login

Author Topic: Movies that no one but me seems to like  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: Movies that no one but me seems to like
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »

The Police Academy series. Granted, I don't think I ever saw the last one when they goto Russia or something... but most of the other ones do share a special place.

Revenge of the Nerds II. 38 Special did the theme song, Curtis Armstrong, Bradley Whitford playing the 30 year old, receeding hairline college kid, the unparrelled Larry B. Scott and I always had a thing for pre-Melrose, Summer School era Courtney Thorne-Smith. If you can believe it, it's even better than that made it sound.

Summer School. Doesn't really belong here as everybody loves Summer School.

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Did you know...?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
I was also a fan of 8MM.  Not to be confused with 8 Mile.
Snowhead the Blue Reindeer gave me all the presents in the world.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
I was also a fan of 8MM.  Not to be confused with 8 Mile.

I actually kind of liked 8 Mile, god that's embarrassing.  I was expecting it to be much, much worse. Maybe my expectations were low so it seemed better.  The first and only time I watched it I thought it was pretty well put together and Eminem was pretty good.  8MM is ok too.

Total Recall is one of my favorite movies of all time. I liked Last Action Hero. I thought that was hilarious. It was Ahnold doing a satire of himself.  I think it just flew over the American publics' heads (I haven't seen either in a while, I should rewatch). 

I love Disney movies, a lot of people do too but it's embarrassing when someone sees my collection and then notes that I don't have kids (which they always do, "Why do you have these? You don't even have kids. . . ").

I like Jack Frost (the Michael Keaton one).  I lot of people have railed on it but it's a sweet film. I watch it every Christmas.  Granted, it's cheesy but who needs movies to be all non-cheesy all the time?

Here's one you'll all groan about: I actually liked The Lakehouse.  I know, I suck.  I'm generally not into chick flicks.  Give me blood and guts over mush and love...but I liked this one.  It was totally cheesy, you could totally see where it was going but I still liked it.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 03:16:31 PM »
I like Jack Frost (the Michael Keaton one).  I lot of people have railed on it but it's a sweet film. I watch it every Christmas.  Granted, it's cheesy but who needs movies to be all non-cheesy all the time?

I totally forgot about that movie, whenever i hear Jack Frost i think of the MST3K episode (which is hillarious by the way)

Oh and i do remember two other that i love. that is the Rainbow Bright and Original Strawberry Shortcake series. I loved them when i was little and id love to get them somehow so that my kids could see them. oh well someday i guess. i may just need to search more

Offline PJD

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
Here's one you'll all groan about: I actually liked The Lakehouse.  I know, I suck.  I'm generally not into chick flicks.  Give me blood and guts over mush and love...but I liked this one.  It was totally cheesy, you could totally see where it was going but I still liked it.
"whoa I'm kissing the chick from Speed"

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 07:24:56 PM »
Here's one for 'ya:

Mannequin 2: On The Move

Yes, a SEQUEL to the horror known as the original Mannequin starring a young and very cute Kristy Swanson!

Yes it's goofy, yes it's painful, yes it's funny. And yes, it stars a very effeminate Meshach Taylor!

Top that one!!   ;D

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
The Mummy
Unbreakable
Godzilla movies
The Mummy Returns
The Crying Freeman
Batman Forever
Schizopolis
90% of slasher movies
straight-to-video monster movies

Although every time I glance at bitchy 'worst movie' threads I find hudreds more.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:36:45 PM by ScottH »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kiiml

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • This used to be the pacific ocean
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »
The Pest
I only saw it once, but it was still lots of fun.

The Village
It didn't turn out the way I hoped it would, but I still liked it. I wanted to see more of the creatures (I love movie monsters) but once it occured to me that's not what the movie was about, I was cool with it.

All M. Night Shyamalan movies

Dreamcatcher
Stephen King is a perv, a horrible perv, but I still think Crash McCreery made some cool-looking monsters for it. Again, I'm a sucker for cool monsters.

Finding Nemo
I love that movie with all my heart. Ellen was so funny in it. Weird, I just noticed that Finding Nemo is right next to my copy of Predator on my movie shelf.

Lady in the water
I'm a sucker for cool monsters, like wolves made out of plants. And evil monkeys made of trees.

Enemy Mine
I think the alien character could've been designed a little better. I only found it because Lou gosset Jr. (the alien guy) does the voice for an alien in Half-Life 2.

