Author Topic: Credits for Rifftrax contributing writers  (Read 36539 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Credits for Rifftrax contributing writers
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »
I think it's funny to hear you talk about ineffiiency, though , when on MST you guys would (from what I've heard) spend a day or two and get through the whole movie.

Not quite accurate.  IIRC, we spent two separate days doing a first draft as a group.  Then some of us would split up that script and do another draft, usually took two more days.  Then another read-through / review day, and also Mike and whoever wasn't filming SOL / Mads stuff helping whenever and wherever possible.  In other words:  still a LONG process.
:o
That long staring at Joe Don Baker's face.

I think we got off lucky with The Staybuft Marshmallow Man.

Offline mearnest

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 26
  • If life gives you poop. Make poop juice.
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
I'm curious as to whether any of the wives of our three main riffers have contributed to the writing process, since I imagine they have been subjected to many of the movies being riffed.  After all Mrs. Nelson has certainly proven her comedy skills.
'No one does it to you like Roman Polanski' - The Tenant

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
I'm curious as to whether any of the wives of our three main riffers have contributed to the writing process, since I imagine they have been subjected to many of the movies being riffed.  After all Mrs. Nelson has certainly proven her comedy skills.
Oh, yeah, that would be interesting. I loved it when Bridgett was a guest riffer. But it interesting to know if the unseen wives contributed at all.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
how does that even work? Did you just start mailing them your jokes on pieces of candy wrapper?

Sort of.  I wrote them in my Fruit o' the Looms, then hurled them onstage during one of the live shows.

Ah. I think it'd be considered germ warfare if I did that.

Are you hiding WMDs in your BVDs?
Yeah, they're called 'BM's' :rimshot:

P.U.
OIC what ya did there.

Hard to believe they haven't made me a regular contributor, isn't it?

It's the body odor. They're all too polite to say anything about it to your face.

Oh, yeah, that would be interesting. I loved it when Bridgett was a guest riffer. But it interesting to know if the unseen wives contributed at all.

They probably have some "Married to Movie Riffers" support group they attend, where the ladies all tease RAD until he cries.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 53
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
how does that even work? Did you just start mailing them your jokes on pieces of candy wrapper?

Sort of.  I wrote them in my Fruit o' the Looms, then hurled them onstage during one of the live shows.

Ah. I think it'd be considered germ warfare if I did that.

Are you hiding WMDs in your BVDs?
Yeah, they're called 'BM's' :rimshot:

P.U.
OIC what ya did there.

Hard to believe they haven't made me a regular contributor, isn't it?

It's the body odor. They're all too polite to say anything about it to your face.

Which is odd, since relatively little of the odor actually emanates from that part of my body.

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »

That's it, it is official. 

I want the three Missus (Nelson, Corbett, Murphy) together on a riff of "Sex And The City: The Movie" NOW.  (They can even throw RAD in the mix if they wish.  :))
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »

I want the three Missus (Nelson, Corbett, Murphy) together on a riff of "Sex And The City: The Movie" NOW.  (They can even throw RAD in the mix if they wish.  :))
That would be AWESOME! And the only way I would ever watch that. Also, let loose with the obscenities, too.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »

What did RAD ever do to you, to wish such torture upon him? Something like Fried Green Tomatoes or Terms Of Endearment, maybe. Even Steel Magnolias, but no THAT!  :D

Offline Riff On The Floor

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »

[/quote]
That would be AWESOME! And the only way I would ever watch that. Also, let loose with the obscenities, too.
[/quote]

Perhaps that's why they haven't already had the Wives of Rifftrax get together for a Riff....the obscenities.

Just read through this thread, great to know who else is to blame for all these riffs.
Hey, settle down.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
So you guys are saying RAD writes everything!!!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
I don't know if this is the best place to ask something like this, but seeing some of the thread in the discussion made me wonder a bit about the writing process a bit...how much of the material, after spit polishing and all of that, would you say came from pausing the movie and writing stuff down and seeing if it fits, and how much in the end came from just watching the movie and keeping track of what just seemed funniest to blurt out at the moment?  I ask because when I'm writing my own stuff, probably about 95% of what I keep comes from sitting down and going through the movie scene by scene and playing off of the most recent dialogue, while my adlib stuff usually goes right out the window.  It's really strange that, when I sit down and watch a movie just for the sake of watching a movie, I probably come up with stuff that's actually decently amusing and plays well off of that moment, but when I sit down and try to watch a movie trying to be on and funny, nothing good ever seems to come out of it.

Also, it's funny to hear how things are different contribution-wise between now and the MST3K days...even with the stuff I've contributed to others and the projects I've done with other riffers, I've never actually been part of a real "writer's room" discussion about what goes and what stays, and though I did see that one bit on one of the DVD sets where everyone was gathered around the TV set while timecodes are typed up on an old Mac, I've always wondered what it's like to sit in on something like that.  The whole "splitting up" to work on draft parts almost reminds me of what I've read about how Monty Python worked, where even though it was a six person group they often wrote the sketches in pairs, like how Michael Palin and Terry Jones did most of the 'sillier' skits because they had been a writing team long before Python and shared that kind of humor.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.