login

Author Topic: This movie was bad  (Read 27004 times)

Offline Goshzilla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
This movie was bad
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:36:22 PM »
Seriously I have to agree with Mike Nelson on this. It contributes nothing important to the Star Wars mythology, and in many places it even hurts it. Why is the pod race so crucial to the star wars universe? Do we see it again, or is this just Lucas revisting chase scenes from Return of the Jedi?

For some reason Lucas had to go out of his way to explain how Jedis are one with the force cause of midichlorians. Thank you Lucas, at one point most people were perfectly fine with a spiritual connection, like how in martial art films the good guy has the edge cause their soul is pure, etc. but apparently that dream is dead.

Lucas also had to go out of his way to explain the origins of both C3P0 and R2D2. With C3PO's origins more ludicrous. Exactly how small of a galaxy is this? Note to Lucas... change the opening text to In a small galaxy far far away.

Did anyone know that Queen Amadala was elected, and she is 14 years old? Naboo is a pretty stupid planet then.

Good things pointed out by Kevin and Mike is that the force was meerly used as a conveneince to the story. Kevin singing part of the famous Madam Butterfly aria. The absurdity in giving R2D2 a medal for bravery, and the ridiculous constant costume changes Queen Amadama.

The music, I'm sorry but John Williams emphsizes stuff where music wasn't even needed. There is nothing grand, or operatic about fixing a jet engine, or Anakin showing his friends his room. Are those scenes where someone can think back and say "Oh John is using the Anakin can fix things motif"?

And as good as the special effects were, they were only good back in 1999, for some reason digital effects just look awful faster than the previous effects. So we can't even say that the implementation of special effects were monumental.

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
Re: This movie was bad
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:14:57 AM »
The whole midiclorian thing gets more stupid every time I think about it. So they have symbiotic lifeforms living in their cells which allow them to communicate with the force. How do the midiclorians channel the force? Do they have smaller midiclorianites in their own cells, which in turn have nanomidiclorians in their cells, which then have...where does it end!?

Argh! It's like a Russian Doll of dumbass!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:38:12 AM »
I was thinking the midichlorians were supposed to be like the mitochondria in our cells. It's been said that the mitochondria are almost separate organisms, so I guess Lucas decided to run with that. Even so, I still think that coming up with the whole idea was making the Force way too complicated. The Force is supposed to be mysterious - trying to come up with scientific explanations just cheapens it.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:43:43 AM »
I think Kevin nailed my original feelings perfectly. Seeing this in the theater, I kept waiting for it to get better. The opening lightsaber/escape sequence was good enough for an opener, but then each scene really did start to eat more than previous scene once Jar Jar showed up. By the time Anakin was introduced as the builder of C3PO, I had completely given up hope. When he was all excited to run away with the hairy stranger without so much as saying goodbye to his mother... it was all downhill. Then they trotted out a midget with a full sized Greedo mask to represent "Kid Greedo"... and it started gathering some more speed. Then the two headed play-by-play Pod Race guys show up with the 'designed by Friz Freeling' pod race alien drivers... and it went off the rails and completely over the cliff.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:41:47 AM »

Lucas also had to go out of his way to explain the origins of both C3P0 and R2D2. With C3PO's origins more ludicrous. Exactly how small of a galaxy is this? Note to Lucas... change the opening text to In a small galaxy far far away.

funny, i thought the same thing when lucas decided that leah and luke are siblings :/

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3213
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »
I dunno if Midichlorians "Cause" the force. I think that force-adepts tend to have more of them. They're an indicator more than a cause.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:04:07 AM »
I dunno if Midichlorians "Cause" the force. I think that force-adepts tend to have more of them. They're an indicator more than a cause.

Doh! You beat me to it!

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »
QUI-GON : Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force.
ANAKIN : They live inside of me?
QUI-GON : In your cells. We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians.
ANAKIN : Symbionts?
QUI-GON : Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force.

I interpreted that as them being man's medium with the Force.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 12:18:39 PM »
I like this movie more than I used to.  I think if you ignore Jar Jar and some of Anakin's goofier moments, it's actually a decent film.  Or maybe it's just that the hurt I felt when I first watched it has worn off.  Maybe I've gone through all the stages of grief.

Stage 1: Denial: "Oh no!  George Lucas did not make a Star Wars movie this bad!

