Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164996 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Today's comic book batch was a bit of a disappointment. It was my last issue of Justice League Dark, and it wasn't as strong as the end of the previous arc that ended with the annual earlier this year. I really didn't want to drop the series, but I've decided I can't support Jeff Lemire anymore. He said some pretty immature things about Orson Scott Card a couple weeks ago that struck me as childish and unprofessional, and I have grown pretty weary of comic writers acting like whiny children. I replaced the series in my hold with Dial H, which is pretty good so far. The other three books I read today were Fantastic Four, Uncanny Avengers and Age of Ultron, and none of them seemed to advance their stories in any significant way.

HOWEVER! I read all four issues of Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan last night, and I gotta say, it was pretty awesome. So far I have read Minutemen, Ozymandias, Moloch and Dollar Bill, all of which were great, but JMS kind of blew them all out of the water with this one. I think I want to read Rorschach next. I am enjoying the whole Before Watchmen thing quite a bit.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
HOWEVER! I read all four issues of Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan last night, and I gotta say, it was pretty awesome. So far I have read Minutemen, Ozymandias, Moloch and Dollar Bill, all of which were great, but JMS kind of blew them all out of the water with this one. I think I want to read Rorschach next. I am enjoying the whole Before Watchmen thing quite a bit.

Has Straczynski written all the miniseries in 'Before Watchmen'?  I'm kind-of a Straczynski addict and I've tried to read as much as possible that he's written.  [I became a fan with Babylon 5, still the most potent SF filmed in my opinion.  (That is despite season 4 and 5 feeling 'off' because he'd been told there would be no season 5, so had to separate the storylines that would've been throughout both seasons into basically one story per season, making their presentations awkward.)]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:05:26 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
I really didn't want to drop the series, but I've decided I can't support Jeff Lemire anymore. He said some pretty immature things about Orson Scott Card a couple weeks ago that struck me as childish and unprofessional, and I have grown pretty weary of comic writers acting like whiny children.

What'd he say?
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
He wrote Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl and Moloch. He ALSO wrote Superman: Earth One, which is STELLAR!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I'd rather not say.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »

Can you link to it or something? I just googled it and I can't see anything except hims saying he was happy OSC's story wouldn't appear in the same series as his.
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
That's it.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
I would advise you to never read the opinions of anyone related to any entertainment you consume, because if that was enough to get you to drop a series you enjoyed, you won't be left with much.
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
You gotta understand, that day OSC was on the verge of being bullied out of the new Superman series because of his politics. I'm not a big fan of people trying to deprive someone of anything just because of their politics, and that day his artist quit because of it. There was a huge dogpile on Card that day by comic writers on Twitter and the whole thing just smacked of childishness to me. I thought "why should I look up to these people when they act so immaturely?" And I saw that remark from Lemire and I was just like "Okay, fuck you dude."

Yeah, you're right about not trying to find out what most writer's actually think. I was really liking Justice League Dark, and I wasn't particularly looking for this when I saw it. Shame.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
I don't think this would be a fruitful argument, but since Orson Scott himself is a bully, and over far more important things than writing Superman comics, I certainly have no sympathy for him.
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
That's your prerogative, man. I won't hold it against you.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
I really didn't mean to derail the thread like this. My bad. So to get things back on track, what does everybody think about THIS: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/03/22/batman-classic-tv-series-comic-jeff-parker-jonathan-case-michael-allred/

Personally, I'm stoked.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »
He wrote Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl and Moloch. He ALSO wrote Superman: Earth One, which is STELLAR!

Cool!  Thanks! :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5890
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2013, 04:36:55 AM »
I forgot to say that I also read Final Crisis recently.  As a Morrison fan, I was deeply disappointed.  A lot of good ideas and moments but overall it's just a mess and just plain not fun.  It was clearly a love letter to Kirby's DC work, but it feels like he was too invested in making a plot work (which it really doesn't) that he forgot to give us a reason to be invested.  I think Morrison doesn't get the credit he deserves for his character stuff, but here it's really missing.  Shame.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7126
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
i've been reading random collected editions of recent story lines, among them some x-men, and i've just gotta ask: when and why did scott become such a dick to xavier?
dF = 0
d*F = J