login

Author Topic: Inspector Gadget  (Read 2230 times)

Johnny_Short_Torso

Inspector Gadget
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:47:50 PM »
Remember that animated show from the 80's? It was a show about a kid named Penny and a dog named Brain who amazingly managed to thwart the plans of evil bad guys 100% of the time. Now the kid may be smart but tell me, who in all of God's green earth would give a laser wristwatch to a 12 year old kid? I hated this show because it was insufferable... every show a kid and a dog managed to do what Inspector Gadget could never possibly do. Which kind of makes me wonder, what if for once Penny and the Brain one time couldn't beat the bad guys but instead were captured by a gang that put them in stocks and kicked each of them in the ass with steel toed boots until their hair fell out? What if Cobra won every time on GI Joe? I don't know, you tell me!

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
Re: Inspector Gadget
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:56:33 PM »
If this is all that Mike and the rest of the MST3K staff had to sample of anime, I can understand their hate...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »

I liked Inspector Gadget when I was a youngin. I can still remember watching the premier episode when I was 9 or 10 years old. The local UHF station broadcasted the premiere in primetime for some reason even tho the show's regular time slot was the afternoon.

Great theme song, for better or worse, that will be with me until I leave this mortal realm.... Don Adams doing some solid voice work, even if it's just an animated "Get Smart"... Sure, the premise was goofy but it was all good fun for a 10 year old. Maybe if I went back and watched it as a thirtysomething I would change my mind... but I'm content with my fond, nostalgia fueld memories.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:18:21 AM »
this was anime??? thats news to me. 

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
I may have misspoke, there had been some debate over at ANN's(Anime News Network) forums as to whether or not to include Inspector Gadget and other similar shows to their 'anime encyclopedia', due to the fact that they were allegedly a French-Japanese co-production.  After consulting Wikipedia and IMDB, I believe this may be due to an assumption that because DIC was involved, that it had to be anime. In fact it was joint venture betwixt The US(DIC), Canada(YTV), and some french company whose name I can't as yet ascertain.....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:17:33 PM by Thom_Serveaux »

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »
ah i thought that seemed weird

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
Yeah I had heard a couple years ago that it was anime and am ashamed to admit that I didn't bother to investigate further....