Author Topic: TV Documentaries About Bands  (Read 588 times)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
TV Documentaries About Bands
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
I just saw a documentary on my favorite band, Metric. It was on YouTube, but it was from IFC Canada. It was called The Rawside of Metric. (Rawside isn't even a word.) And it was horrible. My least favorite type of documentary; the kind where there's lots of shots of traffic and the sky and lots of unrelated musical "noise" and it just meanders and avoids the point and the subject is supporting the documentary more than the other way around. Half the audio is bad quality telephone interviews. Which I don't get, because they're following the band around with a camera. You think they could have interviewed them during that time. Almost all of the concert footage just has interviews over it, and they're shot at stupid angles with extreme artsy close-ups. It's hosted by that creepy character actor who's in a lot of IFC movies, and he pretends the band are his friends. He's lying. When he's about to say his name, they cut away to a shot of him not talking because it's really clever. The band tells some pretty dull stories about living in a place when they were starting out, and not having lots of money. Wow. The actual music in the program is them rehearsing "campfire" style, which means just piano and acoustic guitar. And sorry to say, it's fairly dull. I heard Billy Joe from Green Day say he writes all his songs on acoustic to make sure they sound good without effects, and I can only imagine those being just as boring. They show the band in the studio just MIXING the album, the conceit being that they had a huge dramatic experience when they stopping the mixing of the album at one point because they weren't happy with it. And this is that harrowing story. But there's really no story at all. The little conversations about mixing are all out of context with scarcely 30 seconds of clips. I skipped almost the first ten minutes because they thought it would be clever to scroll articles about the band across the screen horizontally, one line per article, while fans talked about why they like the band, speaking their individual thoughts simeltaneously. I wanted to punch this documentary in the face. People who make dross like this should burn in artistic Hell.

Reminds me of the Beatles documentary that was on BBC America. I'm fairly certain they couldn't afford to have any Beatles songs play during it, which made it particularly dull. If I don't miss my guess, I think this was the one where some Asian woman claimed to be John Lennon's secret lover when he was in America taking a break from Yoko, and how he really loved her and probably would have almost married her.

Also reminds me of that Michael Jackson documentary from a few years back with that British tabloid journalist where he climbs a tree. Okay, that was entertaining.

There was a similar documentary to the above about Courtney Love working on her solo album on MTV2 whenever that thing came out. Well, that was fairly interesting seeing Courtney stumble around, fall asleep, and show Kurt's old sweaters, and her fat daughter. I admit, I was fascinated, though I don't like her solo albums.

Best band doc I've ever seen was R.E.M. - Rough Cut. It was probably on MTV, but PBS aired the uncut version. It was about the Monster tour. It was mostly in black and white. It showed them backstage with Bill Murray at SNL picking out wardrobe. That alone was worth watching it for. It, like a lot of its ilk, is sadly not on DVD.