Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164995 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #780 on: October 29, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
In the All-New, All-Different Squirrel Girl #1, it's stated that while her parents assumed she was a mutant, she got a bill of health from a doctor stating that she wasn't and that they don't know where the squirrel powers and tail came from. (And then on to a gag stating that it might have been the Gamma Rays or cosmic radiation or radioactive bites that she was exposed to during her mom's "eventful" pregnancy.)

If it IS, in fact, a move to get her slipped quietly into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's a clever one. I wonder how many assumed-mutants they can smuggle back in.

If you say, "oh wow: we never looked at it before, but the thing we thought was the 'mutant gene' was actually the 'Inhuman gene' and everyone we thought was a mutant was clearly exposed to terrigen mists around puberty..." they can get away with retconning pretty much all but the X-Men who have already appeared in film.  ::)

Of course, that can/would/will piss off 99% of the readership.

I'm wondering that would actually hold up? I don't see how you could take back something that would have to have been assumed to be owned by Fox up till that point.

But then I also wonder about Namor's rights. A character long before Fantastic Four or X-Men, tied heavily to both, especially since he was retconned to be a Mutant.

But I believe the Namor rights were with another company before Fox got the rights to the mutants, and it's unclear where they are now.

Apparently 1/2 with Universal, 1/2 with Marvel.... :o
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #781 on: October 29, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »
But we know for a fact now that Hulk isn't with Marvel, so we also know that chart is making some assumptions.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #782 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »

"Stan, I don't own you."
"Nobody does. I'm the wind, baby."

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3702
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #783 on: October 30, 2015, 02:31:46 AM »
Well they still managed to snag Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and those two are about as mutant as you can get. They couldn't CALL them mutants, but nothing else changed. The rules are fuzzy. Maybe if there's a strong enough association with the Avengers they get to use them? But then that would mean they could use Wolverine, which they can't of course...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
« Reply #784 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:09 AM »
Well they still managed to snag Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and those two are about as mutant as you can get. They couldn't CALL them mutants, but nothing else changed. The rules are fuzzy. Maybe if there's a strong enough association with the Avengers they get to use them? But then that would mean they could use Wolverine, which they can't of course...

I think since Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were Avengers for so long (issue #16, 1965) they've got almost as much history there as they do with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (X-men #4, 1964).  Whereas Wolverine didn't come along til the end of Hulk #180 (1974).

Or it could be that certain characters were delineated in the licensing agreement as 'exclusives', with just generic 'other' included or approved on a case-by-case basis.

But we know for a fact now that Hulk isn't with Marvel, so we also know that chart is making some assumptions.

I thought it was just distribution rights for solo Hulk that were still with Universal, since Incredible Hulk was still a Marvel Studios film, fully within MCU continuity?  Granted, distribution rights is where the largest chunk of profit comes in, so it may as well be their licensed property, as far as what Marvel can do with the character, but the licensing per se, I thought, was with Marvel.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #785 on: October 30, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »
Yup. My understanding is that Marvel can make a Hulk movie whenever they want, should they want to give Universal Studios a boatload of distribution money.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
Ok, that could be the case.

I wonder if they will try and get Namor in universe before Aquaman comes and muddies those waters?
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #787 on: November 25, 2015, 11:28:40 PM »
Well, Dark Knight III came out today.

I'll be honest. I bought DKII when it came out and my recollection of it now is basically "Carrie wearing a kitten suit" and "Wow. Frank's artwork is not very good in this." I don't remember the plot at all.

For DK3, well, it's a thing, I guess. Andy Kubert did the pencils, so no one's looking like Prune Face from Dick Tracy in it. And Miller pencilled a little mini-comic bundled inside it with Ray Palmer, and it's actually not too bad. The artwork's a hell of a lot cleaner than I recall DK2's was. I'd credit it to the inking, but nope. That's still Klaus. I'm not really sure why it looks better.

I'm also not sure how much of this Frank wrote. There are bits that scream "Miller-style" but at the same time, Miller's made statements in interviews that sound like he didn't have a lot of involvement in it. (shrug)

Is it good? Um, maybe? Not? It certainly feels like "Yes, that was part of a story." There hasn't really been much that makes me go "Oh, Frank" yet, aside a reminder of "Yeah, that's not a good design for a character." It hasn't really passed a good or bad threshold in either direction.

A special bonus. Batman does an imitation of the Ice Cream Bunny. Spoiled because it is a spoiler for the plot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and in Squirrel Girl, Doreen is thrown back to the 60s and only her room mate remembers her. And Ryan North shows why when he's thrown back in time, he'll do just fine.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #788 on: November 26, 2015, 04:16:18 AM »
Found a copy of Jughead #2 with the variant cover done by the forum's own Hebs! (Veronica Fish)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #789 on: November 26, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
Her Howard the Duck cover is next week. I'll have to see if I can secure that cover...

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #790 on: December 10, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »
Her Howard the Duck cover is next week. I'll have to see if I can secure that cover...

Hey thanks!  Just found out that issue went into second printing - woot!  That was a fun issue to draw.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #791 on: December 10, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
Hebs!

I scored that comic last week and didn't realize at the time you were drawing the whole thing. Fantastic job. Congrats on making the big time!

Young Linda and Shocket were adorable. Good job on them!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4860

Offline Hebs

• Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #793 on: December 10, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
Hebs!

I scored that comic last week and didn't realize at the time you were drawing the whole thing. Fantastic job. Congrats on making the big time!

Young Linda and Shocket were adorable. Good job on them!

Thank you! It was very fun and thanks for the kind word :)  I think Chip can do anything.

Offline Hebs

• Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #794 on: December 10, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
http://comicsalliance.com/free-comic-book-day-2016-gold-titles-announced/

Alright - Archie is in there!  Please everybody get addicted to it and stay with it AT LEAST until issues 5 - 8 ;)