Author Topic: Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter Question  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter Question
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:17:30 AM »
My most wonderful sister sent me and Xbox 360 for XMAS (I will let her live another year).

I see to hook it up to my wireless network, I need to buy a wireless network adapter for the unit (FAIL).   On their website, it says it is compatable with wireless G, but it does not mention wireless N (which I have).

Does anyone have the wireless adaper for their wireless N network and does it work okay?

I see that XBOX still has no plans for Blu-Ray (another FAIL) but they are going to rely on people downloading movies.   Thank goodness it works with Netflix "play now" feature.    Anyone use that feature, and how does it work?

Thank you all in advance.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter Question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:25:04 AM »
I believe your N network should be able to run G, A, and B networks cuz N is the fastest and newest version and they try to make them compatible with previous network standards.  I just wired my 360 directly to my wired router and use my wireless router for my computers only.

As far as Netflix streaming goes, it's great!....and the new 360 interface is fast and easy.

On timeout

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 2
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »
Thank goodness it works with Netflix "play now" feature.    Anyone use that feature, and how does it work?

When you sign onto XBL and go to the Netflix section it should give you a code to enter on Netflix's site.  Go to the address that they give you and type in that code.  Then you should be able to play the movies on your 360.  You can't search Netflix or add movies to your Instant queue from XBL.  You can only play the movies that are in your Instant queue.
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »
Excellant, thanks for the confirmation guys.    I have my Xbox hooked up to my TV and I wanted to be sure that the wireless works before I plunk down $100 for the wireless adapter.

Looking forward to getting Netflix movies send down.

Gee, I wonder what kind of games I should get?    MADDEN!!!!!!!

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:56:07 AM »
If you want to do some extra work to save money you can purchase a cheap wireless router and flash the firmware to make it a wireless bridge. There are instructions on how to do this if you look online.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
Thanks! I'll take a look around for such a specific thing.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »
And like the article says if you're not too tech savvy just buy the $100 receiver otherwise you may want to read that how-to and maybe buy one of these to mess with. That's the cheapest I've found one.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
There is always of course the wired option!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:42:25 PM »
There is always of course the wired option!

Sadly, my modem is in the office and I have the 360 hooked up to the Family room TV.

I picked up the wireless one (and Left 4 Dead............... AWESOME) today at lunch.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
I had the opposite problem with my Wii. It comes with only wireless networking, so I had to get an adapter to use a wire setup. Since I'm not one to play anything online, I'm fine with just hooking up my PC, Wii, or 360 using an Ethernet cable from my modem for updates and game downloads. I mean, it was either $25 for the Wii adapter or $50 for a halfway decent wireless router and $100 for the 360 Wireless adapter. And since I have my PC and game systems in the same room, it all works out. Yeah, I'm behind the times, but it works for my needs.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
BTW, the wireless adapter for the original XBox works on the 360, and costs half as much.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »
BTW, the wireless adapter for the original XBox works on the 360, and costs half as much.

Ah, duly noted.

Turns out the adapter I got for the Wii didn't work for my setup because I recently had to go to my backup DSL modem that uses PPPoE and, come to find out, the Wii doesn't support that. Xbox 360 does, but Nintendo apparently found such things unnecessary. The newer modem decided to stop working a few days before Christmas. Luckily I had the older one just sitting around from about 5 years ago and the tech AT&T sent was able to get the thing set up on my computer.

The bright side to all this is that my mother-in-law, who always knows somebody who knows somebody, was able to come upon a wireless router. So now my Wii is connected and we were able to download Super Mario 1 - 3 and Lost Levels and Harvest Moon. I would like to get the Strong Bad games, but so far that's $50 for all of them and I'm sure they'll just keep churning them out.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:03:48 AM »
And like the article says if you're not too tech savvy just buy the $100 receiver otherwise you may want to read that how-to and maybe buy one of these to mess with. That's the cheapest I've found one.

Or if you're like me, techy enough to do it but way to lazy. :)  The adapter is plug and play. It's almost worth the price not to hassle with it.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?