Author Topic: The Simpsons in HD (finally)  (Read 20744 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: The Simpsons in HD (finally)
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »
Oh, hey. Marge vs. the Monorail.

i call the little one bitey!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2014, 04:37:24 AM »
Am I mistaken, or are these episodes more complete than the ones usually in syndication? I've seen some scenes that I have no recollection of in the middle of episodes that I know by heart.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »
Am I mistaken, or are these episodes more complete than the ones usually in syndication? I've seen some scenes that I have no recollection of in the middle of episodes that I know by heart.

Guess I shoulda googled before I asked:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/20/simpsons_marathon_on_fxx_full_episodes_will_air_not_syndication_cuts_which.html

I'm definitely going to watch "You Only Move Twice" tomorrow. "Want some cream?"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:42:39 AM by eegah »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:14 AM »
These old episodes sure do look awful when upscaled to HD.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »

Yeah, I have all the DVD's, and I prefer those to the upscaled "zoomed-in" versions they're airing.  The upscaling doesn't bother me TOO much although it DOES make it look a lot less natural and fluid... but I'd accept that if they had just maybe done what Disney does with their full-frame films, adding neato artwork to the right and left sides to fill the black space on widescreen TV's.  Something subtle and not too distracting, but fun and Simpsonsy.

I hate feeling like I am too close to something I know should be showing much more in the frame.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
Itchy and Scratchy land. Where nothing can possibli go wrong....possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »
No TV and No Beer make Homer something something.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »

Yeah, I have all the DVD's, and I prefer those to the upscaled "zoomed-in" versions they're airing.  The upscaling doesn't bother me TOO much although it DOES make it look a lot less natural and fluid... but I'd accept that if they had just maybe done what Disney does with their full-frame films, adding neato artwork to the right and left sides to fill the black space on widescreen TV's.  Something subtle and not too distracting, but fun and Simpsonsy.

I hate feeling like I am too close to something I know should be showing much more in the frame.

I turned on FXX at the 4th season clip show (April Fools) and when they flashed back to the Springfield Gorge bit, it was such a hot blurry mess....
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »
Ah, Lisa's Wedding. The first episode that caused internet fans to start with the  "Simpsons has gotten horrible" arguments. I would have said jumped the shark, but that term wouldn't appear for another two years.

Personally, I always thought that it was harmless fluff.

Next up "He's going to kill our puppies!"

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
Huh.

Watching the "Marge becomes a cop" episode,  I'm suddenly wondering why she reacted so badly to guns two years later in the "Homer buys a gun" episode.

I'm also wondering which T-shirt Marge is issued was the original one, as I've seen her in both the Hard Rock one and a unicorn one. Just random thoughts.

FYI- the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episodes air shortly. If you've never caught the MST3k reference in it before, keep an eye out for it.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »
It's like watching a timeline of all the jokes MacFarlane ripped off for Family Guy....

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 02:55:11 AM »
According to the user ratings at geos.tv, the rapid decline in quality starts after season eight. Looking at the episode list, that seems about right. It's been awesome watching these great episodes and remembering why I used to love the show so much, but I guess I'll get to tune to something else soon.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »
Are all the DVDs out of print or something? I have seen so many people freaking out over the fact that they are the uncut versions (even though the zooming and DNR is destroying visual gags).  People are mad that when they air normally on FXX they will be the cut versions. People are acting like the DVDs don't exist.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
Are all the DVDs out of print or something? I have seen so many people freaking out over the fact that they are the uncut versions (even though the zooming and DNR is destroying visual gags).  People are mad that when they air normally on FXX they will be the cut versions. People are acting like the DVDs don't exist.

there is no dvd, only zuul.
dF = 0
d*F = J