Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica **SPOILERS**  (Read 48616 times)

Offline Gil

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »
Um, okay. So the Cylon master plan was to call off an attack that everyone agrees would have destroyed the entire freaking fleet so that they could insert Starbuck in as their secret agent (despite the fact that Starbuck is dead so there is NO REASON for anyone to trust her) so that Starbuck can lead the fleet into an ambush that will destroy the entire freaking fleet?

Exactly, why would anyone on the fleet belive the attack was a bluff just to insert Starbuck?  I can see not trusting her until they can figure out what happened to her, but common sense should have them looking for other reasons the attack was called off....  For dramatic purposes I guess they needed to drive Starbuck to do what she did at the end of the show, but I think they could have come up with something a bit more logical.

Hard to judge the episode, the long wait drove up my expectations too much, I thought the Baltar cult stuff was over done a bit, but right now of all the characters his is the one I'm most curious about as to where it will end up.

Um... okay... I can't believe I need to explain this.  This entire season has been telegraphed from before it premiered.

The Cylons turned off and went away after activating Anders and re-inserting Starbuck into the fleet.  This way they can keep us guessing and pull things out of their ass like they did all last season, for no real reason.

They don't think they can find their way to Earth by themselves, but know that if they just follow the colonists, they will take them there.  Then they'll have found US (present-day Earth) and can wipe out ALL 13 tribes of Kobol.

The first two seasons of BSG minus the season 2 finale was some of the best TV I've ever seen.  After that, it was dispos-all material.  It's not going to get any better.  The reason they didn't move it to NBC is that it would FAIL on NBC and just be another canceled show.  On Sci Fi, it's a hit, because that's the only place that quivering, geeky little nerds could watch it and have Tricia Helfer send chills down their spines for sadomasochistic behavior to Baltar.

The first two seasons were science fiction at its absolute best, worthy of Philip K. Dick.  The third season was a crappy allegory to the Iraq war, which RUINED the show, and the fourth season will be a bunch of mystical, religious NONSENSE.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 11:34:36 AM »
Yeah it jumped the shark in season 2, but I still like the universe they live in so it will be sad to see it off the air.
On timeout

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
Um... okay... I can't believe I need to explain this.  This entire season has been telegraphed from before it premiered.

The Cylons turned off and went away after activating Anders and re-inserting Starbuck into the fleet.  This way they can keep us guessing and pull things out of their ass like they did all last season, for no real reason.

Um, okay ... I can't believe you need to explain that either because I was talking about Roslin's thinking here, and she doesn't have access to the same information we do.  She doesn't know that four cylons were activated, that a Raider reacted to Anders' eye, etc.  WE know why the cylons turned around but most of the fleet inside the show don't know.  With that in mind, Roslin comes across looking pretty dumb.  That's all I'm saying.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2448
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

They don't think they can find their way to Earth by themselves, but know that if they just follow the colonists, they will take them there.  Then they'll have found US (present-day Earth) and can wipe out ALL 13 tribes of Kobol.

I'll repeat, if the Cylons don't know where earth is how could they give Starbuck info about it?  So they didn't re-insert her, there's something else going on there.

As for Anders, hard to say if the raider activated something in him or he set off something in the raider.  Either way there's a big logic hole that's been created with these final 5, all that time on New Caprica and none of the Cylons picked up on them, but a raider in battle does?????  Only way out of that hole is that they were undetectable until they were activated, and the nebula activated them, and once activated Anders was able to signal the raider to back off.  Still pretty weak.

Listening to the podcasts you can tell they do sometimes pull stuff out of their ass, and have had to write around it later, but that's the way it is with shows, since they never know how long they are going to be on the air (especially on Sci-Fi...), at least we will get an ending with BSG, time will tell if it's a good one...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:06:22 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »
I'll repeat, if the Cylons don't know where earth is how could they give Starbuck info about it?  So they didn't re-insert her, there's something else going on there.

"We know more about your religion than you do" -Boomer

It's possible that a description of Earth exists in one of ancient scrolls, and that the Cylons planted that information into Starbuck.  Not saying that's the answer, just speculation.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »

"We know more about your religion than you do" -Boomer

It's possible that a description of Earth exists in one of ancient scrolls, and that the Cylons planted that information into Starbuck.  Not saying that's the answer, just speculation.

If that's the case then it really doesn't make sence to insert her back into the fleet to help them find earth, when they could have wiped out the fleet and go find it themselves....

