login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 109954 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 249
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1005 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
Why did postage go up $0.05 cents on January 27, 2019 you may ask? 2 reasons:
1) UPS & FedEx dumping their SurePost & SmartPost packages onto the USPS for us to deliver which we don't get paid for and..
2) We Need New Mail Trucks: https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/04/postal-service-wrapping-testing-mail-truck-prototypes/

Why don't you get paid for #1?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3615
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1006 on: February 06, 2019, 05:04:06 AM »
Why did postage go up $0.05 cents on January 27, 2019 you may ask? 2 reasons:
1) UPS & FedEx dumping their SurePost & SmartPost packages onto the USPS for us to deliver which we don't get paid for and..
2) We Need New Mail Trucks: https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/04/postal-service-wrapping-testing-mail-truck-prototypes/

Why don't you get paid for #1?
It has to do with UPS and FedEx charge a residential surcharge for regular delivery services; however, this surcharge is waived for SurePost and SmartPost deliveries. Since large UPS or FedEx trucks aren’t used to complete the final leg of shipping, they do not assess this fee and in turn the USPS 'eats' the cost for fuel and carrier wages.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 249
« Reply #1007 on: February 15, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
So I was told that my office was going to be visited by a Software Developer turned salesman to help give me training. I asked my boss if the guy's name was Rod. Sadly it wasn't.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1008 on: February 16, 2019, 06:05:02 AM »
So I was told that my office was going to be visited by a Software Developer turned salesman to help give me training. I asked my boss if the guy's name was Rod. Sadly it wasn't.
At least it's not Norman Krasner :-X
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:23:36 AM by RVR II »

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4178

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1010 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Another possible victim of private equity firms?
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/brookville-payless-distribution-hub-danger-parent-prepares-for-bankruptcy/O5IG88Q7ccbQlPnfAGK9FJ/
We have 1 Payless here in town and I can honestly say I've never stepped foot in the place since it's been here in the early 80s, but now I may have to go and see what deals they may have and it may be the last time I go there :-\

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 238
« Reply #1011 on: February 23, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
Over the last 2 weeks a couple of my former bosses have contacted me. One offered me my former job. The other didn't make an offer, but it was obvious they were feeling me out. Both would have paid me more than I'm currently making...the one that made the offer would have been a significant amount more...but damn it felt good being able to tell both that I wasn't interested. My current job isn't perfect, but at the same time money isn't everything and I'm perfectly happy with the money I'm making.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1012 on: February 24, 2019, 12:10:25 AM »
Found out yesterday that 2 PSE Clerks are transferring out of my Post Office, 1 is going to Greenville, SC. The other to Pawleys Island, SC.
This means I could make regular career status much sooner than previously thought (I am currently consideried non-career) but i have to wait till the jobs are posted to current career employees first and after some internal shuffling I will be allowed to fill one of those positions. Right now best guess is this could all be done by late summer or early fall. My goffy 'acting' post master has been pushing for me to get 'window trained' which means I'd be working the counter assisting customers with postage, parcels, po boxes, etc. but I need to take a class first in Charlotte, NC and pass their exam. Not really looking forward to this as I'll be dealing with customers all day but it's part of my job requirement..  :-\ I still may put in for a custodial position should one come available in the next year er so.
Once I make career I can then get full benefits and also start building my retirement pension.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:25:14 AM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1013 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:44 AM »
So Amazon Sunday was the lowest amount of parcels received yet.. We only had 4 and a half pallets total and most of those had large boxes. It only took us 1 hour to sort. Started at 4am finished just before 5 am. Waited around till 6am for the mail truck and when it arrived it had no Priority Mail, only had tubs of magazines so we sorted them till 7am when carriers began to arrive. When the supervisor arrived at 8am she asked for volunteers to go home as we had too many on hand to deliver the small amount of parcels. She even said we may have to consider canceling Amazon Sunday if this amount of parcels continues as it's not cost effective to pay all these carriers for this little amount of work. I hung around till 9am just talking with her about the upcoming changes with the 2 PSE Clerks leaving and the one transferring to Greenville, SC will be gone by March 30 and the other to Pawley's Island, SC soon after that so she's telling me I could very well make career before my Sept. 1 one year anniversary date and that HR needs to move and post 2 new PSE positions or we're going to be critically under staffed.
Afterwards I made $700 dollars from 3 tax clients (as I posted in the WWOOO thread) and the temperature got up to 68 degrees Sunday afternoon so it was a really good day for me 8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:13:19 AM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1014 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:21 AM »
This week  we had just over 300 parcels from Amazon and looks like no Priority mail so far this morning.
The Amazon driver shows up an hour late at 5am and we still got everything sorted by 6am. The mail truck only had 1 pallet of catalogs.
This is turning into a huge waste of time and money! The talk has continued about canceling Amazon Sunday and with this low amount of packages for the second week in a row and Amazon delivering more of their own packages now, the call will continue to grow to just cancel Amazon Sundays altogether.

I've got a few more tax clients showing up later today so I'd rather be home getting ready for them anyway.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1016 on: March 08, 2019, 02:39:44 AM »
Got to work in a tiny post office the last 2 days .
The single person clerk was never informed about it and I was never told the hours I would be working but it was still interesting. Lack of communication seems to be a common trade in the postal service ::) Normally i would be trained in a class but that hasn't happened yet and we are already under staffed  There's still a lot to learn but I would be a backup for the single clerk that works there when she goes on vacation. There's no time clock so I have to write my time on a card and turn it into the main post office that handles their mail.
Amazon Sunday is still a go but for how much longer is still a mystery

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1017 on: March 10, 2019, 04:32:06 AM »
Welp we can forget about thinking Amazon Sunday would be canceled. .
Just sorted over 1000 pieces. Apparently Amazon switched transport companies so that's apparently what the confusion was about the post office losing the amazon contract so it looks like Amazon Sunday won't be going away any time soon
EDIT: Found out later that it sounds like USPS will be operating on Sunday like a normal day but delivering parcels only (no regular mail as of yet) as it sounds like UPS & FedEx will be dropping off their SurePost & SmartPost on Sundays so I'll have to sort that for the carriers to deliver along with Amazon parcels.
Looks like there will be at least 4 PSEs (like my job title) hired in the near future to help us out sorting parcels and I'll be training a couple of them when they show up to my post office and I'll be training them all on Sundays for the upcoming workload.
No rest for the weary..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:41:27 AM by RVR II »