummaging through her purse, at first finding a yo-yo, the finding a tampon, and his mini-freak-out was hilarious.  Its little throwaway jokes like this that make this series so enjoyable.  And even though its schmaltzy, i love Joyce's hero moment near the end.  Slowly we'll see Joyce become a more fleshed-out character, and not just another authority figure Buffy must hide her secret from, which will make the fifth season that much more harder to get through.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
"It's a gang...on PCP."

anais.jude

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
I completely agree about Spike. As the series goes on, even with his so-called wuss moments, I've always thought of him as one of the better characters

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
I even like wussy Spike.  I know I'm in the minority, but some of my favorite Spike moments are when he's living with Xander, and I LOVED when he was crazy in Season Sev... dammit, sorry Ortega, I started flashing forward again.