Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164864 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4845
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 30, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #601 on: November 01, 2014, 05:49:58 AM »
BTW, "Court of Owls" absolutely amazing!

Fantastic Four... I never liked the "elastic" powers. "The Incredibles" showed how they might be practical, although even then, it was creepy. Actually, "The Incredibles" really showed up the FF for what they SHOULD be, in my opinion.

(Elastic powers includes the DC versions... just silly, and pointless...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #602 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »
Elastigirl worked because she was cute.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #603 on: November 02, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
You realize the DC characters with elastic powers are supposed to be silly, right?  And that the point was they were more light-hearted (Identity Crisis, not withstanding).  Plastic Man was the first major comedic superhero and Elongated Man (what an odd name) evolved from a simply fun detective hero to a Nick to Sue Dibny's Nora Charles.  That said, I can't imagine judging a character by their powers.  Plastic Man and Elongated Man are great.

Reading volume one of Locke and Key again.  Good stuff, but I'm not exactly hooked yet.  Still, interested in seeing where it goes when I finally get to the stuff I haven't read yet.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #604 on: November 07, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
Oh shit!  Kirk is going to ram a photon torpedo up their harry asses!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
This past week's pickups:
Death of Wolverine: Life After Logan #1
-3 stand-alone tales about Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and Armor mourning and honoring Wolverine in their own special way. Pointless but sweet and, actually, had 3 fitting send-offs for both Logan and the characters giving the honors.

Death of Wolverine: Weapon X #1
-Beginning of an ongoing series that takes place immediately after Wolverine's death - first appearance of the corpse since the deed was done (not a spoiler nor important, just an observation.)
It was an intro to a new group of characters so there wasn't a LOT that happened but I do think there's potential and am intrigued by the ending.

Birthright #2

-The first issue of this was my first non-hero comic on this comics resurrection that I'm going through. Fantasy and modern setting, almost a Mythago Wood meets Narnia by way of Jumanji type of thing. It really works and the art is BEAUTIFUL.

Tooth and Claw #1

-Epic fantasy featuring anthropomorphic creatures from all walks and flights of the animal kingdom. Beautiful art, fun world building...but a bit jarring seeing earth-based animals in an otherwise alien setting; however not enough to turn me away.

Wytches #1
-Scott Snyder and Jock put this out a few weeks ago and it sold out but I managed to find a lone issue hidden in a pile of X-men back issues still on the rack. It's a horror tale. It's pretty disturbing. It's freaking awesome.

Now I have a roster of stuff to follow in print and am going to see where that takes me. In the meantime I'm catching up on the last 20 years with the digital stuff.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Soguru

« Reply #607 on: November 26, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
There are so many Transformer comics and I just have a hard time getting into them because I'm so confused as to where I should start. I tried issue 1 of several different stories, but I still had no idea what the hell was going on. With comic books being $3.99 and up these days, I see comic books as too much of a frivolous investment. :(

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #608 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Considering the posing and commentary, I can't help wondering if it was repurposed from something more "adult"...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #609 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
There are so many Transformer comics and I just have a hard time getting into them because I'm so confused as to where I should start. I tried issue 1 of several different stories, but I still had no idea what the hell was going on. With comic books being $3.99 and up these days, I see comic books as too much of a frivolous investment. :(

If you wanted to drop some money on it and get caught up a little at a time, IDW has released these Transformers: IDW collections:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=idw+transformers+collection

They collect all the myriad comics into conveniantly ordered chronological collections. It's a journey I plan to take myself some day because I'm exactly where you are.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
I don't know if it's going to be good, but I love these covers for the recently announced Bill & Ted comic.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #611 on: December 07, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2398
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #612 on: December 08, 2014, 04:13:06 AM »

Archie:  "Come on!  I've already been shot once this year!"
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #613 on: December 08, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
I know there is at least two artists on this board who draws and likes comic, so if you are interested in joining Comics Must Be Good's artist line up for The Line is Drawn (a weekly feature where artists choose from and draw fan-suggested pictures), they are looking for new artists.  I tend to suggest a few every week (and some of my suggestions on the list of picture suggestions).

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/12/08/the-line-it-is-drawn-2014-call-to-artists/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #614 on: December 10, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
Currently reading the Complete Collection of Wolverine (Vol 1& 3) by Jason Aaron and LOVING this guy's work.

Just read the Spider-Man and Wolverine team-up Aaron did with Adam Kubert and loved every second of it.

(The rest of the haul from that sale: Remender's Venom vol 1, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1, Conan the Barbarian vol 14 - Queen of the Black Coast, Weapon X - Adamantium Men, Saga - Special Hardcover (This book is stunning), Batman - Hush Unwrapped, Batman - Year One, Wolverine by Aaron Vol 1 & 3...I'm not allowed to buy comics until the Wolverines series starts in January)

Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.