Author Topic: DEXTER  (Read 26619 times)

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 144
    • Riff Cover Art
Re: DEXTER
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
I think the introduction of the baby was the first moment of "please no" that I had. Doaks was great and I did like the majority of the characters in the show even if they didn't have that same impact. I think the biggest problem is the fact that the shows acts like it is divulging small facts that would lead up to a great point. Instead we are left with a non-ending and an obvious message of "we don't have a point". Its a show with an incomplete thought. I would have been much happier had they cut out the "Final scene". It would have been more poetic at least. Instead they did the whole twist ending crap that they have used a too much at this point. Apparently the writers of the show were given less time to do the final season which caused it to be rushed. It showed.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
I haven't watched since season 4 and the ending makes me mad.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
Season 4 was one of the best seasons of any television show that I've ever seen.  It's been diminishing returns since then.  Dexter's secret life was the whole point of the show and there were absolutely too many people who found out along the way.   The only one that actually added anything was last season where Deb finally found out since that was where the story was building to all along.  This last season was ridiculous.  Just take the final scene out of contest and put it into a single sentence and absolutely nobody would ever believe it was the real ending.

"Dexter fakes his death by crashing his boat into a hurricane and becomes a lumberjack."  What?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »
I've seen a lot of people debate whether or not Dexter continues killing.  One thing I like that the writers did (a rare clever thing in Season 8 ), was we didn't see his Dark Passenger in the final episode and we didn't get any narration in the final scene.  To me that definitively means he stopped killing.  I think the whole point of the final scene is we would have normally had narration there and we didn't.  Dexter's inner monologue and it's associated sense of humor were GONE.  I like that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:38:34 AM by ShadowDog »
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »
That's still way too little too late though.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
I agree. But if I'm going to harp on everything they got wrong ... and I am ... then I should acknowledge something they nailed perfectly.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

I've seen every episode except for the last 5. I had to stop.

So you missed Harrison's treadmill-fail? No!!!

It needs to be seen. It's a microcosm of what Scott Buck did to the series.

I realize this is a minority opinion but Season 6 and 7 had some great stuff in it.

Like Batista saying "tableau" in 6? I really enjoyed Stevenson in 7. It was as if Dexter did in fact face the Punisher. That was exciting stuff. Then the vacuum that's Hannah McKay became a major player, and the series never recovered.

One thing I like that the writers did (a rare clever thing in Season 8 ), was we didn't see his Dark Passenger in the final episode and we didn't get any narration in the final scene.  To me that definitively means he stopped killing.

Nah, I'm guessing Moloch finally absorbed Dexter. I'm just kidding, but if you're unfamiliar w/ the reference, check to see what Lindsay introduced in Dexter in the Dark. It's mortifying.

I still have very fond memories of the show but the final season was so, so, so horrible. There isn't anyway I can defend any of it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »
Yeah I got the reference. Its why I'll never read the books because I stumbled over that wrong turn. We're lucky at least that the series never went there cuz ... damn.