login

Author Topic: The magic of Christmas  (Read 8689 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: The magic of Christmas
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2006, 05:34:03 AM »
My opinion is simple: leave Christmas alone because I like it the way it is

Alright Minnesota, I'll go easy on you, but only because I live in you.

pwnd :) Yeah, you can go back to the Christmas discussion now(sorry if I killed it). Anyway, cool a fellow Minnesotan on the board!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:08:48 AM by Minnesota »

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »
Long time ago, I was dirt poor.  Well, my parents were poor and it just kinda trickled down to me.  Anyway, they would often scrimp and save and borrow and go into debt to get both me and my sister Jeni each one really "GOOD" gift.  One year, I asked them if I could have a Colecovision.  The look in my mom's eyes told me right then and there that they couldnt' afford it.  I reconsidered in a split second and before she even began to speak I told her a lie.  "Uh... I mean Atari, like Darryl has".  Her eyes and facial language told me she might be able to afford that a bit easier, and I didn't get my colecovision, but I got the Atari 2600 for chirstmas.  In that split second, I knew that accepting gifts with happiness, even if you wanted something else is part of christmas, and making others feel good is what christmas is about.

(On a side-note, two years later, I DID get a Colecovision for my birthday, and when I got it home, it started smoking, I took it back, got another one and it burst into flames.  I was NOT meant to have a colecovision console as a child.)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
Long time ago, I was dirt poor.  Well, my parents were poor and it just kinda trickled down to me.  Anyway, they would often scrimp and save and borrow and go into debt to get both me and my sister Jeni each one really "GOOD" gift.  One year, I asked them if I could have a Colecovision.  The look in my mom's eyes told me right then and there that they couldnt' afford it.  I reconsidered in a split second and before she even began to speak I told her a lie.  "Uh... I mean Atari, like Darryl has".  Her eyes and facial language told me she might be able to afford that a bit easier, and I didn't get my colecovision, but I got the Atari 2600 for chirstmas.  In that split second, I knew that accepting gifts with happiness, even if you wanted something else is part of christmas, and making others feel good is what christmas is about.

(On a side-note, two years later, I DID get a Colecovision for my birthday, and when I got it home, it started smoking, I took it back, got another one and it burst into flames.  I was NOT meant to have a colecovision console as a child.)

That's a lovely story. I especially enjoyed the exploding Colecovision.  ;)

Offline DoctorZ

• Schnappi Supporter
  • It may stop, but it never ends.
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2006, 07:04:04 AM »
I don't think the Christian Churches have ever been really all that comfortable with the concept of Christmas.  The date was chosen, as many here have already said, to try to circumvent and absorb a pagan feast that would not be suppressed no matter how hard they tried.  Face it, winter sucks in the far northern latitudes (and the far southern ones for that matter) .  It's dark, dreary and depressing most of December (or July for our Australian and the like friends) so a festival during this time of year is important to keep peoples spirits up.  The Christian churches would rather have Easter as a major celebration, but nailing up and killing Jesus for 3 days, (and it's your fault!) isn't as pleasent as a new born baby, so there.  Every attempt by Calvinist haters of Christmas has met with failure, so just give up and be happy for a few days.  Where's the harm?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:06:33 AM by DoctorZ »
" A woman who takes her husband about with her everywhere is like a cat that goes on playing with a mouse long after she's killed it." SAKI

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »

That's a lovely story. I especially enjoyed the exploding Colecovision.  ;)

Yeah, but I only had to wait another 15 years for emulation to catch up.  Not to mention that liek 7 or 8 years after my story, I got a Nintendo.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2006, 01:47:24 PM »
Yeah, but I only had to wait another 15 years for emulation to catch up.  Not to mention that liek 7 or 8 years after my story, I got a Nintendo.

Better yet, you never had to put up with that unbelievably ridiculous disc-on-a-stick controller.

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2006, 08:17:46 PM »
I'd have put up with it for Ladybug, Roc'n'Rope, a much better Donkey Kong, Turbo (Steering wheel anyone?) and a whole lot more.

I plan to buy my mom and dad something nice this christmas.   Probably DVD's.

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2006, 11:20:11 PM »
I could be considered a Scrooge. 

The only Christmas magic I've seen is in movies.

So tell me, have you experienced Christmas magic?  Is it really a magical time of year like all these songs keep insisting it is?

Depends on why you celebrate it =)

Do you celebrate "annual gift-giving day"? Or do you celebrate the birth of Jesus? Or perhaps the miracle of Hannukah?

Cuz if you /just/ celebrate the potential "I might get something awesome today" commercial side of things, you may not experience very much "magic" beyond the age of ten or so ;)

....I sound like Linus don't I? *sucks on thumb and holds blanket close*

Couldn't agree more, J-Proof. It goes beyond the gift giving and any of the tactile, material elements. It even goes beyond whether you've got your family around or not. It boils down to how you celebrate it internally.

To be completely sappy, I suggest to whomever is reading this thread to find a copy of "A Christmas Carol" and to read it if they've never read it before. My favorite quote is when Scrooge faces the Spirit of Christmas Future and sees his name on the gravestone.

Scrooge pleads,"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach.".

I think that says it all.

x2.  when i think about the giving aspect of it, i get a warm & fuzzy. and as a christian i can say that meditating on the birth of Jesus & hearing those beautiful christmas carols fill me with wonder and awe.   :)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 12:54:28 AM »
Was that anything like the Intellivision controller?

Sort of.  Basically, it was what the Intellivision controller would look like if the little disc part popped a boner.  So instead of controlling the game with your thumb, you had to try to eke precision control out of this stiff, inch-high joystick; a difficult proposition in any case, but doubly so when it's topped with a quarter-inch thick disc with a greater diameter than the height of the stick.

I realize I'm not explaining this very lucidly.  Suffice it to say, the Colecovision controller was poo poo.

I concur with your assessment of the Intellivision's relative ass-kickingness, though; especially Bay Seventain Baaalllmer.  Great stuff.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
EDIT:  Huh, it seemed to have worked...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:55:17 AM by varietyofcells »

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2006, 11:51:49 AM »

Is this it?  Yes?  No?

Yes.  It looks just like that little white square with the red x in it.
;D

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2006, 05:15:20 AM »

Is this it?  Yes?  No?

Yes.  It looks just like that little white square with the red x in it.
;D

Curse that Red X!