Moses! Move the bike!

Offline legmuscle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
So if I have it right this is a "guilty pleasures" thread, but not really. I'm up for that.
Lessee...

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Nothing like the books, not much happened in it, it's as 80's as all get-out, but it's one of those movies that's just compulsively watchable. I wish they'd made more.

Both the Charlie's Angels movies
What's wrong with thirtysomething bimbos doing extreme sports and karate-ing people to death while stuff explodes in slow motion? Not much as far as I'm concerned.

Transporter 2: The Transportining
I will admit that this movie has its flaws: It takes Newtonian physics out to the back nine, beats them with a sack of potatoes, and leaves them for dead. I, however, don't see that as a reason do dismiss what is an excellent vehicle for Jason Statham and both of his emotions: Vague Annoyance and Barely Contained Rage. Which coincidentally sums up the reactions that most of my friends have when this movie comes up in conversation.

Galaxy Quest
This movie did the impossible for me: It showed me that in modern cinema there are feasible uses for Tim Allen. I really enjoyed GQ when it came out but it's one of those movies that just kind of came and went. There were some really funny performances by Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman, but the film itself just seemed to get lost in the shuffle. Darned shame.

Offline nakedandsavage

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 04:33:04 AM »
Think I might be the only person in the world (according to IMDB anyway) who likes the Scifi channels own "movies",especially the giant critter ones.
I have always liked The 5th element so was especially pleased that Mike chose that.Also enjoyed Lost in space,not as good as the series (how could it be without the original Dr.Smith?).I really love Strange Days too,Juliette Lewis mmm.MST3K films I actually liked as films were Moon Zero 2,Squirm and even Alien from L.A. (not seen it not MST'd though).Like practically any creature movies,cheesy horror & scifi.Most of my collection is films that none of my friends have ever heard of.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »

I once saw Jack Frost when I went to visit my brother who was going to the University of Notre Dame.  It was on Showtime, or HBO, or one of those movie channels.  I think they must have been having a 24 hour marathon of it because it was on every single time we turned on the TV.  I didn't really like it, but we kept watching it because it was the only thing on.  Well, that's not true, but it was like we couldn't not watch it.  It was like... have any of you seen that Magic Bullet infomercial?  The one with the overly enthusiastic blonde lady and her vaguely British husband?  And the middle-aged lady with a cigarette wearing what appears to be a nightgown?  It's the greatest info-mercial ever made.  I watch it and feel like buying a Magic Bullet just to justify them keeping that info-mercial on the air.  Anyway, Jack Frost was like that for me.

An anime movie that my friend Kurt and I liked, but the rest of my friends hated was Deep Blue.  Anyone see that?  It's interesting.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »
Super Mario Bros. I loved this movie, gets lots undeserved hate
Galaxy Quest was great
Waterworld, We like it very much.
Last Action Hero, it was a lot of fun, it was perfect for my age at the time
The Fifth Element
Lost in Space, it wasn't bad, but it left kinda disappointed because it was kinda depressing

there's more i cant think of

oh yeah, and Evil Dead movies and Batman Returns don't count because LOTS of people like those movies
I really do like pie.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Super Mario Bros. wasn't bad, it just had nothing to do with the games.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 10:20:35 PM »
Super Mario Bros. I loved this movie, gets lots undeserved hate
Galaxy Quest was great
Waterworld, We like it very much.
Last Action Hero, it was a lot of fun, it was perfect for my age at the time
The Fifth Element
Lost in Space, it wasn't bad, but it left kinda disappointed because it was kinda depressing

there's more i cant think of

oh yeah, and Evil Dead movies and Batman Returns don't count because LOTS of people like those movies
Batman Returns, no. But I salute the brave soul who will admit to liking Batman Forever. :^) Jim Carey was an ideal Riddler, Uma made a good Poison Ivy. We even got Bane in a never-mentioned cameo role. :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 10:23:52 PM »
Batman Returns, no. But I salute the brave soul who will admit to liking Batman Forever. :^) Jim Carey was an ideal Riddler, Uma made a good Poison Ivy. We even got Bane in a never-mentioned cameo role. :^)
[/quote]

Yeahbuhwhat?

And Bane was in Batman & Robin, which is why everyone forgets about him.