Author Topic: The Simpsons in HD (finally)  (Read 19622 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: The Simpsons in HD (finally)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
Well, we all know that we can't have cartoons films before a live studio audience (wreaks havoc on the animators' hands) so this will have to suffice.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 741
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
Cartoons in widescreen. To preserve how it was originally filmed.

uh yeah? I mean from now on all the episodes they make are going to be 16x9 so.....
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 741
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
My local NBC has stopped showing widescreen stuff. This doesn't mean they show it letterboxed; no, it's widescreen format, with the edges chopped off. I miss half of The Office every week.  My guess is that it's loudly-complaining elderly people who caused this (I used to zoom in and get the whole thing--albeit grainy, and now I just can't see half of it).

I don't know if Fox does the same thing here; hope not. I'll be tuning in next week to see WIDESCREEN Simpsons!

that is awful!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
My local NBC has stopped showing widescreen stuff. This doesn't mean they show it letterboxed; no, it's widescreen format, with the edges chopped off. I miss half of The Office every week.  My guess is that it's loudly-complaining elderly people who caused this (I used to zoom in and get the whole thing--albeit grainy, and now I just can't see half of it).

I don't know if Fox does the same thing here; hope not. I'll be tuning in next week to see WIDESCREEN Simpsons!

It's available in widescreen at Fox on Demand and Hulu.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:23:19 PM by Petey Wheatstraw »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
cough ~torrent~ cough
On timeout

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »
Not on my TV, I can't. And I"m not gonna install a player.

If you have Flash, Hulu works just fine.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
Not on my TV, I can't. And I"m not gonna install a player.
Playon
If you have a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, or HP MediaSmart TV, PlayOn lets you watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, CNN, ESPN and more on your TV.

They will also be adding support for Nintendo Wii in early 2009.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »
You realize they're making a TV show fit the TV that you bought to watch movies on, which already had to compromise the ratio in order to sate TV watchers? There's no long term planning at work here. They should have made TVs 2.35:1, and then everything is literally just a different width, nothing ever too "small" to watch as long as the height of the screen is enough that you're comfortable with it. It would be much more aesthetically pleasing than seeing the height of the picture constantly changing in an effort to create the illusion of different widths.

What sucks is if you don't have a widescreen TV, TV shows are ceasing to fit on a TV screen. That's great, IF you give me a fucking coupon for a widescreen TV along with that digital converter box, and phase out standard-ratio TVs altogether.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »
So you think the tax payers should have to buy you a widescreen TV too.

Sorry but I am already paying a third of my income in taxes so i don't want to pay another cent.

I think the government should just come out and ban HDTVs and ban any movie or TV show from being shot in anything other then 4:3 480i in that case.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:18:33 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2941
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

Yeah I had to disconnect my HD Cable for a couple weeks to make room for the PS3 (I have an HDMI cable now that fixes the need to do that) and I was watching Conan in lo-def. They literally chopped Conan in half, and chopped the guest in half. You didn't get to see all of anyone.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
If they raise taxes, you can complain. You can't complain about what they DO with the money they take from you. It's not yours anymore. "YOUR tax dollars" is a phrase created by the media to scare you into watching news shows and buying magazines.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »
Yeah I had to disconnect my HD Cable for a couple weeks to make room for the PS3 (I have an HDMI cable now that fixes the need to do that) and I was watching Conan in lo-def. They literally chopped Conan in half, and chopped the guest in half. You didn't get to see all of anyone.
Conan chops a lot of people in half. It's what barbarians do.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »
You realize they're making a TV show fit the TV that you bought to watch movies on, which already had to compromise the ratio in order to sate TV watchers? There's no long term planning at work here. They should have made TVs 2.35:1, and then everything is literally just a different width, nothing ever too "small" to watch as long as the height of the screen is enough that you're comfortable with it. It would be much more aesthetically pleasing than seeing the height of the picture constantly changing in an effort to create the illusion of different widths.

Wouldn't that chop off the bottom and tops of 16:9 picture(a format that is still widely used),I prefer the system we have now where I can always see the whole picture.

I don't care about Black bars unless they take up half the screen.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 07:13:23 AM »
Playon
If you have a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, or HP MediaSmart TV, PlayOn lets you watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, CNN, ESPN and more on your TV.

Oh awesome!  I'm gonna give this a try on my PS3 when I get home.  I've been annoyed I can't get netflix instant viewing on my PS3....
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »
If they raise taxes, you can complain. You can't complain about what they DO with the money they take from you. It's not yours anymore. "YOUR tax dollars" is a phrase created by the media to scare you into watching news shows and buying magazines.

You heard it here last.

Never question anything the government does.

They are better then you and have the devine right to rule.

Common people have no right to question those who were born to rule.

How very 1300s of you.