login

Author Topic: This movie was bad  (Read 26635 times)

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: This movie was bad
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 07:15:07 AM »
I can see where you're going with that. WYou can see it already starting to happen in return of the Jedi with the Ewoks (woulda been so much cooler with the Wookiees). I mean, come on . . . little teddy bear creatures taking out a group of (supposedly) highly-trained troops with sticks and stones? I understand the point behind it, but disbelief can be suspended only so far.

A similar thing happened to Hitchcock (in my opinion, anyway). He was great when he was forced to play things with subtlety and intrigue, but when the "rules" were relaxed in the 70s, he came out with Frenzy in which he tossed subtlety out the window and threw the caziness and perversion right out there in your face. I'll take Rebecca or North by Northwest over that schlock any day.

Yeah, I remember seeing the interviews with Leanord Maltin in the last release of the original trilogy on VHS, he said Endor was originally supposed to be wookies, and I thought "Dude, that would have been SO much better!"  The reason he didn't is because he didn't think wookies would hold up very well as an isolated, primitive tribe when Chewbacca could fly spaceships.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »
They did pretty good with it in the books and games that have come out since the 90s. Basically, they're a mostly primitive people who live in giant trees, but are good with their hands, so they tend to like technology as much as tradition. Kinda like they were in Revenge of the Sith. Bleh.

Offline chaseredbat

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

^Is a 14-year-old dumass who, like me, will not realize how stupid he was at 14 until he hits about 21.  Also needs to ask God for a sense of humor as sort of a package deal with puberty.

first of all im 17 and just because i disagree with your opinion doesnt mean i dont have a sense of humor. i agree that episode 1 was dissapointing but it was still an enjoyable movie in my opinion. theres no need to call me a dumass (i think you meant dumbass) because i have a different opinion.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 08:49:35 PM »
On a personal note.  I myself did not realize how bad this movie was until I tried to put together my DVD cover for it.  It took me 5 tries to force myself to look for screencaps.  And I was just fast forwarding the movie, not watching it. 

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »
Over 8 months later and the title of this thread still makes me laugh. "This movie was bad."  :D

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2007, 08:13:58 AM »
Over 8 months later and the title of this thread still makes me laugh. "This movie was bad."  :D

Haha, I know, I thought the same thing - but you have to admire someone who gets to the point :)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »
It does seem to ring true more for this movie than any ot the other ones so far.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 07:41:58 PM »
I can see where you're going with that. WYou can see it already starting to happen in return of the Jedi with the Ewoks (woulda been so much cooler with the Wookiees). I mean, come on . . . little teddy bear creatures taking out a group of (supposedly) highly-trained troops with sticks and stones? I understand the point behind it, but disbelief can be suspended only so far.

A similar thing happened to Hitchcock (in my opinion, anyway). He was great when he was forced to play things with subtlety and intrigue, but when the "rules" were relaxed in the 70s, he came out with Frenzy in which he tossed subtlety out the window and threw the caziness and perversion right out there in your face. I'll take Rebecca or North by Northwest over that schlock any day.

Yeah, I remember seeing the interviews with Leanord Maltin in the last release of the original trilogy on VHS, he said Endor was originally supposed to be wookies, and I thought "Dude, that would have been SO much better!"  The reason he didn't is because he didn't think wookies would hold up very well as an isolated, primitive tribe when Chewbacca could fly spaceships.

Another thing that he went back on in the prequels aside from the Wookiees was the style of lightsaber fighting. In one show I saw, Mark Hamill said that during the original trilogy, he tried to work some more flair into the lightsaber duels, but Lucas said that the lightsabers were supposed to be too heavy for that. Then TPM rolls around and Ewan and Liam are twirling their lightsabers all over the place.

Offline chaseredbat

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »
That criticism makes no sense at all. The special effects suddenly weren't good when this came out because they are dated now? Do you expect films that were made a while ago to just randomly get better special effects over time? So every movie made more than five years ago that has any special effects is suddenly a bad movie?

I expect a slow exponential decay of its asthetic qualities, I also expect that films made similarity afterwards would use it as a model.

