login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164870 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2013, 04:48:17 AM »
i've been reading random collected editions of recent story lines, among them some x-men, and i've just gotta ask: when and why did scott become such a dick to xavier?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Deadly_Genesis
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Reading Cardboard by Doug TenNapel with my kids.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #272 on: March 30, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »
So now that enough time has passed, what does everybody think about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:12:09 PM by Edward J Grug III »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2013, 05:01:13 AM »
I didn't read the story, but from what I understand, that was sort of the plan from the very beginning, so it doesn't bother me.  I just hope it was well done.  I'm way behind on the Grant Morrison Batman (I loved Batman & Robin), so I also hope the mess that is the new 52 didn't mess up the series to much (knowing Morrison, he probably ignored most of it anyway).

Also looking forward to Morrison's future Image work.  I love his super-hero stuff but after 6 years of Batman I'm looking forward to the other kind of stuff he can do.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #274 on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »

Man, I lost track of TenNapel all the way back at Tommysaurus Rex. I need to start ordering his books again...

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »

Man, I lost track of TenNapel all the way back at Tommysaurus Rex. I need to start ordering his books again...

Speaking of people whose work one stopped reading due to their opinions...
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
I read Before Watchmen Nite Owl and Silk Spectre today. Both are quite solid. Nite Owl focuses on Dan and Rorschach's early partnership, and the story it tells is pretty compelling. It has a lot of good imagery in it. Silk Spectre is Laurie's coming of age story, in that she runs away and becomes a hippy in San Francisco. If you've been on the fence about Before Watchmen, I have to recommend it. They are the best comics I have read this year. I haven't read a BW series I haven't liked so far. The biggest criticism I can give is that Ozymandias is a bit too arty for comic book sensibilities. I just have Rorschach and Comedian left to read.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2013, 03:28:13 AM »

Hadn't heard about any controversy.  What is said opinion?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:13 AM »

Hadn't heard about any controversy.  What is said opinion?

OpinionS. His old blog where he said some pretty vile stuff is now gone from the internet, but you can still find writings from him around if you look.

http://bullypulpit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=867:11-great-arguments-for-incestuous-marriage&catid=46:bully-pulpit-blog&Itemid=70

(More in the 'Show other articles by this author' section at the bottom there)

http://www.breitbart.com/Columnists/Doug-TenNapel?page=1

Also, his book Black Cherry.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2013, 05:11:16 AM »
Hm... Didn't know that.  Then, I've only read one or two of his stuff.  Always weird when people whose work you like turns out to have some pretty disgusting opinions and/or behaviour.  I was never an Orson Scott Card fan, but I enjoyed Ender's Game and Ultimate Iron Man before learning about his rather aggressive stance on homosexuality that turned me off to him as a person.

And recently I read about David Lynch appearing on foreign TV to imply 9/11 was an inside job.  Not as bad, but depressingly stupid for a director I really respect.  Didn't turn me off of his art, but made me think "really?"

But it's weird; there are certain works where I can separate the art from the individual and those where I can't.  Obviously it can be hard when one informs the other.  But I like Rosemary's Baby and the Tenant despite the fact that Roman Polanski is a fucking rapist.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2013, 05:16:41 AM »
Yeah, I do my best to separate art and artist too, but when they are aggressive about it...
FINE

Offline Swiffer

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
  • Stompin' to my beat
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
Used to be a big comic book reader in the 90's... didn't like D.C., but loved Marvel, Image, and Valiant. And some indie stuff like Bone and Cerebus.

I recently got my hands on D.C.'s "Death in the Family" series, it's like 50+ issues (including prologue and epilogue) of the return of Joker, causing havoc and killing dozens. It's pretty interesting, pretty dark, but I'm not really hip to much of the cast... like Suicide Squad, and all of the Robin characters like Nightwing... and the new Robin is a ten year old kid... that's Bruce Wayne's SON? Wha--? Who's the mom?

What are some good comic series to get into? I'm looking for some storylines that are already completed, like some graphic novel series, etc. I loved Sandman, Walking Dead... I'm open for suggestions.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
DMZ is my favourite recent completed series. (I love the current stuff Brian Wood is doing too, especially The Massive, but I am also enjoying Conan for the first time!)

Planet Hulk was an amazing fairly self contained series.

Currently I am really loving Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Dial H.
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
I don't have any subscriptions this week. Somebody recommend a good graphic novel or collection. Thanks.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
If you've never taken the plunge, I'd recommend The Tick: The Complete Edlund. If you HAVE taken the plunge, I'd also reccomend the spin-offs, Man Eating Cow, and Paul the Samurai.

All for sale (And some on-sale) here:

http://www.necpress.com/Ticksearch.aspx?q=[COMPWORKS]

I also really enjoy Scud: The Disposable Assassin: http://www.amazon.com/Scud-Whole-Shebang-Rob-Schrab/dp/1582406855