login

Author Topic: Space Mutiny and Battlestar Galactica, what gives?  (Read 12780 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
Space Mutiny and Battlestar Galactica, what gives?
« on: August 27, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »
In another post, LadyKenobi (I'm a big fan!), made a reference to the "Space Mutiny" episode of MST3K which is one of my favorites.  But I have a question that I was hoping someone from Big Brains or Legend might be able to answer.  How in the Hell Michigan did a turkey like that get the rights to use scenes directly from the original "Battlestar Galactica"?

I mean, the space scenes are lifted directly from the original show, and they use it alot more than could possibly considered legal "fair use".  You know?  Glen A. Larson still gets credit for the new awesome BG, so he must still own the rights along with... was it NBC that originally aired it?  Anyway, it always puzzled me how they could have afforded to buy the rights to those scenes but every other aspect of the film cost about 60 bucks US.

Also, why didn't Mike or any of the 'bots make a comment about the "borrowed" BG footage?  Maybe they didn't realize it because they never subjected themselves to the suffering that was the original show?  Maybe they too were afraid of rights violations?  Maybe it's a stupid question?

Who can say.  If anyone can, please let me know.  Thanks!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
Re: Space Mutiny and Battlestar Galactica, what gives?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »
I can answer a part of this. In the ACEG Season 8, Paul Chaplin Reflects on this episode:

As has been the case with several of our movies over the years, almost everyone in this world talks in what would seem to be an Australian accent, although we've found out since taping that the thing was made in South Africa, of all places, so this qualifies as the MST equivalent of caving in and playing Sun City. Oh well.
We got a lot of Internet comment on how we didn't joke about how this movie used the Battlestar Galactica ship for the exteriors, and I have to admit, in retrospect we didn't joke about that at all. To quote the jury foreman at the end of The Producers: of this charge we are, in fact, incredibly guilty. -- Paul Chaplin.

Offline Tarantulas

• #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
Its pretty much a situation of BSG being made in 1978 and Space Mutiny being made in 1988.

You don't think that production houses sell stuff off as stock footage?

And what amounts to less than 2 mins of actual footage couldn't have cost the film makers that much.

Or possibly thats where all the budget for the movie went.. think about it.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:24:18 PM »
Its pretty much a situation of BSG being made in 1978 and Space Mutiny being made in 1988.

You don't think that production houses sell stuff off as stock footage?

And what amounts to less than 2 mins of actual footage couldn't have cost the film makers that much.

Or possibly thats where all the budget for the movie went.. think about it.

Well, your condesending attitude aside, perhaps the more important point is why would Glen A. Larson ALLOW the footage to be used for such a crappy movie.  I myself have paid as much as 30grand for 15 seconds of a crappy song by a crappy band and my company had to go through a fairly rigorous inspection by the studio to see if my intentions to use the song were approved by the artists.  There were lengthy and exhausting negotiations.  And that was just for a stupid presentation to a system of hospital administrators, (we got the work, by the way, yay us!).  I mean, jeeze, I had to prove that the song would not be used for any anti-semitic purpose as the lead singer was jewish and I had to prove that the song would not be used for any meat promotion as one of the musicians was a vegan.

Now, I have never priced out how much it costs to buy the rights to filmed footage but I gotta think it might be more than 10+grand a second.  And I gotta think that NBC and Larson might object to the footage being used in a terrible, unintentionally hilarious, low-low budget sci-fi movie.

That's my point here.

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
I myself have paid as much as 30grand for 15 seconds of a crappy song by a crappy band and my company had to go through a fairly rigorous inspection by the studio to see if my intentions to use the song were approved by the artists.

Well, your boasting aside  ;), its possible that the parties who owned the rights to said footage may not have seen the value in the footage at the time and let it slide on the cheap possibly.  Its possible that it went for big bucks, thus the reason the rest of the movie was filmed in a basement.

Remember it was the 80's and there wasn't a huge wave of gen-x nostalgia + big disposible incomes at the time.

I don't know for sure, I wasn't there.

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:10:35 PM »
I sent an email to David Winters (the director of Space Mutiny), if I get a responce, I will post the results.

Looking at your avatar, are you that Mind Freak guy?

Offline Agent for C.R.O.W.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
As far as the guys not referencing the BSG footage.......

Well I cant give you guys a direct link but I have read a couple of different places that it was just a plain oversite on the part of the staff.  As hard as that is to believe thats what i've read in a couple of different interviews with the guys.

