Author Topic: The Simpsons in HD (finally)  (Read 20572 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Simpsons in HD (finally)
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
New book about Homosexuality and Homer Sensuality.

From the Onion AV Club:
Proving that the Germans are not all smiles and sunshine—sometimes they are also critical studies of long-running television shows—German librarian Erwin In het Panhuis has compiled a new book, Behind The Gay Laughter: Homosexuality In The Simpsons, arguing that The Simpsons has greatly influenced the public perception of homosexuality, and even helped numerous gay men come out over the years.

As The Huffington Post notes in its translation, In het Panhuis looked at some “490 gay scenes and over 70 homosexual characters” from the series’ run, charting the myriad ways in which it’s explored and combated prejudices. For example, The Simpsons became the first cartoon to dedicate an entire episode to same-sex marriage, and has featured moments where “Homer himself has kissed other male characters on the lips more than 50 times” without being immediately engulfed in cleansing hellfire, all of these things positive. It also, of course, features one of TV’s most beautifully tragic stories of unrequited same-sex love, in the will-they/won’t they dance of Lenny and Carl.

While the book admits that sometimes The Simpsons falters with the occasional “fallback to stereotypes” (with almost 90 percent of these surely contained within that one John Waters episode), the series nevertheless boasts “an intelligent, fair and entertaining handling of homosexuality,” time and again showing that gay people work hard and play hard, in a respectable and relatable manner. Though, oddly, the book devotes an entire chapter to Waylon Smithers, whose real deal is that he’s Mr. Burns’ assistant, he’s in his early 40s, is unmarried, and he currently resides in Springfield, and thus seems like an unusual character to focus on.

“Uh-oh, the Germans get me! Ooooh, the Germans!” The Simpsons’ sociopolitical subtext said. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon has terminal cancer.  Though he was always involved in charity, he plans on giving all of his Simpsons-made fortune away to good causes.

From the AV Club
The universe recently gave us an incredibly cruel reminder that bad things happen to good people, when Sam Simon, during a recent discussion on Marc Maron's WTF, revealed that his terminal cancer diagnosis means he likely only has months to live. Simon has had a remarkable career in television, starting off as a writer for Barney Miller, Taxi, and Cheers, and becoming one of the youngest showrunners in television history when he took over Taxi in its final season. He then co-created what some consider to be the best show in the history of the medium, The Simpsons, before quitting the show at its peak in 1993.

However, making millions of people happy wasn't enough for Simon, who turned his efforts to philanthropy. Over the years, he directed an endless stream of Simpsons royalties to the Sam Simon Foundation, which rescues stray dogs and trains them to be rescue dogs, service dogs, and companions for soldiers returning from combat. Simon also founded a vegan food bank, and a free mobile veterinary clinic.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Simon talks about his desire to spend whatever time remains to him giving away the millions he's earned. Far from being despondent about his illness and impending death, the interview presents Simon as upbeat, self-effacing, and passionate about helping people and animals alike, and just underscores the tremendous loss Simon's passing will be.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
Saw that about Sam. That's sad... It's great what he's doing, but sad about the whole cancer thing.

On a side-note, saw one of the newer episodes momentarily when I was flipping around recently...... Does ANYONE know WHY... WHY GOD WHY... they stopped having the darker lines outlining the characters?!??!?! It was all lighter than the skin tone and it just looked.... wrong. It looked horribly bad. Just bad. They make such a big deal about not ever really changing the models for the main characters, yet this is WORSE.

Why!?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3145
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
So that marathon of every Simpsons ever starts on FXX tomorrow. I know what I'll have on TV in the background for the next couple weeks...

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
Watching Season 1 right now. Homer has changed a lot over the years. Remember in the Marvin Monroe episode where Homer felt he had the bad hell bound family?

I am surprised that the Simpsons commercials with quotes from the actual sow aren't doing any classic quotes like from Marge vs the Monorail or Who Shot Mr. Burns (1 or 2). All the quotes are from season 20 and after.

Oh wait, they just quoted season 9.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:34:40 PM by anais.butterfly »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
Season 2. It's odd watching Mr. Burns not being portrayed as completely out of touch with modern society.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
I would like to use this time to say that in "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish" I think Marge was in the wrong. She undercooked the fish on purpose just to get Burns to lose.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3145
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
Still brings the point home: The woman confined to the kitchen actually still holds a lot of power. :^)

IMMEDIATE EDIT TO CLARIFY: This does not mean that I believe women SHOULD be confined to the kitchen. I mean women have power no matter where they are. Hand that rocks the cradle rules the world and all that. :^)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
Just keep digging that hole, Pak.

Holy cow! A pre-Flanderized Flanders! And Rod Todd has a science experiment! A real one even!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Oh the Springfield Gorge.

Seriously, this is one of the most perfect moments of comedy to appear on American TV.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »
Radio Bart is on now. Why didn't Bart say he was trying to help Timmy O'Toole and that is why he fell down the well?

"Rodd, Todd, this is God. Walk through the wall, I will remove it for you (thunk)...later."

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:44:19 AM by anais.butterfly »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
Radio Bart is on now. Why didn't Bart say he was trying to help Timmy O'Toole and that is why he fell down the well?

"Rodd, Todd, this is God. Walk through the wall, I will remove it for you (thunk)...later."

Also, why didn't Peter Parker remember this episode when he made the same mistake in the first Amazing Spider-Man?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
I am surprised that the Simpsons commercials with quotes from the actual sow aren't doing any classic quotes like from Marge vs the Monorail or Who Shot Mr. Burns (1 or 2). All the quotes are from season 20 and after.

Oh wait, they just quoted season 9.

Season 6's "Me fail English? That's unpossible!" showed up in a bumper earlier.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Oh, hey. Marge vs. the Monorail.