Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164894 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »

But Archie doing a kickstarter in order to publish Archie comics seems like Pepsi doing a kickstarter to keep Pepsi on the shelf.
Except that a lot of people actually LIKE Pepsi.

I'm with you, Pak, I don't get why Archie is still around at all. And given that they have 500 backers and haven't even made 10% of their goal yet indicates their fanbase is probably pretty small.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4845
« Reply #676 on: May 12, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
A large part of it is because of the Sonic comic.  I do find it interesting that the secret character from Sonic the Fighters is actually a full-fledged character in the comics now.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #677 on: May 12, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
They are going to Kickstarter to relaunch Archie, with cool mostly indie artists and writers, a move that could be very damaging for them. Who is buying Archie comics that isn't doing it for nostalgia reasons?

On top of that, it gets them covered by a lot of news sources and gets the word out there, and people get to take ownership of the relaunch.

It all makes sense to me.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #678 on: May 12, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Well the consumer benefits because when you take away the risk, the company becomes willing to put out things they wouldn't otherwise.

Every now and then, a fan of something says, "I'd pay like- $500 if they'd just make ______." Kickstarter is where you go to pay that $500. That's why I'm OK with Rifftrax going to the well when they want to do a live show. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be getting The Room live without it. They were able to do something they wouldn't have been able to otherwise, because the fans were willing to put their money where their mouth is and remove the risk of doing so.

But Archie doing a kickstarter in order to publish Archie comics seems like Pepsi doing a kickstarter to keep Pepsi on the shelf.

They are going to Kickstarter to relaunch Archie, with cool mostly indie artists and writers, a move that could be very damaging for them. Who is buying Archie comics that isn't doing it for nostalgia reasons?

On top of that, it gets them covered by a lot of news sources and gets the word out there, and people get to take ownership of the relaunch.

It all makes sense to me.

When put like that (from each of you), I get it.  [I was in a crap mood when I wrote the former post, so rather more pessimistic and cynical than usual.]  So yeah, for instance, when the updated/2nd printing of the huge Harryhausen 3-volume book set was being solicited, even though I already had the first set (thankfully, given their aftermarket prices), I still signed on to get the slipcased 2nd printings.  That was a collectible/film resource that - while the first set sold out and was in high demand - Ernest J. Farino (publisher, and - I just noticed when I watched it again after many years - creator of the title sequence for Cameron's 'The Abyss') could not have known would sell out in a second edition, as die-hard collectors tend to all want first editions.  With Kickstarter funding of a second printing, he knew his small business wouldn't go belly-up, and a bunch of the people who weren't able to get a set of the originals were able to get them.  [But then again: the Kickstarter promotional gifts for the different tiers ran virtually identically-priced to what they would cost normally.  When a commerce item is grossly overpriced for its donation tier, that's when I get irritated.]

But yeah, for a company that is - or has been - large to Kickstarter something, it seems Pak and I agree (i.e. that it is inappropriate).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:18:27 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #679 on: May 12, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »
I used to be against it more than I am now.

I get what it's meant for is bold new ideas from someone who isn't able to fund the project, but there's a lot of truth behind the fact that high profile kickstarters bring people to kickstarter who wouldn't have considered the idea before - And once you've kickstarted one project, you are much more likely to do it again (assuming your experience was positive - again, probably more likely with an experienced company).
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #680 on: May 12, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
I used to be against it more than I am now.

I get what it's meant for is bold new ideas from someone who isn't able to fund the project, but there's a lot of truth behind the fact that high profile kickstarters bring people to kickstarter who wouldn't have considered the idea before - And once you've kickstarted one project, you are much more likely to do it again (assuming your experience was positive - again, probably more likely with an experienced company).

I hadn't considered the 'crossover-traffic' aspect of it.  That is a good point, and - presuming the gift is commensurate with the 'donation' being asked - seems reasonable.

I believe I have to modify my irritation at big companies participating that way.  [Though it does still irk me a bit when a company with the resources won't take any risks with their own resources - it still smacks of the big Wall Street traders/companies and the 'too big to fail' banks too much for my taste.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #681 on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm super-excited about these projects (though if I read one of them, it might be Jughead simply because Jughead is objectively the best character) but I like that in the last 5 years or so, the company that represented a sort of ridiculous stagnation (or at least subbornness to change anything about itself) began experimenting with being a very different company.  I mean nothing to take away from what people liked before (and hey, they did do some stuff like the awesome Archie Meets the Punisher) but after cementing a very specific house style with only some rare deviations (there was a manga styled Sabrina about a decade before), their works are radically different now.  Heck, Sabrina is actually a horror series now.

BTW, it's nice to see the rare non-superhero shared universe, I am curious when they're going to bring back Captain Pureheart and Super-Teen.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
Ridiculous bunny armor is one thing, they better have a good excuse for him holding a damn gun.

A few months late but...

Batman disappeared/died and the Gotham PD decided that without Batman around, the criminals would go a bit nuts so they made a Batsuit and stuck Commissioner Gordon in it.

Yep, that's a thing.

While you could make a good story about this situation given the DCYou Universe's track record, I'm not expecting it to be good in practice.

And no, I don't know how this interacts with Bat-Mite, who has his own book now and is interacting with the non-Iron, non-dead Batman.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Oh, and the cover for Zim!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
Ridiculous bunny armor is one thing, they better have a good excuse for him holding a damn gun.

A few months late but...

Batman disappeared/died and the Gotham PD decided that without Batman around, the criminals would go a bit nuts so they made a Batsuit and stuck Commissioner Gordon in it.

Yep, that's a thing.

While you could make a good story about this situation given the DCYou Universe's track record, I'm not expecting it to be good in practice.

And no, I don't know how this interacts with Bat-Mite, who has his own book now and is interacting with the non-Iron, non-dead Batman.

Didn't they just do a long stint where Batman had died though?
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #685 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:18 PM »
Didn't they just do a long stint where Batman had died though?

2010-1 for the "Bruce Wayne is lost in time and thought to be dead" plot. Prior to that, the Knightfall plotline back in 1993, and he took some time off in the "One Year Later" timeskip in 2007, IIRC. Oh, and in the last movie too. You can probably toss Batman Beyond in there too, if you like. Both DC and Marvel are really bad about recycling plot lines lately.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #686 on: June 15, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
So, Batman 41 was a good intro and I'm interested in a Superman story for the first time since getting into comics. Convergence might have been a mess but I bought more DC this week than Marvel or Image for the first time ever...so something worked.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4845

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #688 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
Am I the only one who has thought this?  [If it's been discussed in the comics since the early/mid-'80s, I likely missed it.]

The Inhumans are genetically predisposed humans who were exposed to Terragen mists.

Terragen mists only affect genetically predisposed humanoid DNA.

Therefore, the Inhumans' transporter, Lockjaw, was never, and has never been, a dog.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:33:55 AM by LucasM »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #689 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:53 AM »
I think that was a truth for a while, brought up in a John Byrne comic.  Eventually, they retconned it because it was too creepy and gross.