Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 355516 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #3900 on: July 06, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Check out the video of a car being flipped over by a possible tornado in NJ:

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/06/mount-laurel-landspout-tornado-new-jersey/
I would Confirm that was a Tornado :o

It has been officially confirmed as an EF-0.  70mph winds.  Not sure it said that when I first looked at the page but it does now.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3901 on: July 11, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
Just had an inch and a half of rain in a single downpour lasting a few minutes, that was really impressive.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3902 on: July 18, 2019, 05:04:09 AM »
Record high of 97 yesterday tied the hottest day of the year so far here with heat index of 103.
Even working inside the post office will full blast AC I was still sweating :gouge:
I felt sorry for the mail carriers in this heat..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:07:20 AM by RVR II »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #3903 on: July 18, 2019, 07:19:52 PM »
It varied from tropical full-sun sauna to torrential downpours with booming thunder about five times today.

I fucking hate this weather.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #3904 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
Tornadoes in the area this morning. Not sure if it was a tornado or just really strong winds, but had one of the 2 willow trees in my backyard blow over. Sucks, but could have been far worse. No one hurt and it fell in the only direction it could have fallen without damaging my roof or fence. So no damage. Just have a big ass tree I have to cut up and a hole to fill in.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3905 on: July 20, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
Tornadoes in the area this morning. Not sure if it was a tornado or just really strong winds, but had one of the 2 willow trees in my backyard blow over. Sucks, but could have been far worse. No one hurt and it fell in the only direction it could have fallen without damaging my roof or fence. So no damage. Just have a big ass tree I have to cut up and a hole to fill in.
I heard about that earlier. I think it was a Derecho, a Bow-Echo of straight line winds :o

Had another 97 degree day here and 96 tomorrow before a cold front moves through on Tuesday with a high that day of only 78.
That'll feel gooood  8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3906 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »
2nd day with the heat index over 115, I think it's 4 days in a row with it over 100.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3907 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
2nd day with the heat index over 115, I think it's 4 days in a row with it over 100.
Yeah it's not much better here in the Carolinas :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3908 on: July 22, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
Massive storm came through this evening as I was driving home from work, non stop lightning, trees down all over the place.  Power is still out for a lot of people, mine came back on around 8:30.

Going through all my electronics, so far all my expensive stuff is OK.  I think there may have been lighting close enough to come over the cable TV coax, took out the UPS that I have on my modem and router, and took out the WAN port on the router, modem is fine.  Able to get the router working by telling it to use dual WAN, so the WAN port is now one of the regular LAN ports.

Sucks because the router is less than 2 years old.  It will work fine like this but I'll probably start looking for a replacement.

The UPS I got cheap as a refurbished unit, that is less than 3 years old.  Batteries are still good, it just beeps and doesn't do anything, can't even turn it off by unplugging it, have to pull the batteries to get it to stop beeping.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3909 on: July 23, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
After a muggy 83 degree morning, the storms started rolling in after lunchtime and the actual cold front line of storms passed through between 3:30-4pm.
Currently a cool refreshing 68 degrees here at 5pm 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3910 on: August 26, 2019, 05:16:43 AM »
First shot of Fall temperatures here in the Carolinas over the weekend felt awesome with highs in the mid 70s Saturday and 80 on Sunday. Lows were in the mid 60s.
Now we're keeping an eye on tropical storm Dorian that could affect our weather Labor day weekend :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3911 on: August 31, 2019, 03:44:53 AM »
Hurricane Dorian now looks to be shifting towards South Carolina and could be affecting my localle as early as Tuesday evening/night.
Trying to get the contractor's crew out to finish the vinyl siding on my house (and install it correctly) so the insulation does not get wet and start to mold..  :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3912 on: September 01, 2019, 06:57:30 AM »
Dorian continues to intensify. Sustained winds are now 175 mph with a minimum central pressure of 922 mb :o
The track brings it along the SC coast by Wed/Thurs with possible tropical storm force winds in my locale by then.. Vinyl siding still not done and his workers were no-shows yesterday! What was done was completely wrong and will have to be pulled and redone so now he says he'll come by Monday afternoon..  ::) Hopefully he'll this finish up before the effects of the hurricane reach us :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3913 on: September 01, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »
Dorian now at 910mb & 185mph tied as the second strongest hurricane in the Atlantic :o
All coastal counties in SC have just been issued evacuations:
"HORRY AND GEORGETOWN EVACUATION ZONE A… CHARLESTON, DORCHESTER AND BERKELEY COUNTY EVACUATION ZONES A, B, C, D, and G… COLLETON COUNTY EVACUATION ZONES A and B… BEAUFORT COUNTY EVACUATION ZONE A ... JASPER COUNTY EVACUATION ZONE A"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3914 on: September 02, 2019, 04:13:16 PM »
Very narrow band of storms over my place a little while ago, my rain gauge measured 1.5 inches, the gauge at work less than 2 miles to the south only measured .34 inches.