Also the Cylons took one of her ovaries, did tests, and they didn't recognize her as one of their own?  If she turns out to be a Cylon that will be one major hole in the story, even bigger than them not recognizing Tigh after having him in a cell, so I still think she's not one of the 5, she's something different that's linked with Earth, and that's why the Cylons were so interested in her DNA.  What the first hybrid in Razor said about her could be interpreted several ways.

As a side note: If they find present day earth I will be very disappointed, that's where the original series got really stupid....

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
I find it hard to see Starbuck as a Cylon . . . at least not in league with the other Cylons in the series. It would only make sense (not that everything makes sense in BSG) that she's something else that both sides have no idea about.

What I'm really interested in is seeing what they do with Baltar. All this time he's been seeing visions of Number 6, but it seems that while his vision 6 knows a lot about the Cylons, she's not actually part of the Cylons. That and she seems to know how things will play out before they happen, which rules out the figment of Gaius's imagination explanation. Are they really gonna make her a messenger from God? Also, the real question is this: do the writers know where this is going or is this one of those ass-pulling things?

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »

The first two seasons were science fiction at its absolute best, worthy of Philip K. Dick.  The third season was a crappy allegory to the Iraq war, which RUINED the show, and the fourth season will be a bunch of mystical, religious NONSENSE.

I think it might be a little early to start passing judgement on season 4. We're only 1 episode in. You may be right, but with 21 episodes left to go, it's hard to say.

When season 3 first aired, I thought it started really well, then hit a huge slump at the beginning of the second half, then got good again. Sure, you could say that it was a metaphor for the Iraq War, but the parallels really aren't that strong. It just seemed like a metaphor for all of those sorts of situations, which is what I think the best sci-fi is. Viewing it again as one huge chunk, without having to wait, made me view a lot more favorably.

In any case, I also don't think Starbuck is a Cylon. Beside the fact that Ron Moore has explicitly said that she isn't (which, of course, doesn't mean he hasn't changed his mind since saying that), there isn't any evidence other than she's somehow mysteriously returned from the dead (if, in fact, she was dead).

I have a theory that the final Cylon might be Helo, mostly based on the fact that it would get rid of Hera as a half-breed, and Callie being a Cylon would be pretty boring. I also kinda think Lee Adama might be a Cylon. Don't know why, other than he's such an archetype, and the Cylons have been built as what they see the archetypes of humanity to be (Sharon = mother; 6 = temptress; Leoban = prophet; Cavil = priest; Tigh = alcoholic, which is the archetype I try to live up to). Or maybe Tom Zarek is, which would be so totally awesome.

My dream is that the final Cylon (whether it be the 12th or possibly-non-existant 13th) will be Dirk Benedict. I'd probably die of happiness right there.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »
I have a theory that the final Cylon might be Helo, mostly based on the fact that it would get rid of Hera as a half-breed, and Callie being a Cylon would be pretty boring. I also kinda think Lee Adama might be a Cylon. Don't know why, other than he's such an archetype, and the Cylons have been built as what they see the archetypes of humanity to be (Sharon = mother; 6 = temptress; Leoban = prophet; Cavil = priest; Tigh = alcoholic, which is the archetype I try to live up to). Or maybe Tom Zarek is, which would be so totally awesome.

My dream is that the final Cylon (whether it be the 12th or possibly-non-existant 13th) will be Dirk Benedict. I'd probably die of happiness right there.

I've also been thinking Zarek as the 5th would be great, it also fits with someone that wasn't on Galactica when they were at the nebula to meet the other 4.  Helo would be interesting, it would blow the other Cylons minds that 2 Cylons had a kid.  Hard to explain Lee, since he had a human mom and dad...

Dirk Benedict would be a killer, I think if he were on the set it would be a hard secret for them to keep...

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:32:51 PM »
I think you're on to something.  I think Zarek would be a genius choice as the final Cylon.

By the way, there's an Elephant in the room as far as Tigh being a Cylon.  Unlike all the other cases, Tigh has known people who are still alive for decades.  How long have Tigh and Adama known each other?  10 years?  20?  30?  It's been a long time in any case.  LONG before human form Cylons are supposed to exist, right?

So what happened?  Did they replace real humans with Cylons at some point in the past?  Or is this a major screwup?  LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
By the way, there's an Elephant in the room as far as Tigh being a Cylon.  Unlike all the other cases, Tigh has known people who are still alive for decades.  How long have Tigh and Adama known each other?  10 years?  20?  30?  It's been a long time in any case.  LONG before human form Cylons are supposed to exist, right?

