login

Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 351476 times)

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #1680 on: June 02, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
I officially live in East Lampeter that I'm still not sure how to pronounce tho I know how to say "Ephrata."

According to the Mennonites with whom APGIL works (and to whom I always defer when it comes to pronouncing Lancaster county names), it's pronounced exactly as it's spelled: LAM-PETER. The first e is long.

Thank you.  I think I'll still just say I live near Bridgeport.  East LAM-PETER is awkward to say.

Oh and my crazy-ass local weather is beautiful today...for now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:44:43 AM by Lemming Howard »
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1681 on: June 02, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
It's been fucking gorgeous the last two days; today's high is supposed to be 82. Fantastic. House = open.

House is closed

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #1682 on: June 02, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
Lancaster County PA is also under a Tornado Watch that's been extended from 9 pm to 2 am.  Lot of rain but not a lot of thunder as yet.

A friend of mine posted these pictures that she took earlier by the Park City Mall, and they look a little tornado-y.

In 2005 we had a miniature tornado in South San Fran. Pennsylvania is equally a non-tornado-y place to have tornado-y things going on.

Scary!
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1683 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:08 AM »
Lancaster County PA is also under a Tornado Watch that's been extended from 9 pm to 2 am.  Lot of rain but not a lot of thunder as yet.

A friend of mine posted these pictures that she took earlier by the Park City Mall, and they look a little tornado-y.

In 2005 we had a miniature tornado in South San Fran. Pennsylvania is equally a non-tornado-y place to have tornado-y things going on.

Scary!

Agreed. We really don't get much of that sort of weather; I think it's because of the mountains to the west of us. Even stranger is when my friends down in the North Carolina and South Carolina mountains get tornadoes. Happened a couple of times in the past few years. I thought tornadoes like flat land?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1684 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
Even stranger is when my friends down in the North Carolina and South Carolina mountains get tornadoes. Happened a couple of times in the past few years. I thought tornadoes like flat land?
Depends on the amount of turbulence in the atmosphere but overall tornadoes form more frequently on flatter lands but can form pretty much on any terrain..
The mountains do act as a barrier against severe storms coming out of the west and northwest, but if they come up from the south, then these storms aren't affected too much by the mountains and then you get some nice volatile stuff :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1685 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
Wow! Cool easterly wind and some cold rain today..
Currently only 60 degrees here and not increasing. :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1686 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »
Since this is (kinda) weather related ..
I was wondering what happened to her :o

Weather Channel Anchor Says She Was Fired Over Military Service

Jun 7, 2012

A former anchor at The Weather Channel is suing the network after she said she was fired over a dispute involving her military service.

Nicole Mitchell, an Air Force Reserve Officer and a member of the “Hurricane Hunters” team, has accused The Weather Channel and NBC of discrimination and violating her rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994.

Mitchell said she began to experience harassment about her military service just after The Weather Channel was purchased by NBC, Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court.

Court papers allege NBC bosses made explicit complaints about her military service schedule and created a “hostile working environment” for the anchor.

Mitchell, who holds the rank of captain, was an on-air meteorologist for The Weather Channel from 2004 until 2011 – when her contract was not renewed. She is a highly decorated officer who flies aboard a “Hurricane Hunter” and her military expertise was especially noted during the network’s hurricane coverage.

But after the network was purchased by NBC/Universal, Mitchell said network executives ordered her to get clearance before agreeing to any military assignments.

“I was told in an email, ‘before you agree to military duty, you need to clear it through us first,’” Mitchell told Fox News Radio. “If you don’t show up for orders, you could be court-martialed.”

The Weather Channel released a statement to Fox News Radio declining to comment on the specifics of the case.

Spokesman David Blumenthal said the network “is committed to creating a work atmosphere free of discrimination and in compliance with The Uniformed Services Employment Reemployment rights Act of 1994.”

Blumenthal said some of Mitchell’s allegations were inaccurate, but declined to provide specific examples.

“We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff’s press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process,” he said.

Lance LoRusso, Mitchell’s attorney, called The Weather Channel and NBC’s behavior “deplorable.”

“It is not a matter of providing lip service and saying you support the military,” he told Fox News Radio. “You cannot interfere with their service. You cannot provide harassment or a hostile environment to them and if you do – you are subject to sanctions.”

An incident involving a missed hair appointment seems to be where Mitchell’s career at The Weather Channel.

LoRusso said his client received a telephone call ordering her to appear for a Sunday hair consultation.

“They said quite clearly, ‘this is non-negotiable, no excuses,’” LoRusso said.

But Mitchell did have an excuse – she was on weekend military duty – and Mitchell had given the network advance notice of her responsibilities.

“She was told that was not a good answer,” he recounted. “They gave her a hard time, but she stuck to her guns.”

It wasn’t long before she was transferred from a Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 10 a.m. anchor shift on “Your Weather Today” to a Monday-Friday, 10 p.m.-2a.m. shift.

And LoRusso believes she Mitchell was removed from her star role because she’s a weekend warrior.

“Here we truly believe that the scheduling and the fact that her Reserve duty was up against a schedule of NBC and The Weather Channel – was a motivating factor in their decision,” he said. “That is illegal.”

Mitchell joined the Air National Guard when she was 17-years-old – and the network was well aware of her military commitments when she was hired, LoRusso said.

“It’s not a matter of courtesy,” he said. “It’s a matter of obligation. Our military cannot function as a volunteer force if the individual employers can control when our service members can appear and when they shouldn’t.”

LoRusso noted the irony of NBC’s sponsorship of a pro-military campaign called, ‘Got Your 6’ – vowing to support service members.

“Well, you should start in house,” he said.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1687 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Looks like Summer will be roaring in at full force this year.  We've got a couple of scorchers coming up here in Delaware.  It's temperate today, but a high of 97 tomorrow and 99 on Thursday, 91 on Friday.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1688 on: June 19, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
highs of thirty-five with humidex of forty-three the next two days. barf.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1689 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Looks like Summer will be roaring in at full force this year.  We've got a couple of scorchers coming up here in Delaware.  It's temperate today, but a high of 97 tomorrow and 99 on Thursday, 91 on Friday.

Do. Not. Want.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1690 on: June 19, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
We just got a memo here at work that since there will be extreme temperatures over the next few days in NYC we are allowed to go business casual in the office.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1691 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
We just got a memo here at work that since there will be extreme temperatures over the next few days in NYC we are allowed to go business casual in the office.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1692 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »
I wish! Since I am incapable of dressing up, my business casual is my every day work clothes.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1693 on: June 19, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Just looked up the weather around here, and Thrifty is right. Well, crap, I was hoping to get a lot of walking in this week. I knew I should have walked Monday.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1694 on: June 19, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
highs of thirty-five with humidex of forty-three the next two days. barf.

I knew Canada was cold, but I figured it at least warmed up in the summer time.