login

Author Topic: A Brief History of Awful Game Console Marketing  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Shaggy

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
    • Arcade Heroes!
Re: A Brief History of Awful Game Console Marketing
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
Gotta love some of those old commercials, as cheesy as some of them are.

I love my old Atari consoles. I'm fond of the old TI 99/4A as well.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
Let's not forget... the PS3's sales figures are already on the decline. Seriously... you'd have to pay someone the $599 just to buy it. ;D

Our roommate works at EB; they're offering their employees $100 off on a PS3 (stores that sell systems NEVER discount consoles for employees). For regular customers, you can get $100 off if you trade in a PS2 when you buy a PS3 (don't do it; apparently, the PS2 emulation on PS3 is terrible).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
I had a Mattell Intellivision... baseball rocked!

There is an Intellivision compilation for PS2, BTW...
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »

I bought that, but sadly, they did it on the cheap and there was no instruction booklet that told you what buttons on the PS2 controlled mapped to the "ten key" on the intellivision controller.   The games were just unplayable.   I was very sad.

On an related note, I FINALLY converted game 7 of the 1982 World Series from VHS to DVD.   The commercials aired then were hilarious.   One of the commericials featured NFL players explaining how REALISTIC the Intellivision football game was.   When the blocky stick figures moved on the screen I was dying.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

I bought that, but sadly, they did it on the cheap and there was no instruction booklet that told you what buttons on the PS2 controlled mapped to the "ten key" on the intellivision controller.   The games were just unplayable.

Was there no option in the game for viewing stuff like that (I don't have it)? On the Atari Anthology, there are multiple ways to configure your controller for paddle games, as well as viewable full reproductions of the original game manuals.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 02:46:23 PM »

I bought that, but sadly, they did it on the cheap and there was no instruction booklet that told you what buttons on the PS2 controlled mapped to the "ten key" on the intellivision controller.   The games were just unplayable.

Was there no option in the game for viewing stuff like that (I don't have it)? On the Atari Anthology, there are multiple ways to configure your controller for paddle games, as well as viewable full reproductions of the original game manuals.

No, there was jack sh*t.   I was very disappointed.   

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »

No, there was jack sh*t.   I was very disappointed.   

Emulation is the answer, my friend.  Most emulators will allow you to map the controllers however you like, be it to a gamepad, mouse, or keyboard.

That said, it can still be a bit of a pain to find a good mapping.  The Intellivision controller was so unique that it's tough to find a layout that feels "right."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »
You could always plop the money down for the intelivision TV-Game. Personally, the Comodore-64 TV game is my favorite of the bunch. You get an old C-64 style controller and like- 20 cool games, including Jumpman Junior (My personal fav.)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 07:05:37 AM »
On an related note, I FINALLY converted game 7 of the 1982 World Series from VHS to DVD.

That was a great game  :)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.