login

Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 355683 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #1740 on: July 09, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
Plus there's the added bonus that the Great Dismal Swamp (how's that for an apt name) frequently gets hit by lightning and catches fire. Then we get to put up with swamp fire smoke for days.  :grr:
But it's a big old house that's been inhabited by the same family for three generations, it sounds all sorts of awesome, really. :)

It's not big, but it certainly is old. My grandparents bought it for $4000. We had part of the ceiling collapse a while back and the contractor who replaced it said he'd never seen such a well built house before.

I love this house. I just wish it was located somewhere else.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1741 on: July 09, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
I didn't have central air conditioning when I grew up.  We had a room air conditioner in the living room, so we would congregate there.  Mostly we got by on electric fans of varying power.

Now I do have central air, and with it I barely noticed this heat wave.  I have a fan too, but I usually only use it if I'm just coming in from the outside after some strenuous physical activity.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1742 on: July 09, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
We don't have central air in the new house but I am definitely interested in installing it. Problem is, I'm pretty sure we would have to have the duct work done and the cost for that would be way more than we have on hand.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #1743 on: July 09, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
We don't have central air in the new house but I am definitely interested in installing it. Problem is, I'm pretty sure we would have to have the duct work done and the cost for that would be way more than we have on hand.
Just buy a few window boxes.  They do wonders.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1744 on: July 09, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Just buy a few window boxes.  They do wonders.

Well, we had them in the old house and they were great, and I have a unit in two of our three bedrooms. The problem is with the larger windows, which are the only windows in the living room, dining room and kitchen. They are comprised of one large window flanked by two smaller windows. You can open the smaller windows, but most of our AC units don't fit in them. Like so:

We would need to go out and buy much smaller units to fit in the windows, and we are kind of meh about that idea.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1745 on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
Nice fireplace. Wood or gas?

Wood. Fuck a gas fireplace.

We are talking about taking out the metal/glass door inset thingy because it's fucking ugly, but we're not sure how much cold air that would let in.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:40:47 PM by wurwolf »
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

« Reply #1746 on: July 09, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Nice fireplace. Wood or gas?

Blu Ray.

MontyServo

« Reply #1747 on: July 09, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
Fuck a gas fireplace.

The preceding message was paid for by the National Association of Wood Burning Stoves and Fireplaces.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1748 on: July 09, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
I guess gas fireplaces have the advantage over wood by being less messy and ready at the flip of a switch, whereas with wood little wood chips get all over the place and you have to continually restock your resources. It's just I feel like gas fireplaces are so fake -- what is the point in having one? You might as well go turn on a burner on your gas stove for all the homey-ness and warmth you get from it.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

« Reply #1749 on: July 09, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
I guess gas fireplaces have the advantage over wood by being less messy and ready at the flip of a switch, whereas with wood little wood chips get all over the place and you have to continually restock your resources. It's just I feel like gas fireplaces are so fake -- what is the point in having one? You might as well go turn on a burner on your gas stove for all the homey-ness and warmth you get from it.

Or just get an orange light strip and some small fans blowing up pieces of orange cellophane for a flickering effect.  No muss no fuss...  no heat.  But hey at least it looks cheap and crappy and ghetto.  So there is that.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1750 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
if i want a wood fire, i go camping. if i wanted an indoor fire, i'd want a gas one.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #1751 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Doesn't anyone use peat or coal on this side of the Atlantic? Nothing like crumpets toasted on a nice coal fire.

I still have little inadvertent tatoos incurred while breaking up coal in the bunker for the next day's fires (yep we had huge slabs of the stuff delivered which we then broke into little bits with a mallet,  this seemed like a good idea to my parents; eccentricity, it can be an inherited trait)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:33:53 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

MontyServo

« Reply #1752 on: July 09, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »
if i want a wood fire, i go camping. if i wanted an indoor fire, i'd want a gas one.

Sounds like a bad Billy Joel lyric written on a napkin.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1753 on: July 09, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Not so much peat (what is this, the Scottish moors? ;) ) but I've seen coal burning stoves before. One of the houses we looked at had a beautiful coal stove. It was about the only nice thing about the house.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1754 on: July 09, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!