Stage 2: Anger:  "Damn you, George Lucas!  Why did you makes such a crappy Star Wars movie?!"

Stage 3: Bargaining: "Okay, George Lucas.  I'll give you anything you want if you make a better Star Wars movie.

Stage 4: Depression: "Star Wars is ruined for me forever!"

and finally

Stage 5: Acceptance:  "Aw, screw it.  I just won't let my expectations get so high for the next one."
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 01:07:56 PM »
But prequels included, Star Wars still beats Star Trek for awesomeness ;)
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Aaron Haynes

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 03:11:01 AM »
I didn't realize this movie was bad until I watched it with the Rifftrax on. Seriously, I sort of enjoyed it, or at least my memories of it weren't too horrible. Watching it with Mike/Kevin's audio brought out everything that was embarrassing, inexplicable, or excruciatingly boring.

I always hated Jar-Jar, obviously.

Offline Goshzilla

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:26:43 PM »
A life long star wars fan and friend of mine was nuts about Phantom Menace, at least I thought he was. Then when Attack of the Clones came out, he finally admitted, "Phantom Menace wasn't that good, and Attack of the Clones is just as bad."

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
But prequels included, Star Wars still beats Star Trek for awesomeness

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!  how dare you sully my captain sisko.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 07:22:57 AM »
But prequels included, Star Wars still beats Star Trek for awesomeness

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!  how dare you sully my captain sisko.

The only REAL Starfleet captains wear wigs.

Offline chaseredbat

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »

Seriously I have to agree with Mike Nelson on this. It contributes nothing important to the Star Wars mythology, and in many places it even hurts it. Why is the pod race so crucial to the star wars universe? Do we see it again, or is this just Lucas revisting chase scenes from Return of the Jedi?
Um... it was an action scene. It was eye candy. Why exactly does everything have to contribute to Star Wars Mythology? It is an action movie after all. I dont know about you, but I usually expect an action scene or two in an action movie.

For some reason Lucas had to go out of his way to explain how Jedis are one with the force cause of midichlorians. Thank you Lucas, at one point most people were perfectly fine with a spiritual connection, like how in martial art films the good guy has the edge cause their soul is pure, etc. but apparently that dream is dead. Lucas also had to go out of his way to explain the origins of both C3P0 and R2D2. With C3PO's origins more ludicrous. Exactly how small of a galaxy is this? Note to Lucas... change the opening text to In a small galaxy far far away.
Yes, you are absolutely right about C3P0. Because coincidences never ever happen in real life, and of course besides that Star Wars was a completely realistic film. The movie would have been much better if there had been no connections to the original trilogy!

Did anyone know that Queen Amadala was elected, and she is 14 years old? Naboo is a pretty stupid planet then.
Because every 14 year old is a moron, of course. BTW I'm sure any 14 year old would do much better running America than what we have right now. I'd say Naboo is pretty smart compared to us.

Good things pointed out by Kevin and Mike is that the force was meerly used as a conveneince to the story. Kevin singing part of the famous Madam Butterfly aria. The absurdity in giving R2D2 a medal for bravery, and the ridiculous constant costume changes Queen Amadama.
Whatever. It's a movie get over it. BTW were you expecting the force to not be in the movie or something? That would have been a pretty crappy Star Wars movie.

The music, I'm sorry but John Williams emphsizes stuff where music wasn't even needed. There is nothing grand, or operatic about fixing a jet engine, or Anakin showing his friends his room. Are those scenes where someone can think back and say "Oh John is using the Anakin can fix things motif"?
The point was that Qui Gon Jinn was realizing what a prodigy Anakin was that he could fix an engine by himself. Although I do have to agree on this one the music did swell up a bit too much a few times.

And as good as the special effects were, they were only good back in 1999, for some reason digital effects just look awful faster than the previous effects. So we can't even say that the implementation of special effects were monumental.
That criticism makes no sense at all. The special effects suddenly weren't good when this came out because they are dated now? Do you expect films that were made a while ago to just randomly get better special effects over time? So every movie made more than five years ago that has any special effects is suddenly a bad movie?

Besides Jar Jar who was really annoying, I like this movie. I never understand why it gets so much crap from people. And BTW, because I hear this all the time, saying this movie ruins the franchise is an incredibly stupid statement. So Empire Strikes Back is now a bad movie because you didn't like Phantom Menace? If it's bad it only ruins itself.