login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164788 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #420 on: March 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
I liked Heart of Ice a billion times more than the Century series. (Especially the 60s book)
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »
Read the Essential Ant-Man.  Man, that was like the one character in the early days of the Silver Age Marvel characters who had NOTHING that made him interesting.  Really thrown together.

Quite true, since he was initially designed as a one-shot short-story 'monster' story in Tales to Astonish before Marvel's superheros took off.  When the superheroes took off they basically thought, "what the hell - let's stick this guy in a costume."
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

Didn't actually get the "deluxe edition".  Anyway, big fan of Grant Morrison and of his Batman and Robin stuff, but this end was a bit disappointing.  It certainly is appropriately epic and crazy and there's some nice Frazier Irving art, but I found it a bit too dense for so little reward.  I usually don't mind Morrison craziness, but here it just didn't make for an entirely satisfying finale (also, it tied into The Return of Bruce Wayne and there was stuff that makes it a lot more confusing if you haven't read it).  The other problem I have is similar to a problem I often have with Morrison: really great ideas that don't feel like they have room to breathe, in this case Dr. Hurt's plot to turn Gotham into an "addicted city" which we get glimpses of but we don't get to spend to much time with.  Too much compression to really enjoy the stuff.

Still, overall I am positive about it, I just wish the breathless pace was in favour of either a simpler story (something I rarely expect or ask of from Morrison, but it really would have helped things in this case) or a story that allows breathing room.  Then again, maybe the idea was to pick it up from month to month and decompress it in those months, but as a whole it's just a bit too much.  I will say I liked how the Joker was used, overall.  A nice step back from the previous "super-nightmare" incarnation Morrison used in Batman R.I.P. without diminishing him as a threat.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #423 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »
Hey guys! I posted this in the Kickstarter thread, but I'm so close to my goal, and you guys like comics, so I figured I'd cross post here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/86891268/catbeard-the-pirate-book-three-shipwrecks-and-shed?ref=home_location

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4845
« Reply #424 on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #425 on: March 20, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »
Is that Superman a Kurt Swan issue?

Man, what gems those whacky panels are
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #426 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Might be someone else.  I usually find Swan's take a bit gentler.  But I could be wrong.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
Yeah; Swan's Supes tended a little more toward barrel-chested.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
Still catching up on Walking Dead.  On Vol. 14 now.  Also decided to pick up Captain America: Allies and Enemies anthology on a whim, but if the rest of the stories are like the first one, I don't recommend it.  Still, the last one is about Batroc the Leaper, so they can't ALL be misses.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted here yet.  Remember when Wolverine was played by Gary Busey?

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
Reading Paul Grist's "Histories", one of my all time fav sequential artists ever
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #431 on: April 25, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
From the Free Comic Book Day issue of Power Rangers:

Of all the characters to get hit by a car...

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »

Not my favourite Jeff Lemire book (and not quite as good as the hype), but a decent story and an overall good read.  I'd recommend Essex County and Sweet Tooth before this, but still very worth your time.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted here yet.  Remember when Wolverine was played by Gary Busey?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.