Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 912
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2020, 08:27:45 AM »
Speaking of Amazon, they are making an absolute killing off this pandemic. I heard on NPR a couple days ago that if Amazon keeps making money at the rate they currently are, Jeff Bezos will be the world first trillionaire by 2027.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7106
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2020, 08:46:02 AM »
Speaking of Amazon, they are making an absolute killing off this pandemic. I heard on NPR a couple days ago that if Amazon keeps making money at the rate they currently are, Jeff Bezos will be the world first trillionaire by 2027.

but how are they gonna make any money once the post office raises rates on their packages? ::)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1377
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »

I really hope guillotines make a comeback when this is over
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 344
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
Minor league baseball team in Milwaukee area installing a drive-in screen in their parking lot and intending to show movies until season starts (if it starts-not a MiLB team which has already canceled their season- this one is an indepent league team) and afterwards when team is out of town. Not sure if it will be successful, but seems like a good idea to try. Lots of minor league teams have similar parking lots that don't see much use outside of game days and I'd be more willing to go to a drive-in right now than a theater.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
And things keep changing just about every hour it seems. After state stay at home order got shot down on Wednesday, most cities and counties enacted their own version of it. This afternoon almost all of them recinded their orders. Parking lot of the bar that's on my way home from work was packed. I'm sitting on the back porth enjoying the sun with a homebrew. Not planning to leave the house again until I have to return to work on Monday.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5836
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
My province has been doing great.  120 cases.  All recovered.  No deaths.  No new cases in weeks.  Not looking forward to seeing if the next wave changes that but so far so good.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2397
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2020, 06:00:32 AM »
Found out this morning we have a new confirmed case in my building at work, and it is someone I fairly regularly have contact with. Two more people got sent home with symptoms and told to get tested.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »
PA governor says the Philly area could move from "red" to "yellow" lock down on June 5th, guess he changed his mind on counties needing to have less than 50 new cases a week for 2 weeks.  Hope it happens, on June 5th it will be 10 weeks with the stay at home order in place.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:12 AM »
Record high positives in Wisconsin all week. But also record high numbers of tests being given. Numbers going to drop, but only because half of the testing sites have been shut down. In other words, numbers in Wisconsin don't mean much. Show that yhe virus is still active, but not enough testing and testing not being done in a way to determine how many people really have it or have had it.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5836
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
Last Friday were moved to Yellow Alert.  Now we can visit close friends and a lot of businesses are reopening.  Even my gym is opening back up.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 186
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

PARTY!

Yes! Memorial Day marks the beginning of outdoor party season in my neighborhood.  That means hundreds of people stuffed into some back yard, the stereo blasting music loud enough to penetrate any room of my house beyond 3am in the morning even though the party is a block away, cars double parked everywhere,  drunken revelers vomiting and urinating on every lawn and doorstep in the neighborhood,  and the seemingly mandatory illegal fireworks show that usually ends with one of the guests stealing and lighting a mortar shell without putting it in the tube and showering the other screaming guests with balls of colorful fire.

Party every weekend night until July 4th, then every night until Labor Day! Sometimes two or three loud parties going on at the same time! Call the police to complain about the noise and they don't show up! If they do, the music is turned down for a grand total of one minute, then cranked up twice as loud once the police have left! The party goes on and on till the break of dawn!

That us until this year. Over the weekend I  heard the familiar sound of neighborhood parties starting up. At least four near my block, and about five distant ones. The sudden blast of music over loudspeakers.  Only this time the police showed up within a few minutes and shut things down. And not just a single patrol car knocking on the front door. On at least two of the nighttime parties I saw a shitload of flashing lights coming from the vicinity. At least something positive has come out of this pandemic.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4418
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Our local Habitat for Humanity Restore reopened for the first time this year.
They gave each person a fly swatter to keep count of how many people were inside.. The max number of fly swatters was 54 so if they ran out you couldn't enter until someone left.
Was anyone keeping 6 feet apart from each other? Of course not!  :grr:
Employees were wearing masks but only a few customers were wearing masks.

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 329
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
I miss going to our Restore...and Goodwill and Savers. They have recently reopened these here in NH, but I'm not venturing out yet because of all of the crazy non-mask-wearing non-social-distancing folks out there. If they had any sense, they'd realize that life could go back semi-close to normal if everyone took those simple steps.