Author Topic: Run Ronnie Run Overrated? Yes  (Read 2939 times)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
Run Ronnie Run Overrated? Yes
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »
I found this article, by Bob Odenkirk, to be quite interesting about the movie Run Ronnie Run.
http://www.bobanddavid.com/interviews.asp

I bet Mike can relate to Bob and David's feelings when compared to MST3K: The Movie. Especially the parts about the movie execs not knowing anything about tv shows.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Forum Czar
Re: Run Ronnie Run Overrated? Yes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »

I always thought that the original skit from Mr. Show was great. It was especially funny when they created a musical based on the life of Ronnie Dobbs... but i don't think the joke had enough gas left for a movie in the first place, no matter what drama ensued during the production.

-Rude

Can't a man not drink his beer in silence?
Can't a man not crudely lie and scream?
Can't a man not control his bitch with violence?
Y'all are brutalisin' me...
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »
Despite what Bob says in his article. I still think Run Ronnie Run was funny.
Granted, it wasn't as funny as Mr. Show. But funnier then most comedies. I'd definitely rank it up there with Anchorman.

I liked the scene when Terry Twillstien is chasing down Ronnie..."I want to get inside you Ronnie!"

The writing alone in this movie makes it worthwhile.

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:55 AM »
I saw the film before I read the comments from Bob and David and I thought it was plenty of fun. Not quite as good as the series, but certainly the equal of any of the SNL films based on characters from a sketch (apart from the first Blues Brothers film).

The only way it's disappointing is if you compare it to "Mr. Show", which at its best was some of the greatest sketch comedy I've ever seen. Otherwise, a perfectly fine comedy film- I'd love to see them do something else in the future too.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »
Not quite as good as the series, but certainly the equal of any of the SNL films based on characters from a sketch (apart from the first Blues Brothers film).

What?!  As good as A Night at the Roxbury?  As good as Superstar?  As good as It's Pat!?

I must track this film down immediately.

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »
Do I detect a whiff of sarcasm!? 

I've heard that "It's Pat" and "Stuart Saves His Family" are better than one might think, especially the latter.  I assume they're still not as good as the books, though.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:55:06 AM »
As far as second-tier SNL movies go, I actually kinda liked Stuart Saves His Family. Ladies Man and It's Pat actually had enough funny moments to make them worth the 90 minute investment. I guess I'm pretty easy on the whole SNL stable of movies. If you go into them expecting them to suck, they probably won't disappoint... Then again, I think Blues Brothers is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the movie. It's just that some great musical numbers make you forget how damn long and drawn out the whole affair is.

I've never seen Run Ronnie Run, but I do have the whole Mr.Show collection on DVD. I guess I was just too lazy to ever seek it out. I'll be grabbin it via Netflix to see if it's worth a purchase.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2550
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 07:30:52 AM »
Do I detect a whiff of sarcasm!? 

I've heard that "It's Pat" and "Stuart Saves His Family" are better than one might think, especially the latter.  I assume they're still not as good as the books, though.

What the heck is Stuart Saves His Family?!

We're all glossing over Wayne's World when we're jumping on the SNL movies, which just goes to show they don't ALL have to suck.

I also quite like the Ladies Man.
FINE

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
Not quite as good as the series, but certainly the equal of any of the SNL films based on characters from a sketch (apart from the first Blues Brothers film).

What?!  As good as A Night at the Roxbury?  As good as Superstar?  As good as It's Pat!?

I must track this film down immediately.

It was WAY better then any SNL movie. Not even in the same ballpark.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
Run Ronnie Run had some moments that were as brilliant as anything on Mr. Show.  I love the part where Terry confesses that he doesn't have an accent, for instance, and Patrick Warburton as the head of the Gay Conspiracy was definitely hilarious.  Most of the movie, though, could have been SO much better.  I think the IDEA of Mandy Patinkin playing Ronnie Dobbs in the Ronnie Dobbs musical is funny, but the execution just wasn't as good as the original sketch that the song came from.  I think the worst thing about Run Ronnie Run, though is the fact that because it was made, it's less likely that there will ever be another Mr. Show movie.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline leeving

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Take it from me. I love you!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 10:52:56 PM »
If New Line was smart they would let Bob and David go back and release their cut.

But i doubt that would ever happen.

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 05:50:12 AM »
I don't think a re-edit would save that film, to be honest. As much as I love Bob and David, I'd guess a fair part of the criticism is them covering up the fact the film just didn't turn out the way they wanted. I'd love to see them do another show, to be honest, or write a new film. I was hoping the new Tenacious D film would have involvement from them, because they had a large hand in their old TV mini-series, but no such luck.

How would I save Run Ronnie Run? Probably edit more unrelated sketches into it, and chop some of the draggy main plot out.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 05:52:45 AM by Famous Mortimer »