Adama has supposedly known Tigh for 30+ years, and if he's been in the service for 40 years there should be records.  If he fought in the first Cylon war then it was definitely before the experiments to create the first Hybrid.

Moore has said he has an explaination of how this works and we'll find out this season.....

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 12:13:22 AM »

Adama has supposedly known Tigh for 30+ years, and if he's been in the service for 40 years there should be records.  If he fought in the first Cylon war then it was definitely before the experiments to create the first Hybrid.

Moore has said he has an explaination of how this works and we'll find out this season.....

There is an explanation. A friend of mine works for BSG and he told me all about it.

Apparently, Tigh is actually a Cylon from the future. But, what happened is, well, you know how when you drink a whole lot sometimes time gets all messed up for you? It was like that, except he literally drank himself into the past.

And, yeah, it would be such a brilliant move to have the original Apollo turn out to be a Cylon. As far as Lee being one, it's a stretch, I know, but I was thinking, since they can age like normal people (Tigh), and since they've never explicitly said that Admiral Adama was at Lee's birth, maybe there are some shenanigans there. It's tenuous and I think I'll just leave the theory there to die on the trash heap of history.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »
Apparently, Tigh is actually a Cylon from the future. But, what happened is, well, you know how when you drink a whole lot sometimes time gets all messed up for you? It was like that, except he literally drank himself into the past.

Good one  ;D

I'm starting to get the feeling there might be time travel involved, they've been close to deus ex machina a few times but time travel would be going too far...

Clues:

The virus that was on the beacon hit the colonies 3000 years ago.
Starbucks brand new viper
The prophecies from the scrolls.
The way the six in Baltar's head keeps telling him stuff that's going to happen, as if it was implanted somehow (genetic memory or something).

So, they go back in time and become their own gods, then have to set everything up so it all happens again, the 5 are planted to keep the Cylons from destroying the fleet since without it they wouldn't exist.  Nice big Star Trekian time loop, wouldn't that piss people off.  :D

Doctor Who?

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
Um, okay. So the Cylon master plan was to call off an attack that everyone agrees would have destroyed the entire freaking fleet so that they could insert Starbuck in as their secret agent (despite the fact that Starbuck is dead so there is NO REASON for anyone to trust her) so that Starbuck can lead the fleet into an ambush that will destroy the entire freaking fleet?

Exactly, why would anyone on the fleet belive the attack was a bluff just to insert Starbuck?  I can see not trusting her until they can figure out what happened to her, but common sense should have them looking for other reasons the attack was called off....  For dramatic purposes I guess they needed to drive Starbuck to do what she did at the end of the show, but I think they could have come up with something a bit more logical.

Hard to judge the episode, the long wait drove up my expectations too much, I thought the Baltar cult stuff was over done a bit, but right now of all the characters his is the one I'm most curious about as to where it will end up.

The first two seasons of BSG minus the season 2 finale was some of the best TV I've ever seen.  After that, it was dispos-all material.  It's not going to get any better.  The reason they didn't move it to NBC is that it would FAIL on NBC and just be another canceled show.  On Sci Fi, it's a hit, because that's the only place that quivering, geeky little nerds could watch it and have Tricia Helfer send chills down their spines for sadomasochistic behavior to Baltar.

After last nighs episode i think you hit the nail on the head.

Everyone was acting like morons and I couldn't care less about Baltar and his little cult.

I will still be taping this show for my mom(She is a huge fan)but I haven't seen one truely good episode since the end of season 2 so i give up.

Maybe if i hear good buzz about the final I will rent the DVds off of Netflix,but I am not going to turn my life upside down trying to catch it on TV any more.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
I will still be taping this show for my mom(She is a huge fan)but I haven't seen one truely good episode since the end of season 2 so i give up.

Maybe if i hear good buzz about the final I will rent the DVds off of Netflix,but I am not going to turn my life upside down trying to catch it on TV any more.

The previews for tonights episode look real good.

As for season 3:

So you didn't think exodus 1 and 2 were good episodes?  Those stand up with the best from season 2.
And the last 2? The guy playing Baltar's lawyer was great, and we got to see Lee grow up a bit...
The extended version of the boxing episode fills in a lot of character stuff that lets you appreciate some of the other episodes more.
I agree there was a string of 3 or 4 throw away episodes mid season.

I guess if you're always looking for sci fi action then everything past exodus would not be for you, but they've always said this is really a war drama that happens to be in space.