Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 102015 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #885 on: August 17, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
What I really don't understand is that the SDCC has PLENTY of money: why can't they just rent out a HUGE auditorium nearby (like, where U2 might play) and have the biggest panels there?  That way, no-one would have to wait in line at all (except if they wanted the best seats) and more of the nitty gritty of the Con (dealer rooms, company booths, etc.) would get more traffic (and therefore more sales).

People having to camp out even overnight is too much, though I understand that some would to get right up front regardless.  And larger auditoriums would mean more people doing as Darth Geek did - watching on huge monitors - but they'd still get to be 'in the presence' of the people they admire so much without it taking a 36:1 ratio of waiting to seeing anything.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #886 on: August 28, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
In case anyone wants to dress up in Marvel or DC style...

picture is link

They are amazingly cheap: $250 for most, $350 for the 'Dark Knight' Joker one (since it has a vest and long outer jacket).  There are many more than the three shown here, including an 'under cover' Avengers one, a Cap one, a green question mark covered Riddler one, and more both DC and Marvel.  The best ones I think are Iron Man, Superman, and Batman (plus the Dark Knight Joker one and the Riddler one are each pretty good).

EDIT:  The details are pretty cool.  For instance, here's the back of the Iron Man suit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:20:41 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #887 on: September 30, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
I think Spider-Man/Deadpool might actually be the best Deadpool book right now. It's got the mix of pathos and comedy any good Deadpool book needs, and it's an actual MIX. Not just a switch that the writers flip back and forth. I would not be sad if it became his main book, like his Cable and Deadpool days.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #888 on: October 05, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe hardcover graphic novel drops today. I expect to be reading it with a big dopey grin on my face throughout the week. :^)
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #889 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »
Slapstick comes out today!

I hope 20 years of anticipation, clinging to his every appearance and hoping against all odds for this day hasn't set me up for disappointment.

EDIT: I am pleased with this new title and I really hope I'm not the only one buying it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:51:52 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #890 on: February 21, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
Has anyone not tried Marvel Unlimited that would like a free one month trial? I have one I can give away, but it's only good today?

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #891 on: February 21, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
Has anyone not tried Marvel Unlimited that would like a free one month trial? I have one I can give away, but it's only good today?

Claimed.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #892 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »
Lately, I've been reading a lot of 70's era Marvel books due to a big sale on Essentials trade at my local comic shop.  Man, characters seemed kind of extra childishly jerky to each other at the time.  Still, some good stuff (Cap and Falcon vs the Secret Empire is pretty fun) and I'm sort of impressed how much I like Gerry Conway's Fantastic Four run.  There's nothing that particularly sticks out as to what makes it feel like a cut above except that it's just fun.  Also, Medusa was on the team for a surprisingly long time.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #893 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
So....

In June DC is doing a bunch of crossovers... between DC and Warner Brothers characters. Batman v. Elmer Fudd. Jonah Hex/ Yosemite Sam. Lobo/ Road Runner. Etc.

I'm not sure if this is brilliant or insane.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #894 on: April 16, 2017, 03:44:11 AM »
If only it were their animation department(s) doing this...  I can just hear it:

"Be vewwy vewwy quiet ... I'm hunting Batmen... Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh."

[Oh, and I think I'll go with "brilliantly insane". :)]

How about Hawkgirl and Tweety Pie?  Hawkman and Foghorn Leghorn?  Wildcat and Sylvester?  The Flash should really be with Road Runner, but since they're putting Lobo with him(?!?!), we'll have to go with Taz (who would have actually paired FAR better with Lobo than Road Runner!).  J'onn J'onzz and Marvin.  Granny and Wonder Woman.  Zatanna and Witch Hazel.  Darkseid and Ralph Wolf.  Booster Gold and Pepe LePew.  Gossamer and Gorilla Grodd.  Daffy Duck and The Question.

Any others people think should be linked?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:25:31 AM by LucasM »

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #895 on: April 20, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
In regards to the Captain America twist...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #896 on: April 20, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
I hate Nick Spencer.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #897 on: April 20, 2017, 10:32:45 PM »
Really? Of all the "Marvel will just undo that in a few months" plot twists, this is the one they're gonna double down on?

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #898 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
Yeah, this seems... incredibly ill-conceived, especially considering the world we live in now.  I think it's a terrible idea that apparently the default Marvel Universe
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #899 on: April 21, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
I'll be the odd man out here and say that I LOVE what Spencer is doing. I really enjoyed Standoff and have been following the Cap Steve book. If I knew that this stuff was going to be permanent I would be more concerned, but the setup to this event has struck my fancy perfectly and has actually gotten me interested in Cap for the first time in years. I dunno...just another perspective.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.