Poll

What ranking do you give this track?  1 star being poor, 10 being rifftacular.

**********(10)
24 (31.2%)
*********(9)
17 (22.1%)
********(8 )
19 (24.7%)
*******(7)
6 (7.8%)
******(6)
5 (6.5%)
*****(5)
2 (2.6%)
****(4)
1 (1.3%)
***(3)
0 (0%)
**(2)
2 (2.6%)
*(1)
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Rank-a-Riff  (Read 12888 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Rank-a-Riff
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:11:58 AM »
Don't have time to sift through the thoughts topic?  Have a poll fetish?  Can't read?  No worries.  Just rank your Rifftrax here.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Re: Rank-a-Riff
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 01:13:19 PM »
This one was awesome. I don't understand the votes of 4 and 6, its at least a 9.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:26:16 PM »
See I voted this as one of the worst. Being mean isn't being funny. They are clearly doing it because 'they have to'. It's getting a free ride because people want to see The Phantom Menace torn a new asshole. I'm not saying I didn't laugh, not saying I didn't find some of it funny. But instead of 'teh funnay', it's 'oh this sucks' '<various barfing noises>' 'I'm slitting my wrists now' etc etc. You can't deny that this was an angrier meaner rifftrax. I am fairly certain if this was for another movie it wouldn't be rated so highly.

However 'Rommel, you magnificent son of a bitch, I read your book' was brilliant.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »
While I too could have done with a bit less "this movie is teh suxx0r!!!1!!", I thought the riffing had many other aspects that made up for that part. I'm not unreservedly positive, but found it enjoyable on the whole and absolutely hilarious in parts.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »

I agree that the venom on this one did detract from some of the funny. That said, they were pretty damn hilarious with the exception of aforemetioned barf noises, suicide references, etc. that were a bit overdone. I gave it 8/10.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 10:02:40 PM »
I know how you guys may feel, but for me, it just kinda pointed out a lot of Lucas' stupidity. That whole virgin birth thing, trying to make Shmi out to be like the Virgin Mary was just really dumb.

What I found interesting was the only 2 movies not directed by Lucas were in my opinion the best ones of the Star Wars franchise: TESB and ROTJ.

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 06:06:18 PM »
I know how you guys may feel, but for me, it just kinda pointed out a lot of Lucas' stupidity. That whole virgin birth thing, trying to make Shmi out to be like the Virgin Mary was just really dumb.

What I found interesting was the only 2 movies not directed by Lucas were in my opinion the best ones of the Star Wars franchise: TESB and ROTJ.

I love how Kevin put it, Lucas's looting of the western cannon. He proved right there by having the concept of a virgin birth that he was completely out of ideas, and had to... ahem...borrow from other literary sources.

As for when ESB and ROTJ came out, that was back when George Lucas wasn't a greedy, power hungry tyrant on the verge of insanity.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:01:46 AM »
See I voted this as one of the worst. Being mean isn't being funny. They are clearly doing it because 'they have to'. It's getting a free ride because people want to see The Phantom Menace torn a new asshole. I'm not saying I didn't laugh, not saying I didn't find some of it funny. But instead of 'teh funnay', it's 'oh this sucks' '<various barfing noises>' 'I'm slitting my wrists now' etc etc. You can't deny that this was an angrier meaner rifftrax. I am fairly certain if this was for another movie it wouldn't be rated so highly.

However 'Rommel, you magnificent son of a bitch, I read your book' was brilliant.

I agree with this.  Watching this Rifftrax reminded me of the scene in the Hobgoblins episode of MST3K where Mike set up the cardboard cutouts to try and escape the movie.  Almost all the riffs here seemed to be "hey, this is a dumb movie" and "hey, that was dumb" and so on.

Hey, Phantom Menace is an unpopular movie, and I'll let everyone have their opinion of it, but this was so amateurish in its riffing; ANYONE can make generic snide comments about disliking a movie.  We turn to these guys to make witty, well timed comments, not just to keep saying "HAY THIS MOVIE SUCKS".  I kept waiting for a few funny riffs, but it was all the same the whole two hours through. 

Probably doesn't help that I actually liked this movie.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:33:22 AM »
Thats funny, I consider this Rifftrax a classic, my score of a perfect Ten still stands

Offline Tigertrout

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • THIS IS THE TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »
I just finished it. I thought it was pretty funny some parts, but yeah, I think they could have done better.
I liked the anti Jar Jar jokes though.
"I think it would be ironic if everybody was made of iron." Michael J. Caboose.

Offline LordMcGuffin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 07:04:36 AM »
I have a question...

WHO THE HECK IS SCHNAPPI?

Seriously I get MOST of the jokes but I just couldn't figure that one out.

EDIT: I got it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnappi, thanks internet!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:17:24 AM by LordMcGuffin »

spaceforarent

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 07:17:35 AM »
I have a question...

WHO THE HECK IS SCHNOPPY? rofl

Seriously I get MOST of the jokes but I just couldn't figure that one out.

http://blog.rifftrax.com/2007/04/25/ask-mike-episode-1/

Listen to that. It should explain everything

Offline Uileag

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »
Well, the actual content of a riff is one thing.  The other thing is timing.  And it was the timing on the riffs that nearly had me on the floor.

Frankly, I didn't make it through the movie the first time I saw it.  I found it to be just that bad.  Thank god I never went to see it in a theatre.  I can think of better things to spend 12 bucks on.

But Rifftrax made this film watchable for me.

And as far as Kevin's barfing noises?  Classic!  The timing (and, frankly, the amazingly realistic sound) he used had me in stitches.  I was praying there'd be some call-back barfing humour in the Rifftrax for "Attack of the Clones."  Alas, not.

I only wish they'd been harder on the kid.   :D

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
I think part of the reason there was so much venom is that Mike and Kevin genuinely hate this movie. During interviews around the time this Rifftrax came out, Mike said it was one of the worst movies he'd ever seen. I'm sure there wasn't a lot of exaggeration in their comments.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
Re-watched this again.  My inspiration was that it was getting some pretty negative comments by people on the forum.  I remember loving this when it came out.  On review, it certainly isn't as good as Ep 3's riff, but that's because I soon realized that Ep 1's riff only has two riffers!  So I gotta give leeway for that.  The Jar Jar hatred really flies (my favorite part is Mike's comment, "LOOK, GO TO HELL!").  Unfortunately, there is a lot of lowbrow gags.  I love a good ole lowbrow joke every so often, but Phantom Menace is so bad, and the amount of lowbrow stuff is so prevalent, that it comes off... hmm... kinda lazy?  Having said all that... I look forward to watching it again within the next year.  ;D