login

Author Topic: So.. How about They Might Be Giants?  (Read 15091 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: So.. How about They Might Be Giants?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »
I have, I think, all their CDs.  There are some great tracks on there, but there are a bunch of crummy ones too.  As far as bands go, this is pretty normal.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2505
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »
I recently finished off my collection with Mink Car. I actually really like it. The popular opinion seems to be that this is the worst album they've ever done, but almost every track is a winner for me. Maybe it's because I wasn't quite a fan yet when TMBG added to their band or whatever they did that changed their sound, so I don't see this as the shark-jumping moment that some of the more long-time fans do, but I like nearly every song. I love their cover of Yeh Yeh, and "Man It's So Loud in Here" might be on my top 10 TMBG song list. The whole album seems a bit more upbeat and energetic than the others (Despite the inclusion of songs like, "Hopless Bleak Despair" and "My Man")

Now that I have all the (Non kiddie) TMBG albums (I intend to collect the kid albums next) I'd rank them (Best to Least-Best)

Flood
Lincoln
Mink Car
They Might Be Giants
Apollo 18
Long Tall Weekend
The Spine
John Henry
The Else
Factory Showroom

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
I recently finished off my collection with Mink Car. I actually really like it. The popular opinion seems to be that this is the worst album they've ever done, but almost every track is a winner for me. Maybe it's because I wasn't quite a fan yet when TMBG added to their band or whatever they did that changed their sound, so I don't see this as the shark-jumping moment that some of the more long-time fans do, but I like nearly every song. I love their cover of Yeh Yeh, and "Man It's So Loud in Here" might be on my top 10 TMBG song list. The whole album seems a bit more upbeat and energetic than the others (Despite the inclusion of songs like, "Hopless Bleak Despair" and "My Man")

Now that I have all the (Non kiddie) TMBG albums (I intend to collect the kid albums next) I'd rank them (Best to Least-Best)

Flood
Lincoln
Mink Car
They Might Be Giants
Apollo 18
Long Tall Weekend
The Spine
John Henry
The Else
Factory Showroom

People don't like Mink Car?  I don't know why.  It's a solid album.  It's the last tmbg album so far that I've liked every track of.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
I liked those Ape Cycle songs they did.  I wonder what inspired those.  Ape Cycle Planet of the Apes was perfect for my menu when Matthew Elliot riffed it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Time to dust this thread off because there's a new album next week!

AND if you want, you can stream it right now and totally free right here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/they-might-be-giants-pack-mini-jams-into-nanobots-album-premiere-20130226

I'm torn. I want to hear it, but I want my first time hearing it to be over-and-over-again in my car. Hmmm..

EDIT: Or at least it WILL stream once they iron out some technical difficulties, it seems...

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Stream's working now. For me, at least.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2404
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
Wow, it sounds great.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2266
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
They are coming to Australia, I think it might be my first night out since our baby arrived!
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
Well, none of the songs jumped out and grabbed me like a bunch of the songs on "Join Us" but I think I like Nanobots. There's a cohesiveness to it. The songs all belong together. Maybe it's because I listened to it on the car drive home while the sun went down, but it feels very mellow. I'll have to give it a few more rotations before I know which songs I liked best, but Replicant and 9 Secret Steps are early contenders.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2016, 05:03:11 PM »
New pay-what-you-want album from They Might Be Giants!

https://tmbgifc.com/phonepower.php

Their last couple of albums have been great, so I'm looking forward to listening to this after work.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
Having more trouble than usual falling in love with Phone Power. Too mellow, I think. Some of the more understated TMBG albums take a while to worm their way into my heart, so I'll give it a few more listens before giving up on it.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
I had my first listen to the first half of it yesterday. Seems OK, but not as great as their last couple.

Had at least one stand out, but I didn't check what its name was :P Will make a point of looking on the next listen.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
After listening to "I Like Fun," I think TMBG needs a hug. They've always had a dark undercurrent, but it bubbles a lot closer to the surface than usual. Still lyrically/musically brilliant, of course. I'm gonna need some time to get to know this one.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 333
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
I think I Like Fun is the best album since Join Us. It's a great mix of different types of songs, all done to the best of their ability. I think this album would make a great introduction to the band. I also love the fact that, since Join Us, TMBG has become a band that benefits from a good pair of headphones. They have been experimenting with some really interesting sounds and instruments.

I've been able to figure out the meaning of every song except McCafferty's Bib. No idea what that refers to.

But yes, HEAVY emphasis on death throughout, but it's all upbeat. Naming it "I Like Fun" considering this is classic TMBG humor. This tonal disconnect between lyrics and music is very much a core aspect of their music, though. I had to explain to my wife the other night that "Twisting" is not about doing the twist.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5173
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2018, 08:07:27 AM »

But yes, HEAVY emphasis on death throughout, but it's all upbeat. Naming it "I Like Fun" considering this is classic TMBG humor. This tonal disconnect between lyrics and music is very much a core aspect of their music, though. I had to explain to my wife the other night that "Twisting" is not about doing the twist.
I should check that out then. That description reminds me of the Scissor Sisters "I Can't Decide" that I love so much.