Star Wars (1977) did just that because there were some physicalities in some of the effects, especially the very simple use of moving a camera through a model. It was state of the art for 1977 standards, and I dare say it was very good up until the early 90's when movies like Jurassic Park came out. A 20 year track record is very good.

Just as I would say the same thing about King Kong 1939 up until Star Wars. Everything used King Kong as a model, and it was King Kong(Harryhausen fans I am sorry to say that) that was the best at it for a very long time.

But Phantom Menace looks horrible, to say that the effects get old with time is an understatement, this has the same decay as an atom of californium. There isn't much to say about Phantom Menace in this department, because where Star Wars was indeed a new model for special effects, Phantom Menace was not for the cgi generation.

so your pretty much saying that any action movie that doesn't revolutionize special effects is a bad movie. so are king kong star wars a new hope and jurassic park the only action movies you have every liked? how depressing.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:18 PM »

first of all im 17 and just because i disagree with your opinion doesnt mean i dont have a sense of humor. i agree that episode 1 was dissapointing but it was still an enjoyable movie in my opinion. theres no need to call me a dumass (i think you meant dumbass) because i have a different opinion.

Nothing personal, and I'm not saying I never make mechanical or grammatical errors, but you're kind of undercutting yourself when you post something written like this and then pronounce yourself a non-dumbass who is one year away from college age.  Shift key, and punctuation, and all.  You're just giving those who disagree with you ammo.

As to the MC's, they never really bothered me until I read the script of that scene between Qui-Gon and Annie The Boy.  Somebody needs to send Lucas to dictionary.com and tell him to look up "symbiotic."  I'm no biology major, but If life couldn't exist without the MC's, well-- then they really don't need our cells, then do they? 

DO NOT WANT.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 05:30:38 AM »

If he'd just devoted a little screen time to the backstory of the Wookies being enslaved and Chewbacca being rescued by Han it could have worked.  Show the Wookies as having a simple background, but proving amazingly adaptable.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline prestonp

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »
It was a horrible idea to have Anakin build C3P0. For one, where does a boy slave get the and expertise necessary to do this. Secondly, what are the odds that said droid will keep crossing paths with said creator but the creator does not even seem to acknowledge this?

It causes suspense of disbelief and continuity issues; not to mention it was completely unnecessary.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
It was a horrible idea to have Anakin build C3P0. For one, where does a boy slave get the and expertise necessary to do this. Secondly, what are the odds that said droid will keep crossing paths with said creator but the creator does not even seem to acknowledge this?

It causes suspense of disbelief and continuity issues; not to mention it was completely unnecessary.

The crossing of paths is something that's bothered me more and more since, especially after seeing Empire Strikes Back again for 3PO being right there in front of Darth when they're freezing Han.  I guess it's possible to just say one protocol droid is so much like any other he didn't notice, or that he simply didn't care anymore. 

It also makes me roll my eyes every time I hear 3PO say "Thank the maker" in New Hope, knowing now that he's thanking the villain. 

The whole part with Anakin knowing how to put together a droid didn't bother me, since he was owned by a dealer in mechanical junk and stuff.  For the Star Wars Universe I guess it'd be on par with a young kid learning how to work on cars (though the age of the kid still seems odd) the part that I find unreasonable is that a slave would have access to all those parts.  Did Watto give them to him?  Did he steal them and the damn pig-elephant-fly didn't notice?

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
The thing that I think is hardest to explain is how an eight-year-old, with no apparent computer programming ability has somehow programmed an A.I. with as much sophistication as a protocol droid who is fluent in over six million forms of communication would have to have.  Of course, it is possible, I suppose, that he found a pre-programmed droid "brain", perhaps one that was discarded from a factory because it was malfunctioning, and got a friend who knows about computer programming to help him fix whatever malfunction there was.  Or maybe he found the brain of a protocol droid that Jabba the Hutt got angry with and had "disintegrated".
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »
Well, 3PO only claimed knowledge of 6 million forms etc etc in the original trilogy.  Perhaps that kind of thing was programed in later after his memory wipe.

That doesn't explain how his head instantly could control a battle droid while retaining his personality, but still attacking...I mean that'd work as a Futurama gag, but in Star Wars it just came off dumb.

gum.co/RFTthing