Offline ZachsMind

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Send out a probe. Make it anal.
    • ZachsMind
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 06:24:39 AM »
Well, your condesending attitude aside...

Dude. We're not laughing with you. We're laughing at you. *smirk*
My wishlist: Leonard Part 6, Gigli, Shanghai Surprise, Mannequin, Supercross, Spice World, Pluto Nash, Angel Heart, Ghost Dad, Flashdance, Home Alone, Lifeforce, Maximum Overdrive, Phantasm, Poltergeist 3, Pretty Woman, Robocop, Sixth Sense

Movies I don't want Riff'd
any Tom Cruise movies. Yuck

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 07:50:41 AM »
Agent for C.R.O.W.:

There is a post up the thread here that addresses the BSG footage...

ZachsMind:

Wait... who's getting slammed now?

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 12:49:40 PM »
Yeah, I apologize.  I had a party at my house all day and I was a little toasted when I posted, hehe.

Um, yeah I was murky there.  Tarantulas, what you say makes sense, but I really suspect that the producers just used the footage without permission and Larson and Co. just never realized it because, you know... who the hell ever knew Space Mutiny existed before MST3K?  (Well, actually, I think I flipped past it was on Cinemax late night several years ago).

But, you're right, Larson may have just been strapped for cash and sold off some footage to get that ivory back scratcher he had his eye on.

Oh and I checked, it was 12grand we paid for limited use of the song and I don't know where I got the "10+grand a second" figure... as I said, toasted posting.

Oh, and my avatar is Ronnie James Dio, not me.  He was the lead singer for Rainbow, then Black Sabbath after Ozzy left and then his own solo band "Dio" that was relevant for a couple years in the 80's.  I wanted a Black Sabbath logo I had on the ol' harddrive but it was illegible.  As Dio has dropped off the radar like, 10 years now, I figured most people would think it was me.  But I really like when I put the word "Hello!" underneath it, it looked really goofy so I kept it.

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 01:21:24 PM »
I just thought that it might be possible that the BSG folks might have just contracted out the SFX to some other company and got a discounted rate since the company that did the actualy work retained some sort of rights.

Maybe..

Remember, BSG was a pretty cheap looking Star Wars knock off way back when...  So I guess anything is possible.

Its a theory at least.

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:18 PM »
Ok.. Here's what I emailed David Winters, and what he emailed me back.

> Sir,
>
>    I very much enjoyed "Space Mutiny" but had a quick question for you. 
> How where you able to secure the footage for the space scenes?
> I'm sure it was very expensive to use footage from Battle Star
> Galacitica, which is why I ask.
>
> Thank you for your time!
>
> Ron McAdams

Dear Ron

I bought out takes from Universal Studios. My deal was, i could only use them in this one particular film.

all the best

David

Offline Msampo

• Schnappi Supporter
  • The Sampo building (photo by Kevin Murphy)
    • Satellite News
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 05:56:28 PM »
Also, why didn't Mike or any of the 'bots make a comment about the "borrowed" BG footage?

My view of this is that this is something that would never have happened if Frank or Trace had still been on the staff. Trace and Frank were the "geeks." The people on staff on Season 8 simply didn't recognize the Galactica when they saw it. Galactica fans boggle at the notion, but I think that's what happened.

Sampo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:45:31 PM by Msampo »
MST3Kinfo.com--The official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fan site.
Join us, won't we?

Offline fishbulb

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • A Space in the Crowd
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »
Also, why didn't Mike or any of the 'bots make a comment about the "borrowed" BG footage? 

I think the Brains circa Season 8 are too nice to say this, but it's a bit much to assume that stock footage from Battlestar Galactica is part of the lingua franca of the show's pop culture references.

If, for example, a character looks exactly like Richard Nixon, and they say nothing, that would be notable, because nearly everyone knows what he looked like.  But not noticing the BG footage just means they're part of the vast majority of people in the world who would never have recognized that footage, including me.
The revolution will not be riffed!!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1315
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 08:21:49 PM »

I think the Brains circa Season 8 are too nice to say this, but it's a bit much to assume that stock footage from Battlestar Galactica is part of the lingua franca of the show's pop culture references.

If, for example, a character looks exactly like Richard Nixon, and they say nothing, that would be notable, because nearly everyone knows what he looked like.  But not noticing the BG footage just means they're part of the vast majority of people in the world who would never have recognized that footage, including me.

I'm going to have to call BS on that one.  MST3K was known for it's obscure references.  If you are insinuating that they consciously chose not to make the reference, I disagree with you.  I think they just didn't recognize it.