Author Topic: Notes to Hollywood  (Read 6376 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Notes to Hollywood
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
I've never heard the album but I'm thinking it should be either Julie Taymor (say what you will about Across the Universe, but she is a visual virtuoso, which is always a plus for musicals) or John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig and the Angry Inch).  I don't know how old Ace Face's character is, but reading up on the musical but sting was in his late twenties when he did the role.  I had  hard time thinking of a cool young British actor who could be a mod, but then I thought of Cillian Murphy.  Do you think he could do it?

Ren-fests are a source of cheap humour, and yet, to my knowledge no one has done a comedy about them.  So if there was a comedy about Renaissance fairs, would it be a light-hearted or mean-spirited comedy and who would be hilarious as an average shlub pretending to be an old-timey person?

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »
I've never heard the album but I'm thinking it should be either Julie Taymor (say what you will about Across the Universe, but she is a visual virtuoso, which is always a plus for musicals) or John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig and the Angry Inch).  I don't know how old Ace Face's character is, but reading up on the musical but sting was in his late twenties when he did the role.  I had  hard time thinking of a cool young British actor who could be a mod, but then I thought of Cillian Murphy.  Do you think he could do it?

That sounds pretty good.  As far as directors go...I'd actually go with Alan Parker (the guy who directed The Wall and Mississippi Burning).  Quadrophenia is all about the unwashed working classes and youthful, frustrated masculinity as opposed to strictly great visuals alone (though those help).  I think Parker could capture both.  I've heard good things about Hedwig and the Angry Inch, though.

Ren-fests are a source of cheap humour, and yet, to my knowledge no one has done a comedy about them.  So if there was a comedy about Renaissance fairs, would it be a light-hearted or mean-spirited comedy and who would be hilarious as an average shlub pretending to be an old-timey person?

Definitely light-hearted.  It should make fun of some of the ridiculous aspects of ren-fests, sure, but the characters themselves should be sympathetic.  I think it'd be funnier that way.  As for the main character...Jason Schwartzman, perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:15:04 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »
Well, there wasn't a follow up there, so lets move on to the next one.  Who should play William Jefferson Clinton in a movie?

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »
Wasn't that role already filled by John Travolta?
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »
Well, that was a Clinton surrogate.  Doesn't count.  Oh, if only Phil Hartman was still alive.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
OK, I guess he could be played by Billy Bob Thorton.  After thinking long and hard he's the only one who came to mind... and it's really hard to eclipse Phil Hartman.

Now:  Chico and the Man: the Movie.  Should it be done? If so, who would direct the movie?