login

Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 351197 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3856
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #2340 on: February 03, 2014, 03:30:43 PM »
Got up to 70 degrees today, then it'll be 45 tomorrow, then 70 again on Wednesday..
WTF ???

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2639
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2341 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »
Tonight should be fun:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2342 on: February 04, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
Yeah that's what it's looking like out here too but with more snow.  I already decided I'm not bothering bringing the kids to school since the freezing rain is supposed to be starting around dismissal time.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2343 on: February 09, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
Gloom and Doom is being reported for the Carolinas from Tuesday into Thursday with a mix of frozen shit (possibly a significant ice storm) and as much as 8 inches (or more) of snow :o
If we lose power, I'll still have heat thanks to my wood stove (though it hasn't been used in several years.. Should be safe right ??? ) 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2344 on: February 10, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
Significant icing is expected.. Ice coatings of 1 inch or more are expected so power outages are a real possibility :o
OH JOY! :scared:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2345 on: February 10, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Looks like you guys are going to get what we got last week, 700,000 people without power the first day and a good many of them didn't get power back on until this morning.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2346 on: February 10, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
February is always a mixing month.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2347 on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
Looks like you guys are going to get what we got last week, 700,000 people without power the first day and a good many of them didn't get power back on until this morning.
Well like I said, I can easily fire up my wood stove, and my hot water is on natural gas so aside from going through internet withdraws, I think we'll be ok.. And I got all the cell phones and batteries on charge so I'm prepared (I think) ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2348 on: February 10, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
Well like I said, I can easily fire up my wood stove, and my hot water is on natural gas so aside from going through internet withdraws, I think we'll be ok.. And I got all the cell phones and batteries on charge so I'm prepared (I think) ;D

Have you got car chargers?  People around here were using their cars as charging stations on day 3+...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2349 on: February 10, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »

Have you got car chargers?  People around here were using their cars as charging stations on day 3+...
Actually yes! I put a new battery in my truck back in November so that'll help. It has 3/4 tank of gas so it can sit idling for a few days 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2350 on: February 11, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
And Now the snow fall forecast is up to 10 inches with a chance of freezing rain on top of that! :o
We could really be in for some serious shit! :speechless:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2351 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
And Now the snow fall forecast is up to 10 inches with a chance of freezing rain on top of that! :o
We could really be in for some serious shit! :speechless:

Same here, at least they are saying that it won't start until about 10 Wed. night, so tomorrow the drive home from work should now be OK instead of a mess.  Thursday is looking like a stay home day....

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2352 on: February 11, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
We had snow and freezing rain every year when I was a kid living in STL.  We always planned ahead so it just does not strike me as that big of a deal.  I know it is, but we never had super troubles.

Best of luck all.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2353 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
Round 1 is now over and we got 3 inches of snow out of it..
Yeah the big storm brewing in Texas currently is the one we're all freaking out about  :speechless:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2354 on: February 11, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
We had snow and freezing rain every year when I was a kid living in STL.  We always planned ahead so it just does not strike me as that big of a deal.  I know it is, but we never had super troubles.

Best of luck all.

Anything under a foot was no big deal when I was a kid, but that was in New England...

But around here they just can't seem to deal with it, and in poor towns like where I work they don't even touch the roads, driving to work after a storm you can see the town line on the street, where it goes from cleaned and salted to snow covered.  They should have a snow report for those roads, packed powder, slush, or frozen slush.