login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164833 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #690 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
Am I the only one who has thought this?  [If it's been discussed in the comics since the early/mid-'80s, I likely missed it.]

The Inhumans are genetically predisposed humans who were exposed to Terragen mists.

Terragen mists only affect genetically predisposed humanoid DNA.

Therefore, the Inhumans' transporter, Lockjaw, was never, and has never been, a dog.

You should see what they're doing with Eldrac in that regard.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #691 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
Am I the only one who has thought this?  [If it's been discussed in the comics since the early/mid-'80s, I likely missed it.]

The Inhumans are genetically predisposed humans who were exposed to Terragen mists.

Therefore, the Inhumans' transporter, Lockjaw, was never, and has never been, a dog.
I think that was a truth for a while, brought up in a John Byrne comic.  Eventually, they retconned it because it was too creepy and gross.

I don't know why it would be considered creepy (unless there've been scenes where Lockjaw was present for intimate interactions between other characters).

Now I'm curious how in the retconning of that they explained a dog being transformed by terrigen mist. ???

You should see what they're doing with Eldrac in that regard.

Hmmm... I'd never heard of Eldrac, but having just looked him up on the Marvel Wiki, it seems clear that between Byrne and whoever created Eldrac, I'm not the only one.  It is interesting that both of the two characters that appear not to be human or humanoid have the same gift of being transporters.  I'm curious if those at Marvel gave that any thought (possibly before creating Eldrac).

Ahhhh... the deep questions of the universe. ::)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #692 on: June 25, 2015, 06:18:12 AM »

I think that was a truth for a while, brought up in a John Byrne comic.  Eventually, they retconned it because it was too creepy and gross.

I don't know why it would be considered creepy (unless there've been scenes where Lockjaw was present for intimate interactions between other characters).

More along the lines of a severely disfigured human acting like a dog, doing dog stuff, licking people all the time, etc. is kind of unsettling.  It should also be noted that they never still never specify that he was a dog BEFORE he went in the mists (at least that I know of) and his wikipedia page refers to him as a "dog-like" creature, so make of that what you will.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #693 on: June 25, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »
He could be some manner of native Kree canine analog that is sensitive to the mists.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #694 on: June 25, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
He could be some manner of native Kree canine analog that is sensitive to the mists.

This makes the most sense of anything I've heard (other than a human transforming into a dog-looking creature... there's plant-looking Inhumans, so an animal-looking one isn't a stretch).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2015, 11:33:55 PM »
But the thing is, it is one thing if something looks like a plant or an animal, but Lockjaw, though treated with love or respect, is treated as an animal, not a being of higher level sentience.  It's OK for Lockjaw to pee on a fire hydrant, but you none of the other Inhumans are gonna do that.  He's more Krypto than Beast.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #696 on: June 29, 2015, 12:02:11 AM »
I just finished Old Man Logan and... I think to say "it gets kinda silly towards the end" would be putting mildly.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #697 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
Not American comics but Tokyo Pop has panels scheduled for this weekend's anime expo and SDCC. They had shut down US operations in 2011 but apparently might be making a comeback. Or something.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #698 on: July 02, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »
Not American comics but Tokyo Pop has panels scheduled for this weekend's anime expo and SDCC. They had shut down US operations in 2011 but apparently might be making a comeback. Or something.

I hope it's a panel to announce they are all being launched into the sun for being assholes.
FINE

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4845
« Reply #699 on: July 02, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Need context for that comment.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #700 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
http://www.comicsbeat.com/tokyopop-hey-dude-totally-bad-contract/

Pretty famous in the comics industry for fucking over everyone that signed with them, and then refusing to even negotiate the rights of the properties they signed when they folded.
FINE

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #701 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Ah.  Thanks!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #702 on: July 02, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »
Lots of chatter on Twitter right now from comic professionals, if you search tokyopop
FINE

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #704 on: July 04, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »