login

Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 352126 times)

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #1950 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
...only the echoes of my mind...
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #1951 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Get on that bus to Florida then...on second thought....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1952 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
 :D :D :D Dumbasses at The Weather Channel ::)

Weather Channel naming system backfires when NWS rejects Athena

Winter storm Athena
    November 7, 2012

The Weather Channel of Atlanta, Georgia released a statement early on Wednesday stating that Athena, the first name on its newly released 2012-2013 winter storm names list, would be given to the early-season Nor’easter taking shape on the East Coast. Moments after they starting referring to the Nor'easter as Athena, the National Weather Service Eastern Region Headquarters out of Bohemia, NY released a statement asking their forecasters to refrain from using the name. The statement read, "TWC has named the Nor'easter 'Athena.' The NWS does not use named winter storms in our products. Please refrain from using the term Athena in any of our products."

"Exceeding criteria for naming a storm, Athena is expected to cause significant snow mixed with sleet to Philadelphia and a portion of southern New Jersey, including some areas still without power from Sandy. In addition, the wind will gust more than 40 mph (tropical storm force) inland, causing additional power outages and making the storm feel even worse."

Reaction from the meteorology community was abound after the naming and it was generally not positive.

Meteorologist Bill Kardas of WKTV in Utica, NY had this to say about the naming system on his Facebook page...

"The Weather Channel has decided to name winter storms, starting with the one heading up the coast today (Athena). Our weather department will *NOT* be taking part naming winter storms. Here are just a few reasons:

1) Storms will be arbitrarily decided by select meteorologists. Part of the equation factors in population. In other words, a bad winter storm here in CNY could miss out on getting named. Big lake effect events wouldn't count.
    2) A named storm implies importance and danger (hurricanes have names). As we know, most winter storms are far less dangerous than named hurricanes.
    3) The National Weather Service will not be taking part in named winter storms. That alone is enough justification in my opinion."

Meteorologist Andy Gregorio of WTEN in Albany, NY gave the following reaction via Facebook...

"WTEN does not name "winter storms". Don't expect us to use someone else's nomenclature. Its dumb plain and simple..."

WeatherBell Analytics meteorologist Joe Bastardi tweeted on his Twitter account...

"Didn't monkey around, called it Sandy Sequel 4 days ago TWC gimmick named it Athena today. Most mets laughing at them."

Regardless of name or not, this coastal nor'easter will certainly go down as one to remember and especially coming on the heels of a region struggling to pick up from Hurricane Sandy, which made landfall just nine days ago on the coast of southern New Jersey. An unprecedented series of weather events that one may never see again in their lifetime.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1953 on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
    "Exceeding criteria for naming a storm, Athena is expected....

That word bothers me. Is "exceeding" right in this circumstance? I'd think a better sentence might be "Criteria for naming a storm notwithstanding, Athena is expected..." Or am I missing the meaning of the sentence?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1954 on: November 09, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »
in terms on meaning, i think it's missing a "the". i.e. "exceeding the criteria for naming a storm..." like, the "the" doesn't have to be there, but it makes it clearer.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1955 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
But that still doesn't make sense to me. Are they saying that Athena exceeded the criteria for naming a storm? If so, what's all the fuss about naming it then?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1956 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
But that still doesn't make sense to me. Are they saying that Athena exceeded the criteria for naming a storm? If so, what's all the fuss about naming it then?

I think they got a bit excited about their first named storm, using their made up rules that are not very precise.  So they were not all that precise in their statement about the storm. ;D

I love that the National Weather Service and just about everyone else is saying no to them on this.  This kind of thing should be decided by the scientific community, not some corporation.  Maybe name them after they are over, making it easier to refer back to a bad storm when talking about it years later.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1957 on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Sandy is now ranked as the 2nd most powerful hurricane ever if you measure by kinetic energy, it didn't have real high wind speed but it was so huge the total power was amazing.

From the phillyweather.net blog:

Sandy's ranking of 140 terajoules is twice that of the Hiroshima bomb.  Strong storms -- tropical and not -- often contain the equivalent of an atom bomb in energy due to tremendous wind energy they generate due to pressure differentials between the low point and the surrounding atmosphere.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1958 on: November 09, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Well, the weather channel just sucks.

Anyway 70 degrees right now where I am but yet supposed to snow tomorrow. Weird.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1959 on: November 09, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

Anyway 70 degrees right now where I am but yet supposed to snow tomorrow. Weird.

I know, its only 81 in Houston now and by Monday the high will only be to 70.  I better get my winter coats ready.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1960 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »

I know, its only 81 in Houston now and by Monday the high will only be to 70.  I better get my winter coats ready.

I've got a Jacob pelt I can sell you.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1961 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
Is a deal!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1962 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:07 AM »
Yet TWC Still gonna use their name Winter storm name list despite the NWS saying they won't recognize them *face palm* ::)

http://www.weather.com/news/winter/storms/2012/brutus

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1963 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Brutus, my ass!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1964 on: November 10, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
Brutus, my ass!

That sounds like something Brutus' lover would say if Brutus hadn't used enough lube.
"AAAH! Brutus, my ASS!"

Thanks, you made me laugh at bad moment of the day.