Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 351993 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #1860 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
I know really. It's finally starting to feel like October. For the first time in a year, I actually went outside with short sleeves, as always, and decided to get my coat.

We do have this hurricane bearing down on us here on the east coast, but so far it's just been slightly colder, wetter and windier. Just the way I like it. This house has been standing here in SE Virginia for 70 years. Give us your best shot asshole >:( You're a pussy compared to Isabella.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1861 on: October 28, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
Been raining since about 9am.

I checked the weather for where K2 lives (about an hour south of me) and it's hitting him a few hours earlier and the winds will be about 20mph stronger.  MrTorso's neck of the woods (where I work) are about the same as where I live.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1862 on: October 28, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Been raining since about 9am.

I checked the weather for where K2 lives (about an hour south of me) and it's hitting him a few hours earlier and the winds will be about 20mph stronger.  MrTorso's neck of the woods (where I work) are about the same as where I live.
Hope you do some eyewitness video to post on your YouTube channel..
And stay safe up there!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1863 on: October 28, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Hurricane Sandy is rolling in and it's freaking some people out.  We're just not used to hurricanes around here.  It's just a category 1.  I'm kind of excited after Irene was such a let down last year.  I still have fond memories of the buckets and buckets of rain that came with Floyd 12 years ago.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1864 on: October 28, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »
We were camping during Hurricane Bob.  That was fun. Luckily it was the tail end of the storm because we had no idea about it.

GordonZola

« Reply #1865 on: October 28, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Wherever you guys are: I wish you all the best of luck AND STAY SAFE!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1866 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
Live coverage on YouTube on The Weather Channel's YT channel..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4wS4Y3jWl0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/n4wS4Y3jWl0</a>

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1867 on: October 28, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
We were camping during Hurricane Bob.  That was fun. Luckily it was the tail end of the storm because we had no idea about it.

This sort of happened to us last year during Labor Day weekend. We decided to go camping in the middle of Pennsylvania and a tropical storm hit, and we had no idea it was even going to rain (like we're going to check the weather). We spent a very rainy twelve hours in a tent but otherwise we were fine.

We are okay here in Lancaster county -- we're mostly worried about tree branches falling and losing power -- but NYC will be hit pretty hard. The Firm where I work is closed tomorrow and it's just as well, since Amtrak canceled their train service and I have no way of getting to NYC until they reopen. Hopefully I will not have to use any of my vacation time for this. I'm also worried about the house in Brooklyn; hoping that my family and my things are safe.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1868 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Current prediction is the eye will go just south of Philly overnight Monday to Tuesday, that will put it right over my area.  Expecting 48 hours of tropical storm force winds, from Monday morning to Wednesday morning.  And probably 10 inches of rain.  Although they say the heaviest rain will be south of the track, so south Jersey and Delaware will probably be the areas getting the full 10 inches.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1869 on: October 28, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
We are okay here in Lancaster county -- we're mostly worried about tree branches falling and losing power -- but NYC will be hit pretty hard. The Firm where I work is closed tomorrow and it's just as well, since Amtrak canceled their train service and I have no way of getting to NYC until they reopen. Hopefully I will not have to use any of my vacation time for this. I'm also worried about the house in Brooklyn; hoping that my family and my things are safe.

You're still going to get a lot of wind for a long time, so expect a lot of trees going down all over.

The north Jersey shore and NYC are going to get hammered by storm surges, the wind will be on shore for 2 days, so at least 4 full moon high tides getting extra boost from the wind, it's no wonder they are pretty scared over there. 

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #1870 on: October 28, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

People may be over reacting a bit here in upstate NY.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1871 on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »

People may be over reacting a bit here in upstate NY.
Yeah. That was the Budwieser section... :P

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1872 on: October 28, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1873 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
The winds have been the biggest effect in my locale..
A large limb fell from my big maple tree and hit my house about 30 minutes ago leaving a dent in my roof; can't tell if it actually put a hole anywhere cause it's too dark so I'll have to wait till morning to get a better look at the damage :-[

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1874 on: October 28, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
Although they say the heaviest rain will be south of the track, so south Jersey and Delaware will probably be the areas getting the full 10 inches.

:-[

All the schools are closed for tomorrow.  Dunno about Tuesday.  It'll probably be a nice welcome to get a break from Calculus for once.