11 (29.7%)
8 (21.6%)
10 (27%)
5 (13.5%)
1 (2.7%)
5 or below
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: (Christmas Donkey) Thoughts?  (Read 15518 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2509
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: (Christmas Donkey) Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
Really great. I have to admit I used bittorrent to get myself a copy as it's not avaliable locally, and it worked great.

Nice work Rifftrax!
FINE

Offline Msampo

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • The Sampo building (photo by Kevin Murphy)
    • Satellite News
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
Fine job! Very funny! I would have maybe liked two or three more DA cues, but that's my only quibble. I used You-Tube (thanks for the link, Conor!) and the synching tended to drift a little, but only a little.

Fave riffs:
Fa loves pa!
Skylab! Run!
So the wings are not functional at all.

Comments on the movie:
* I'm not positive, but I think I MAY have successfully avoided seeing this for all these decades. None of it seems familiar.
* So since when did Mary and Joseph follow the star? Somebody's confused.
* Similarly, since when is it the donkey's job to find a place to stay? Seems like Joseph could have offered some input.
* I'm guessing when the network execs complained about that, um, downbeat plot moment, the author said "Hey, the did it in Bambi!"
* Roger Miller should not have had six snorts of Old Grandad before doing the voiceovers. Major slurring going on.

Sampo (landscaping bark!)
MST3Kinfo.com--The official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fan site.
Join us, won't we?

Offline Mrs. Slab Bulkhead

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
I'm gonna tell my Mom on you Mike ! 

When I was little, back in the late 70's, I was super excited when I saw ads for a Christmas show that I had never seen before.  When the big night arrived, my Dad and older brother cleared out of the family room and let me have the TV all to myself - it was a very big deal.  I sat there with my little pan of Jiffy Pop and watched ... Nestor the Christmas Donkey.  I was traumatized.  I cried and cried and my horrified mother had such a hard time calming me down after what happened to Nestor's Mom that Nestor the Christmas Donkey was BANNED in our home!  So, I'm gonna go tell my Mom that you let me watch it again.

Mike's in trouble... Mike's in trouble...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »
Not too bad for the first Christmas special.

My 'take' and DVD cover now posted here:
www.rifftraxfan.com

Offline Ranika

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »
I quite enjoyed this one, I don't know why really, it just consistently clicked with me, the jokes in the last half particularly just had me in fits. I didn't have any real sync problems I noticed.

"Guy that beat me and killed my mother, you're my best friend of all!"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:37:54 PM by Ranika »
"If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend." - St. Augustine

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 10:16:39 PM »
extremely funny!  nice going, mike.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

"Landscaping Bark!"

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline mathteacher33

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 09:47:59 AM »
Fantastic!  I have had "The Year Without a Santa Claus" on DVD for years and never bothered to watch Nestor.  Friday night, I sat down at the computer with my DVD and my Nestor rifftrax soundtrack and burned myself a perfectly synched copy of the movie and rifftrax.  I love dvdshrink!  Thanks, secretagentsuperdragon!!

Drake McOnslaught
Drake McOnslaught

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2901
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 10:08:14 AM »
Nestor was definitely an attempt to cash in on Rudolph. :^)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 10:11:16 AM »
I wonder if Nestor DVDs will be on sale now that the holiday is done. Hmm.  I'm off to search for a real Nestor DVD so I can watch next year :-)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
That's actually a really good idea. Set up an Ebay alert on the DVD and just keep an eye out over the next year.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »
Ebay is probably a better idea than scoping out retail outlets.  I went to several places and couldn't even find it.  I found it at Walmart and talked to someone in the department. He said they don't mark DVDs down for Christmas but send them back to the distribution center for next year.  Jerks  :D
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline euphoria

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Disembaudio Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »
Very funny; I enjoyed this one quite a bit.  One of the best, actually - it's in my top three! 

I don't think I could've sat through a similar one that lasted much longer; the glurge factor was just about off the charts.  (Well, except for the beatings and mockery and thievery and abandonment and tragic mom death and sleazy Arab merchant.)

Excellent as the riffing was, I did notice a couple minor mistakes.  While it was hilarious when Mike questioned how donkeys could knit (ref the socks Nestor's mother gave him), I had to wonder why he apparently deliberately ignored the narrator's mentioning earlier that the socks had been discarded by the stable owner's wife.  Also, as a knitter myself, I had to chuckle when Mike asked if the knitter of the socks had used the "bobble" stitch, because the socks clearly had no bobbles on them.  (Bobbles are basically a whole mess of stitches made in one small area, forming what looks like a puffy little ball.)  It was still a cute line, though.

Favorite riff: "Should Santa be around in 1 A.D.?"

Offline Hellcat

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »
I think I saw this special once when I was a child, and once was definitely enough.  Mike did a super job with it.  I especially liked it when he mocked the lame songs. 

This one's going to become part of my annual Christmas viewing, along with the two MST3K Santa Claus episodes.

Offline Timmy Ramone

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:05 AM »
I wonder if Nestor DVDs will be on sale now that the holiday is done. Hmm.  I'm off to search for a real Nestor DVD so I can watch next year :-)
As mentioned earlier, Nestor is one of the "bonus features" on the Year Without a Santa Claus DVD.  I found a copy at Best Buy last week for $11.  Happy hunting!

I just downloaded the RiffTrax for Nestor and I plan to watch it this weekend with my RifFriends.  After reading all these comments, I'm definitely looking forward to it!

As for Roger Miller, he also provided the narration on the "Story and Songs" LP of Disney's Robin Hood (Miller was also the voice of Alan-a-Dale in the movie).  On the record he sounds like he was dragged into the recording studio at 6:00am after about 4-5 highballs the previous night.  Fun for all ages!   ;D