Author Topic: Jack Frost: The Real Story of Father Frost  (Read 2832 times)

Offline JonahFalconNYC

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
Jack Frost: The Real Story of Father Frost
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
Jack Frost is a compilation of Russian fairy tales, but I'll focus on the last part of the film, which deals with the story of Father Frost. Just like Snow White, it was softened for mass consumption (the Wicked Queen is forced to put on red hot shoes and dance til she dies):

A woman had a stepdaughter and a daughter of her own, and she hated her stepdaughter. One day, she ordered her husband to take her out into the winter fields and leave her there, and he obeyed. Father Frost found her there, and she was polite and kind to him, and he gave her a chest full of beautiful things and fine garments. When her stepmother sent her father to bring back her body to be buried, he went, and the dog said that she was coming back beautiful and happy, and despite the bribe of a pancake, went on saying it.

When the stepmother saw what her stepdaughter had brought back, she ordered her husband to bring her own daughter out to the fields. The girl was rude to Father Frost, and he froze her to death. When her husband went out to bring her back, the dog said that she would be buried, and despite the bribe of a pancake, repeated it. When he brought back the body, the old woman wept.

Offline MSTJedi

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 570
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Jack Frost: The Real Story of Father Frost
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
Man, what is it with old fairy tales being so morbid? Who told these things to their children?

Offline RoninFox

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1794
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
People who weren't afraid to scar people for life to impart a moral.  "Be kind to people" didn't work, so "be kind to people or a magic man of the woods will kill you with ice" was tried

Offline MSTJedi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
Well, maybe some the "entitlement generation" could do with some pants-wetting fairy tales during their formative years.

"Be good or the evil bear will eat you and drag your eternal soul to Hell."

Or not.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »
What I want to know is where these twerps get off thinking they can bribe a psychic talking dog with pancakes.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:17:36 AM »
You can bribe most dogs with pancakes.  They made a natural extension of the general principle.

Of course, the dogs are psychic, so they'll know they're being manipulated -- but it's pancakes, so they go along anyway.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 05:45:23 AM »
Before there were even morals, parents used to tell their children that murderous witches lived in the lake, just so the kids wouldn't drown themselves. You wouldn't have "pool deaths" if people still did that.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
Or maybe you'd just have confused children skinny-dipping in tetanus-filled murky water but bringing along a pancake to bribe the pond-witch with.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
My high school Russian teacher actually brought in an un-riffed copy of Jack Frost to show us one December. Needless to say I laughed my ass off the entire time. She seemed to understand why so all was well.

We also determined by general concensus that Russian Santa is superior to our own because he can freeze things to death and brings a sexy grand daughter along with him. (in the legend if not the film) Those old threats to children are not completely lost in eastern europe by my understanding, I even caught a peice of it growing up in NJ. My mother never directly threatened to sell me to the gypsies but she did relate having been threatened herself, two generations removed from our immigrant ancestors. I may bring it back into practice for the 4th generation if society continues to degrade.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline MSTJedi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »
Whenever I catch my kids telling a fib, I always jokingly say "You know where liars go, don't you?"

I might stop doing that, though, since the 7-year-old seems to take it a little too seriously.

Offline JonahFalconNYC

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
Whenever I catch my kids telling a fib, I always jokingly say "You know where liars go, don't you?"

I might stop doing that, though, since the 7-year-old seems to take it a little too seriously.

The threat of having to enter politics will frighten anyone.

Offline MSTJedi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »

The threat of having to enter politics will frighten anyone.

I salute you, sir!