login

Author Topic: The Simpsons in HD (finally)  (Read 20860 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: The Simpsons in HD (finally)
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
Are all the DVDs out of print or something? I have seen so many people freaking out over the fact that they are the uncut versions (even though the zooming and DNR is destroying visual gags).  People are mad that when they air normally on FXX they will be the cut versions. People are acting like the DVDs don't exist.

Yeah, seriously... I'll take my 17 seasons (so far) on DVD over this crap any day. (as I watch the crap edits on tv)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
Are all the DVDs out of print or something? I have seen so many people freaking out over the fact that they are the uncut versions (even though the zooming and DNR is destroying visual gags).  People are mad that when they air normally on FXX they will be the cut versions. People are acting like the DVDs don't exist.

Yeah, seriously... I'll take my 17 seasons (so far) on DVD over this crap any day. (as I watch the crap edits on tv)

Who's freaking out?

Yeah, the zooming is annoying, but I can handle that (mostly). It's aspect ratio changes that I can't stand. That's why I refuse to watch old shows on TBS, since they seem to always fatten the image.

I personally don't own the DVDs because I only buy DVDs that I'll watch fairly regularly. I've seen these episodes so many times that I've got them practically memorized, and I don't have the urge to watch them very often.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
I wasn't saying anyone here was freaking out. I just mean in the general online sense. Loads of articles and posts all over the net about this big marathon.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »

Who's freaking out?

Yeah, the zooming is annoying, but I can handle that (mostly). It's aspect ratio changes that I can't stand. That's why I refuse to watch old shows on TBS, since they seem to always fatten the image.

I personally don't own the DVDs because I only buy DVDs that I'll watch fairly regularly. I've seen these episodes so many times that I've got them practically memorized, and I don't have the urge to watch them very often.

Three words... BEST. COMMENTARIES. EVER.

It's like just hanging out with the writers, directors and voice-over actors as they watch the show (often for the first time since airing) and try to recall how certain jokes came about. They are the funniest people ever and by several seasons in, you almost feel like you know them a bit too well.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
Are they as good as the Futurama commentaries? I have Volumes 1-8 and never got around to the special features...

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
Are they as good as the Futurama commentaries? I have Volumes 1-8 and never got around to the special features...

As good, sometimes better... often the same people.

In the first few seasons, they clearly haven't seen many of the episodes since the original airings (10-15 years earlier) and end up cracking up at a lot of the jokes.... but many times they also just go off on rants that have nothing to do with the episodes.... Most of my favourites are their commentaries on Schwartzwelder episodes (because he doesn't do them) and they describe a lot of his weird eccentricities. At one point, they even call him and try to trick him into being in the commentary.

Jon Lovitz occasionally appears on episodes he doesn't actually guest on... and Yeardly appears more often than any of the other voice actors, but they get most/all of them at various points...

Yeah, they're about the same type as Futurama.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »

Most of my favourites are their commentaries on Schwartzwelder episodes (because he doesn't do them) and they describe a lot of his weird eccentricities. At one point, they even call him and try to trick him into being in the commentary.

That was one of my favorite moments. I also liked it when Jeff Goldblum was a guest commentator on "A Fish Called Selma"
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »
Das Bus in on.

"They taste like burning."

"Oh they have the internet on computers now."

"I can't go on. You two go ahead....and carry me with you."

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
200 episodes down, 352 to go!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
It's been neat watching the writing in the show suddenly surge from OK to incredible and then slowly settle down into the high end of mediocre, and there are really lots of great episodes to come, even though we've crossed the "Shark Jump" threshold for many.

My personal shark jump doesn't come until "Simpson Safari," so we're still not there yet for me. Even after that, there are still a lot of great episodes that I'd call iconic, even if they start to become more and more of a rarity. That episode also seems to coincide with the Let's-get-serious-about-my-college education/Met-the-woman-I'm-gonna-marry phase of my life, so maybe maturity is a factor too.

DISCUSSION: Where's your Simpsons "Shark Jump" moment? Whether you love, hate, or just like modern Simpsons (I personally feel there's been a mini-renaissance since the show went to HD a couple years back.) we all have that one episode that made us think, "Wow. Maybe they ARE losing it..."

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I have the first 16 seasons and season 20 on DVD... The show kind of starts to futter a bit in season 16, but up until that point, it's still filled with classic episodes. Hell, even season 16 is mostly "classics" with only a few being "meh".

So I'd have to say somewhere between season 16 and 20 is when they go really bleh.

As for shark jumping? I don't think there was ever one specific point. It just very rapidly declined over the span of a few seasons and never recovered.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

DISCUSSION: Where's your Simpsons "Shark Jump" moment? Whether you love, hate, or just like modern Simpsons (I personally feel there's been a mini-renaissance since the show went to HD a couple years back.) we all have that one episode that made us think, "Wow. Maybe they ARE losing it..."

Homer gets raped by a panda.

And for a double jump, the Lady Gaga episode.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »

Oh yeah, that raped by a panda thing was pretty bad. I think even the writers when they did commentary agreed....

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »

Oh yeah, that raped by a panda thing was pretty bad. I think even the writers when they did commentary agreed....

I second this as the moment I thought they jumped the shark. It's still the only episode I refuse to watch.

Mayored to the Mob is on. Everything about Mark Hamill (as himself and as Leavelle) makes me so happy.

"Guys and Dolls, We're just a bunch of crazy Guys and Dolls"

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »
do it for yoda, while we serve our guests a soda
dF = 0
d*F = J