login

Poll

When did "SNICK" on Nickelodeon start to decline?

The big orange couch is retired
4 (14.8%)
The SNICK House is born
1 (3.7%)
The "Elevator Music" era
0 (0%)
The "On Air Dare" segments
0 (0%)
Poor quality of shows
6 (22.2%)
Nick stops following the basic scheduling formula
2 (7.4%)
Celebrity guest hosts like the Spice Girls
1 (3.7%)
You grew up
8 (29.6%)
Other
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: What Killed Nickelodeon's "SNICK" for You?  (Read 6271 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: What Killed Nickelodeon's "SNICK" for You?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
Sorry, but the John K getting fired argument when down the toilet when he brought the show back on Spike TV and made Ren & Stimpy have gay sexual intercourse without any ambiguity. It's like saying Return of the Jedi would have been better if George Lucas directed it... and then seeing Jar-Jar. John K is worse than Hitler. He literally raped beloved cartoon character. Not figuratively. Literally. He literally raped Ren & Stimpy. Way harder than whoever took over for him on Nickelodeon.

That is a separate entity. It's evil-hatred-spurned Jon K., not edgy-ahead-of-its-time-insanely-brilliant-and-very-naughty Jon K. Also remember, that most of the creative team with him during the first Ren and Stimpy was not present during the Spike fiasco.

I do like your Lucas analogy. That pretty much covers it. Jon K. raped our childhood in the same way Lucas did.

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
The End of Ren & Stimpy ended my days with SNICK..

The firing of Jon Krickfalusi ended Ren and Stimpy. That is all that matters.

:clap: You got that right... after he left the episodes were garbage...  :clap:
While there were some hidden gems within the crap that was Ren and Stimpy post-Jon K., they just lost so much life that the show couldn't be redeemed and the plug had to be pulled. No one likes life as a vegetable.
I couldnt watch them after john left... it wasnt the same, they were more adult oriented in season 1 and 2
Sorry, but the John K getting fired argument when down the toilet when he brought the show back on Spike TV and made Ren & Stimpy have gay sexual intercourse without any ambiguity. It's like saying Return of the Jedi would have been better if George Lucas directed it... and then seeing Jar-Jar. John K is worse than Hitler. He literally raped beloved cartoon character. Not figuratively. Literally. He literally raped Ren & Stimpy. Way harder than whoever took over for him on Nickelodeon.

They had already been raped I think he was just trying to force some life back into them with some shock value.
and them having gay sex... it's a cartoon they arent real.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
Well if they were REAL it would be their CHOICE and I wouldn't have a PROBLEM with it.

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »
Well if they were REAL it would be their CHOICE and I wouldn't have a PROBLEM with it.
you wouldnt have a problem with it as long as they didnt do it on spike TV?

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »
Do other people have gay sex on Spike TV?

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Do other people have gay sex on Spike TV?

I'm just trying to get this straight.. you said that John Kricfalusi ruined ren and stimpy because of the gay sex.. but if you arent homo-phobic since you said if they were real it would be their choice and you'd be fine with it... I'm just trying to figure out what your problem is with John Kricfalusi. so if it isnt gay sex then it must be public displays of gay sex on spike TV by cartoon characters. matt stone and trey parker have tons of gay material in their comedy did they rape southpark?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by Dankbuds »

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
That was just the most memorable example of how horrible he made the show. It was the lowest common denominator, which I can only assume was purely out of spite and a big "fuck you" to Nickelodeon for daring to have deadlines and restrictions for a children's show that he sold to them. The point is that he was just as capable as Nickelodeon of ruining Ren & Stimpy and thus doesn't deserve deification.

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 01:12:46 AM »
I'm not sure when I fell out of the loop. Im shocked they even attempted to have a new cast for All That once the original people grew up, that had to be awful and short lived. Although I either don't remember or know for sure that I never watched several of the shows you listed. I'd say Angry Beavers was the last Nick cartoon that appealed to me even though I was already older at the time in the mold of Rocko and Ren.

As for the argument that we all simply outgrow these things at some point, I dispute such claims as many of the shows I watched as a child turned out to be very intelligent and still appeal to me today while most of the new stuff is dumbed-down garbage. I can't say I have recently sought out children's shows but I have sampled a few out of morbid curiosity or because I fell asleep during Adult Swim and they just don't come close. Rocko's Modern Life and Animaniacs (though not a Nick show) still rank among the best shows I have ever seen and still watch thanks to the pirates at youtube.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50:21 AM »
As for the argument that we all simply outgrow these things at some point, I dispute such claims as many of the shows I watched as a child turned out to be very intelligent and still appeal to me today while most of the new stuff is dumbed-down garbage. I can't say I have recently sought out children's shows but I have sampled a few out of morbid curiosity or because I fell asleep during Adult Swim and they just don't come close. Rocko's Modern Life and Animaniacs (though not a Nick show) still rank among the best shows I have ever seen and still watch thanks to the pirates at youtube.

The nostalgia factor will always add to enjoyment of something that you otherwise might be less keen on.  You gotta ask yourself if you still love every single TV show that you watched as a kid, or if there are a few exceptions that make you say "this sucks".

Like, I loved watching The Adventures of Link and Captain N The Game Master when I was a kid, but I watched some more episodes last year, and I realized they were just terrible.  Ditto for the Super Mario Brothers cartoon.  Also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Yeah, there were kids shows that appeal to adults.  There still are.  I know plenty of adults who can really get into Spongebob. 

But you gotta take a comprehensive look--try looking up weekday afternoon 3-5 PM and Saturday morning 8-12 AM TV listings from when you were a kid--and then try to watch ALL those shows.  I'm betting you're gonna find a couple that strike you as utter tripe.