Author Topic: Replacement for "Jump the Shark"?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Replacement for "Jump the Shark"?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 05:38:29 AM »
Ooh, the source of my name!  Haven't been there for ages.

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
For me the Simpson's turing point will always be the the Frank Grimes episode. It's when they started to go with "dark humor" on the Simpsons which I hate.
I really do like pie.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »
Personally I think they went south a lot earlier than that, m'dear. I can't really pinpoint the exact timeframe anymore because all the episodes are jumbled in my mind and I can't remember which ones came in which order, but there was definitely a transition where they went from 7 or 8 out of 10 episodes being amazing and funny and clever with random surreal awesome jokes and the other 2 or 3 just being really really good, to not even managing to have more than 1 or 2 decent episodes in a season. And I'm not talking about post season 10 material, either, I'm talking around season 4 or 5. It went downhill really fast for me (though as always there are still a few unexpectedly good episodes in the mix there, you never have the same level of "hits" as you used to get).
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
Same here. I love that episode.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 12:43:10 PM »
I too have way too many episodes crammed in my head to make any kind of determination when the show worked past it's prime... But the Grimey episode has to be a top 10 all time for me... Wasn't that also the episode where Bart bought the old factory for a dollar?

Now I gotta go see if I have that episode on DVD somewhere....

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »
That is one of the episodes I classify as good but not great.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »
The Simpsons has jumped the shark so many times that it's no longer a show-ending event. They even created a show based on the popularity of the Simpsons jumping the shark so often. It's called Family Guy. Athankyou.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
It still may not be official, but Sideshow Collectibles is trying to make "Nuke the Fridge" the replacement for "Jump the Shark".

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
It still may not be official, but Sideshow Collectibles is trying to make "Nuke the Fridge" the replacement for "Jump the Shark".

Like the one comment - "If you wanna make ridiculous things into toys, make an action figure set piece of the casting of Shia LeBeouf in this film"

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

Like the one comment - "If you wanna make ridiculous things into toys, make an action figure set piece of the casting of Shia LeBeouf in this film"

I think that Rifftrax should look into this for money making potential.  I would absolutely buy an action figure of Kelly Lynch stitching Patrick Swayze or of Tommy Wiseau petting a doggie.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »

I think that Rifftrax should look into this for money making potential.  I would absolutely buy an action figure of Kelly Lynch stitching Patrick Swayze or of Tommy Wiseau petting a doggie.
I wouldn't pay $300 to look at Tommy Wiseau in person....much less in resin.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

I wouldn't pay $300 to look at Tommy Wiseau in person....much less in resin.
It would have to be less than $30 or so.  I wouldn't expect the same high quality as Sideshow Collectibles.  Maybe something more along the lines of early Star Wars figures.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
In a lot of stuff i have read in the past year people have used Nuke the Fridge instead of Jump the Shark.  Including this month's Game Informer.